Old 21-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Leslie

Default Runner Beans in Vinegar

Hello
I have this afternoon filled several jars with raw runner beans in vinegar.
I wonder if any of you out there have done the same. I intend during the
winter to fry these with onions and bacon. I have had no success what so
ever of freezing the beans as they always come out mushy.

So if you have stored your runners this way how were they .

.............................Leslie

Old 21-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Derek Turner

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:49:32 +0100, "Leslie"
wrote:

So if you have stored your runners this way how were they .

not tried vinegar but layering with salt in stoneware jars was /the/
way of preserving before the advent of freezers. as to mushiness, do
you blanch before freezing? are you using a freeezer designed to
handle the quantities? using fast freeze?
Old 22-08-2004, 12:41 AM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Leslie" wrote in message
. ..
Hello
I have this afternoon filled several jars with raw runner beans in

vinegar.
I wonder if any of you out there have done the same. I intend during the
winter to fry these with onions and bacon. I have had no success what so
ever of freezing the beans as they always come out mushy.

So if you have stored your runners this way how were they .

.............................Leslie

I wonder what you did wrong with your method of freezing to make them
mushy. I have frozen raw beans for about 10 years now and they ahve never
been mushy.

Old 22-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Tracey

"Leslie" wrote in message
. ..
Hello
I have this afternoon filled several jars with raw runner beans in

vinegar.
I wonder if any of you out there have done the same. I intend during the
winter to fry these with onions and bacon. I have had no success what so
ever of freezing the beans as they always come out mushy.

So if you have stored your runners this way how were they .

.............................Leslie

I've never had any problems freezing runner beans - I just blanch them, pop
into freezer bags and freeze.

Tracey

Old 22-08-2004, 07:54 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Leslie" wrote in message
. ..
Hello
I have this afternoon filled several jars with raw runner beans in

vinegar.
I wonder if any of you out there have done the same. I intend during the
winter to fry these with onions and bacon. I have had no success what so
ever of freezing the beans as they always come out mushy.

So if you have stored your runners this way how were they .

.............................Leslie

I've never had any problems freezing runner beans - I just blanch them,

pop
into freezer bags and freeze.

I have never blanched a bean in me life and still they never go mushy . I
have this theory about not making more work for myself than is necessary :0)

Old 22-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

So if you have stored your runners this way how were they .

not tried vinegar but layering with salt in stoneware jars was /the/
way of preserving before the advent of freezers. as to mushiness, do
you blanch before freezing? are you using a freeezer designed to
handle the quantities? using fast freeze?

My mother always used to slice and salt them, and IIRC they were delicious.

Mike.
Old 24-08-2004, 11:25 AM
David Hill

Just remember if you are going to salt them then you should use sea salt or
rock salt, not the ordinary stuff on sale as salt.
Also remember that they must be kept air tight otherwise they will become a
slimy mess.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-08-2004, 07:17 PM
David Hill

I would have thought it would be easier to make chutney from them

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 12:38 PM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 11:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 11:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 05:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 10:32 AM