GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   yellow carrot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82176-yellow-carrot.html)

Ros Butt 22-08-2004 01:45 PM

yellow carrot

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.

Pam Moore 22-08-2004 04:10 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:45:27 +0100, Ros Butt
wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

Pam in Bristol

Tumbleweed 22-08-2004 10:40 PM

wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

Pam in Bristol

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Sacha 22-08-2004 10:46 PM

wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

Pam in Bristol

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

??? I seem to remember reading/hearing that they were purple?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 22-08-2004 11:29 PM

On 22/8/04 22:58, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:46:17 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/8/04 22:40, in article
, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

snip

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

??? I seem to remember reading/hearing that they were purple?

reading here even :-)

This newsgroup is a fund of useful information but sometimes I read
newspapers, too. ;-) There was quite a bit in the press on this matter a
few months ago.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kay 23-08-2004 08:39 AM

In article , Sacha
writes

wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

??? I seem to remember reading/hearing that they were purple?

That's my memory too, and it would make sense since IIRC the wild carrot
(Daucus carota) is whitish with purple streaks. I don't think we're
talking deep purple like an aubergine here, more the sort of streaky
purple that you get on stalks of umbellifers and even at the base of
the leaf stalks of the domesticated carrot.

--
Kay

Tumbleweed 23-08-2004 08:43 PM

k...

wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is

this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in

the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

Pam in Bristol

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were

the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

??? I seem to remember reading/hearing that they were purple?
--
Sacha

Seems we might both have been right?...if this is true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sc...00/2149842.stm

" Hundreds of years ago carrots came in loads of different colours, like
yellow, red, purple and even black, but not orange.
Orange carrots didn't go on sale until the 17th century when farmers in
Holland worked out a way to grow them orange, to celebrate their countries
national colour"