Old 21-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Ben

Default fence/hedge in tarmac

I have an area of tarmac next to a public footpath. There used to be a
wooden fence but it was vandalised before I moved in and eventually
pulled down by the council (even though it was on my land). I'd like to
replace it, but don't much fancy the idea of digging up the tarmac to
put new fence posts in (is it as much work as it looks?) and fully
expect it would just be vandalised again anyway. The other idea I had
was to drill big holes in the tarmac and plant seedlings in the holes to
start a hedge, but I have no idea if this would work - how deep is
tarmac usually, and is there loads of hardcore underneath? Which idea
sounds least crazy?
Old 21-08-2004, 08:10 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Ben
writes
I have an area of tarmac next to a public footpath. There used to be a
wooden fence but it was vandalised before I moved in and eventually
pulled down by the council (even though it was on my land). I'd like to
replace it, but don't much fancy the idea of digging up the tarmac to
put new fence posts in (is it as much work as it looks?) and fully
expect it would just be vandalised again anyway. The other idea I had
was to drill big holes in the tarmac and plant seedlings in the holes
to start a hedge, but I have no idea if this would work - how deep is
tarmac usually, and is there loads of hardcore underneath? Which idea
sounds least crazy?

I think I'd replace the wooden fence with a breeze-block/brick wall -
more difficult to vandalise and anything the little wonders do to the
other side won't bother you. The roots of anything planted through the
tarmac are likely to damage more of the tarmac around the hole.

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
Old 21-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Ben

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Ben
writes

[...]

Hmm, sounds expensive. Also, they've done a pretty good job of
vandalising some brick walls round here lately by throwing rocks at them
- huge bits fall off. I actually do care what they do to the other side,
as I have to walk past it every day. I'd like to be able to see what
they're up to without them being able to climb over. Hence picket fence
with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the tarmac.
Old 21-08-2004, 09:10 PM
mike ring

Ben wrote in news:412792bb$0$950$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-
reader03.plus.net:

Hence picket fence
with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the tarmac.

From what theu do to brick walls of front gardens, and fences round here, I
would say get a good hedge in if you can.

For some reason they seem less attractive to vandals, and there are some
good prickly ones, I know of pyrocanthus, which is a real thug, and seems
bulletproof as well, and the birds love it in autumn - (I had the care of
one once), but I expect the good folks here know of some more evil species.

mike

Old 21-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Owain

"Ben" wrote
| Hmm, sounds expensive. Also, they've done a pretty good job
| of vandalising some brick walls round here lately by throwing
| rocks at them - huge bits fall off. I actually do care what
| they do to the other side, as I have to walk past it every
| day. I'd like to be able to see what they're up to without
| them being able to climb over. Hence picket fence with pointy
| top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
| the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac
| footpath any damage, although its planted in soil, not holes
| drilled into the tarmac.

It won't be cheap, but I'd suggest some type of industrial metal fencing -
the sort used on industrial estates to keep scrotes out. One popular type
has pressed metal verticals rivetted on to metal rails, set in either metal
or concrete main posts. The rails are on the inside, and the verticals are
pointy at the top, so it is very difficult to climb on/over, and because the
verticals are convex and metal they remain rigid and rather painful if
anyone tries bouncing off them. It's available in various colours, a dark
green is fairly smart and visually unobtrusive. You could then plant your
seedlings inside, you can get special biodegradable tubes for protecting
saplings. Without a fence your saplings will get vandalised or stolen.

Digging holes - if you are in an agricultural area it shouldn't be too
difficult to borrow or hire a Post Hole Borer.

Owain

Old 21-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Ben

Owain wrote:
"Ben" wrote
| Hmm, sounds expensive. Also, they've done a pretty good job
| of vandalising some brick walls round here lately by throwing
| rocks at them - huge bits fall off. I actually do care what
| they do to the other side, as I have to walk past it every
| day. I'd like to be able to see what they're up to without
| them being able to climb over. Hence picket fence with pointy
| top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
| the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac
| footpath any damage, although its planted in soil, not holes
| drilled into the tarmac.

It won't be cheap, but I'd suggest some type of industrial metal fencing -
the sort used on industrial estates to keep scrotes out. One popular type
has pressed metal verticals rivetted on to metal rails, set in either metal
or concrete main posts. The rails are on the inside, and the verticals are
pointy at the top, so it is very difficult to climb on/over, and because the
verticals are convex and metal they remain rigid and rather painful if
anyone tries bouncing off them. It's available in various colours, a dark
green is fairly smart and visually unobtrusive. You could then plant your
seedlings inside, you can get special biodegradable tubes for protecting
saplings. Without a fence your saplings will get vandalised or stolen.

I've been noticing a lot of that metal fencing around lately, it looks
fantastic in terms of being vandal resistant and impossible to climb,
but I don't think the neighbours would appreciate it and I think it is
pretty expensive

Digging holes - if you are in an agricultural area it shouldn't be too
difficult to borrow or hire a Post Hole Borer.

Ah yes, I've seen them make quick work of fence post holes. Can they get
through tarmac OK?
Old 21-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Ben

mike ring wrote:
Ben wrote in news:412792bb$0$950$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-
reader03.plus.net:

Hence picket fence

with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the tarmac.

From what theu do to brick walls of front gardens, and fences round here, I
would say get a good hedge in if you can.

