Old 22-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Martin C

Default Agapanthus with lots of leaf and little flower

The title about sums it up. We have two types of Agapanthus which have done
well in the past, buy this year (and last year) we had lots of leaf growth
but very little in the way of flowers.

We have a neutral sandy loam as soil and we have not been fertilising the
plants other than a general feed that I gave to the whole garden in the
Spring (via a feeder attached to a hose). I do this every year, so nothing
has changed there.

Anybody have any ideas why we should be getting so little flower lately. We
did divide them up a number of years ago. Could that have caused the
problem?

TIA
Martin

Old 22-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Bob Hobden

"Martin C" wrote ...
The title about sums it up. We have two types of Agapanthus which have

done
well in the past, buy this year (and last year) we had lots of leaf growth
but very little in the way of flowers.

We have a neutral sandy loam as soil and we have not been fertilising the
plants other than a general feed that I gave to the whole garden in the
Spring (via a feeder attached to a hose). I do this every year, so nothing
has changed there.

Anybody have any ideas why we should be getting so little flower lately.

We
did divide them up a number of years ago. Could that have caused the
problem?

I understand they do like to be rootbound so perhaps splitting them up has
been the cause. Which is why, when I planted them out, I just planted the
whole pot of plants as they had grown from seed, I didn't separate them.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:40:50 GMT, "Martin C"
wrote:

The title about sums it up. We have two types of Agapanthus which have done
well in the past, buy this year (and last year) we had lots of leaf growth
but very little in the way of flowers.

A very similar question was asked on GQT yesterday. Listen to it
again if you can, from the Radio 4 site. The advice was, they flower
best when potbound, don't let them go to seed, and tomato fertiliser.
They did well last year because of the long hot summer.

Pam in Bristol