GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Courgettes going rotten (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82073-courgettes-going-rotten.html)

mike bailey 20-08-2004 09:52 AM

Courgettes going rotten

Once again my courgettes are not reaching maturity!
They get to the size of a large cigar and the end rots off. Any suggestions
please?
They are in a greenhouse if that makes any difference

--
Regular Gardener Mike

Martin Brown 20-08-2004 01:24 PM

In message , mike bailey
writes
Once again my courgettes are not reaching maturity!
They get to the size of a large cigar and the end rots off. Any suggestions
please?

It has been very wet so blossom end rot (and slug damage) has been a
problem this year. Small courgettes are very tender and excellent stir
fried with a hint of chilli and pasta.

They are in a greenhouse if that makes any difference

Mine are outside and cropping reasonably well now.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

David W.E. Roberts 20-08-2004 06:58 PM

"mike bailey" wrote in message
.. .
Once again my courgettes are not reaching maturity!
They get to the size of a large cigar and the end rots off. Any

suggestions
please?
They are in a greenhouse if that makes any difference

Are you picking the remains of the flower off the end once it starts to
fade?

The flower can go soggy and encourage rot.