Old 20-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Ginger Gooner

Default Veg in the winter

--
New to gardening,
I have a nice plot of land in my garden that i have used this year for veg
had some nice crops of carrots beans peas sweetcorn etc but most now past
there best and have cleared what was left away.
Have dug up the plot and all very tidy but rather than waste the space over
the Winter is there anything i can plant out that will grow in the cold
weather and frost ready for spring????
any help would be great
tks
Kev

Old 20-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Adrian

Kev,

Had to delete the text of your question as my newsreader program
decided it didn't like something in it and was acting weird!

We plant garlic and Aquadulce Claudia broad beans in Autumn. They
survive just fine and give us earlier crops :-)

I expect there are loads more things that you could plant, hopefully
others can help.

Adrian.
Old 20-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Phil L

Adrian wrote:
:: Kev,
::
:: Had to delete the text of your question as my newsreader program
:: decided it didn't like something in it and was acting weird!
::
:: We plant garlic and Aquadulce Claudia broad beans in Autumn. They
:: survive just fine and give us earlier crops :-)
::
:: I expect there are loads more things that you could plant,
:: hopefully others can help.
::
:: Adrian.

your newsreader saw his entire post as a signature file because it began
with a sig seperator -- !

FWIW, we used to plant spring cabbage although I can't remember what time of
year they were planted out, they were there all winter long and ready in
early spring.

Old 20-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Max Wright

In message , Ginger Gooner
writes

--
New to gardening,
I have a nice plot of land in my garden that i have used this year for veg
had some nice crops of carrots beans peas sweetcorn etc but most now past
there best and have cleared what was left away.
Have dug up the plot and all very tidy but rather than waste the space over
the Winter is there anything i can plant out that will grow in the cold
weather and frost ready for spring????
any help would be great
tks
Kev

You don't say where you are, but in North London I have just sown/am
still sowing: winter spinach, chicories, endive, land cress, claytonia,
corn salad, winter lettuces, oriental mustards (mizuna, mibuna,
green-in-snow, giant red), winter radishes, winter turnips (roots and
greens). It might not be too late to start spring cabbages either. For
some of the leafy salads fleece or plastic may help. Some will yield at
a modest rate right through the winter.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 20-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Robert

Phil L wrote:
: Adrian wrote:
::: Kev,
:::
:
: your newsreader saw his entire post as a signature file because it
: began with a sig seperator -- !
:
: FWIW, we used to plant spring cabbage although I can't remember what
: time of year they were planted out, they were there all winter long
: and ready in early spring.

planted out in September

Old 20-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Ginger Gooner

Many thanks gives me loads to work on

Old 21-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:46:27 GMT, Ginger Gooner wrote:

--

Don't start your post that way. Hyphen-hyphen-blank is the
standard .sig separator and well-written newsreaders will

New to gardening,

And to newsgroups, I see. harumph!

I have a nice plot of land in my garden that i have used this year for veg
had some nice crops of carrots beans peas sweetcorn etc but most now past
there best and have cleared what was left away.
Have dug up the plot and all very tidy but rather than waste the space over
the Winter is there anything i can plant out that will grow in the cold
weather and frost ready for spring????

Winter veggie gardening is a fairly common practice here. I've
never bothered except for garlic, but one of my former cow-orkers
was a practitioner.

Some of his suggestions, as I remember them:

fall-sown broadbeans - even if the top growth of the seedlings
gets frozen, they'll regrow from below.

beets - leave in ground; make borscht from them even if they're
woody and inedible.

kale

swiss chard

cabbages

As for garlic, the old adage is "plant on the shortest day of the
year, harvest on the longest day of the year."

As our winters are about the same temp as the more reasonable
parts of the UK, these may work for you.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Winter veg for school project Stan The Man United Kingdom 4 17-11-2009 10:38 PM
What veg are good to grow over Winter Baal United Kingdom 7 01-10-2008 02:49 PM
Winter veg. hostajohn Gardening 0 13-07-2006 03:47 PM
Winter veg Cat United Kingdom 6 31-08-2004 06:01 PM
Which winter veg to grow? encoderX United Kingdom 18 30-06-2003 06:45 AM