For some reason they seem less attractive to vandals, and there are some
good prickly ones, I know of pyrocanthus, which is a real thug, and seems
bulletproof as well, and the birds love it in autumn - (I had the care of
one once), but I expect the good folks here know of some more evil species.

I was thinking of pyracantha, I've already planted some to stop them
climbing over a low fence and its vicious stuff :-) I guess, apart from
being spiky, the main attraction of a hedge is that its self-repairing.
Old 21-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Joe Fogey

You can get metapost type post holders that bolt into concrete. I don't know
if they would work in tarmac - it might be worth a try.

Fogey

Old 22-08-2004, 02:27 AM
N. Thornton

Ben wrote in message ...
dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Ben
writes

I think I'd replace the wooden fence with a breeze-block/brick wall -
more difficult to vandalise and anything the little wonders do to the
other side won't bother you. The roots of anything planted through the
tarmac are likely to damage more of the tarmac around the hole.

Hmm, sounds expensive. Also, they've done a pretty good job of
vandalising some brick walls round here lately by throwing rocks at them
- huge bits fall off. I actually do care what they do to the other side,
as I have to walk past it every day. I'd like to be able to see what
they're up to without them being able to climb over. Hence picket fence
with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the tarmac.

seedlings wont survive any vandalism, but ready grown plants will,
unless they pull them out before they root in.

To make a wall vandal proof, include plenty of galv iron wire in the
mortar. Unfortunately the galv will rust and pull the wall apart after
a couple of decades, stainless would be much better but I've never
found the stuff yet. And of course use either dense crete blocks, or
make a poured crete wall. Lightweight blocks are... lightweight.

Tall vertical iron railings are also pretty effective, and see
through.

Regards, NT
Old 22-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Mike

I was thinking of pyracantha, I've already planted some to stop them
climbing over a low fence and its vicious stuff :-) I guess, apart from
being spiky, the main attraction of a hedge is that its self-repairing.

I don't know if it applies to private property, but we have been warned that
if we plant a 'barrier' hedge such as spiky things, we could be prosecuted
if anyone gets damaged or their clothes are torn etc etc in this PC
world:-(( . This is in connection with a public path of over 130 metres
long bounding a piece of land owned by the Parish Council.

Might be worth checking.

Mike

Old 22-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Mike

seedlings wont survive any vandalism, but ready grown plants will,
unless they pull them out before they root in.

My Son-in-Law had £400 worth of hedging plants stolen just after he had
planted them. He planted again and this time through wire netting just under
the surface AND spray painted the plants a vivid colour so that 'IF' they
were pinched again, a quick visit to the local car boot sales would be
suffice :-))

They are now nice healthy bushes :-)) and of course the paint has either
worn off or has been grown over :-))

Mike

Old 22-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Ben

Mike wrote:
I was thinking of pyracantha, I've already planted some to stop them
climbing over a low fence and its vicious stuff :-) I guess, apart from
being spiky, the main attraction of a hedge is that its self-repairing.

I don't know if it applies to private property, but we have been warned that
if we plant a 'barrier' hedge such as spiky things, we could be prosecuted
if anyone gets damaged or their clothes are torn etc etc in this PC
world:-(( . This is in connection with a public path of over 130 metres
long bounding a piece of land owned by the Parish Council.

Might be worth checking.

Mike

Thats ridiculous, its only recently the police were saying don't use
barbed wire, you could be prosecuted, use a spiky hedge instead! They'll
be demanding a foam covered bouncy castle next. I'm seriously annoyed
with the police round here at the moment. a small minority of them think
its unacceptable to smash people's garden fences up, but the majority
seem to view it as a civil matter and nothing to do with them. If I hear
one more police officer say "there's nothing we can do" I don't know
what I'll do, but I'll probably get arrested for it! What really takes
the biscuit is a colleague of mine who's car was vandalised was told by
the police that they don't chase after vandals any more, because all
that happens is they just run away! Can I have my tax back please?
Old 22-08-2004, 11:36 AM
mike ring

Ben wrote in
:

What really takes the biscuit is a colleague of mine who's car was
vandalised was told by the police that they don't chase after vandals
any more, because all that happens is they just run away! Can I have
my tax back please?

In Essex they don't allow anything to interfere with their prime objective
of being a complete waste of space.

I understand the various forces have a league table for it (along with
motorway snooker)

mike
Old 22-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Mike

Thats ridiculous, its only recently the police were saying don't use
barbed wire, you could be prosecuted, use a spiky hedge instead!

I go along with what you say, BUT, this is Parish Council property and we
'have' to look at all the problems which 'might' arise over any action we do
:-((. The Council do have a £5m third party liability insurance, but don't
want take risks whereby a claim 'could' be made by their negligence. How
your household insurance would stand up I don't know.

Mike

Old 22-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y mike ring wrote:
Ben wrote in news:412792bb$0$950$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-
reader03.plus.net:

Hence picket fence
with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the tarmac.

From what theu do to brick walls of front gardens, and fences round here, I
would say get a good hedge in if you can.

For some reason they seem less attractive to vandals, and there are some
good prickly ones, I know of pyrocanthus, which is a real thug, and seems
bulletproof as well, and the birds love it in autumn - (I had the care of
one once), but I expect the good folks here know of some more evil species.

Does anyone know where you can buy seeds for triffids?