Old 24-08-2004, 10:59 PM
R.H.

It looks very much like part of a Mincer for food. My mother had one
that looked almost identical to this.

Same here. Yes its part of a food mincer, used for making mince meat from
cooked meat.

The only reason that I don't agree is that I've looked at over a
hundred photos of them after doing an image search, and they all have
the handle on one side and an opening on the other side for the food
to exit, unlike the one in my photo. I'd be happy if you could prove
me wrong and find one like this, but I'd be surprised if it ends up
being a mincer. Michael, does your mother still have hers? Maybe you
could take another look and see how close the resemblence is.

Rob
Old 24-08-2004, 11:05 PM
R.H.

Admiralty Manual of Seamanship Vollume II B.R. 67 (2/51)
Chapter V Page 103 quote'

"To finish the knot, work all part taut and splice the end into the standing
part; alternatively, tie and overhand knot in the end and expand it by
tucking it inside the monkey fist, then work all parts taught as before"

I'll have to make my next one like that, I did make a monkey's fist
ball by cutting off both ends and tucking them in, it has a neat look
to it.

Rob
Old 24-08-2004, 11:24 PM
R.H.

Here is a list of possible answers that others have given (from this
board and others) for the chrome object with the clamp, maybe it will
spark an idea with someone.

-meat grinder/mincer (this one was suggested most)
-bottle holder for a boat
-garland holder
-drink holder
-tableside ice bucket base
-flower holder, clamps onto a casket
-tool that silversmiths use for making candle holders
-base for a tabletop carbonating machine
-used for hanging large banners from tables

I think that's all of them, hopefully I didn't forget any.
Old 24-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Kay

In article , R.H.
writes
It looks very much like part of a Mincer for food. My mother had one
that looked almost identical to this.

Same here. Yes its part of a food mincer, used for making mince meat from
cooked meat.

The only reason that I don't agree is that I've looked at over a
hundred photos of them after doing an image search, and they all have
the handle on one side and an opening on the other side for the food
to exit, unlike the one in my photo. I'd be happy if you could prove
me wrong and find one like this, but I'd be surprised if it ends up
being a mincer. Michael, does your mother still have hers? Maybe you
could take another look and see how close the resemblence is.

I didn't think 98 could be a mincer because it didn't have any
mechanism for mincing or any convincing way of joining one on. The old
fashioned mincer had a handle which turned a screw thread which carried
the meat to the cutting discs, the whole lot fastened firmly inside the
outer casing so the meat couldn't escape. The thing in the picture
didn't have anywhere to firmly attach any of this mechanism.

--
Kay

Old 25-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:13:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in

message
Franz wrote

"........I think you looked at the wrong picture. ........"

No .
Picture 94
if the swag was finished with a large knot or something similar

that
would
fit inside the "cup" then it would be hidden from sight.
All that would be seen is a silver cup with swag coming from it.

The OP asked about picture 98.
{:-((

David is answering 98. He gave 94 as an example of how the swag

would
be attached to 98

Oh dear. Have I boobed again?
My apologies, David.

Franz

Old 25-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , R.H.
writes
[...]

David Hill has given the right answer when all is said and done.

Franz

Old 25-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Mike

I'll have to make my next one like that, I did make a monkey's fist
ball by cutting off both ends and tucking them in, it has a neat look
to it.

Rob

Not much use as a weight on a heaving line, 'unless' you have
...e..l..a..s..t..i..c.. arms ;-}

Getting the first line across to a Tanker for Replenishment At Sea (RAS) is
an interesting one. A steel rod, put into the barrel of a rifle, with a long
length of line attached and STAND CLEAR.

Mike

Old 25-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:30:40 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in

message
Franz wrote

"........I think you looked at the wrong picture. ........"

No .
Picture 94
if the swag was finished with a large knot or something

similar
that
would
fit inside the "cup" then it would be hidden from sight.
All that would be seen is a silver cup with swag coming from

it.

The OP asked about picture 98.
{:-((

David is answering 98. He gave 94 as an example of how the swag

would
be attached to 98

Oh dear. Have I boobed again?
My apologies, David.

Does somebody have the solution to what the mystery objects are?

David Hill has posted the correct answer.

Franz

Old 26-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:21:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Does somebody have the solution to what the mystery objects are?

David Hill has posted the correct answer.

Are you sure?
I thought it was just another entry in the competition.

David stated his answer moderately clearly and with a confidence which
made me think that either he or his forebears actually possessed such
an article. His is also the only explanation which makes sense. All
the others were flawed.

Put it this way: If I had had swags on my curtains and somebody made
me a present of a pair of those objects, I would have no hesitation to
put them to the use which David suggested, and they would actually do
the job of containing the decorative swag-ends.

Franz

Old 27-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

Put it this way: If I had had swags on my curtains and somebody

made
me a present of a pair of those objects, I would have no

hesitation to
put them to the use which David suggested, and they would actually

do
the job of containing the decorative swag-ends.

Move over, Lawrence Lewellen Bowen.

You have awoken my curiosity.
It has been raining for as far back as I can remember. When will the
garden be in a state in which I can do anything pleasant and useful in
it again?

Franz

Old 27-08-2004, 11:05 AM
David Hill

Franz wrote..........
" Move over, Lawrence Lewellen Bowen.

You have awoken my curiosity.
It has been raining for as far back as I can remember. When will the garden
be in a state in which I can do anything pleasant and useful in it again?
.........."

How does the name Lawrence Lewellen Bowen make you think of doing anything
useful in the garden?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-08-2004, 12:15 PM
R.H.

wrote:

Does somebody have the solution to what the mystery objects are?

David Hill has posted the correct answer.

Are you sure?
I thought it was just another entry in the competition.

David stated his answer moderately clearly and with a confidence which
made me think that either he or his forebears actually possessed such
an article. His is also the only explanation which makes sense. All
the others were flawed.

Put it this way: If I had had swags on my curtains and somebody made
me a present of a pair of those objects, I would have no hesitation to
put them to the use which David suggested, and they would actually do
the job of containing the decorative swag-ends.

You may very well be correct about what this object is used for, but
after researching many unusual items I've found that the best way to
be sure is to find another one just like it being used as it was
intended. I've had experts in their field confidently identify
something for me, only to find out later that it was something
different. Unfortunately my hopes of finding another one of these are
dimming, but maybe one will turn up.

If anyone is interested, some new photos were just posted. I don't
know what number 101 is except that it's an old metal part from
something. I'm not really expecting to find the answer to it, but if
anyone wants to guess maybe that will lead to a solution.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Old 27-08-2004, 04:10 PM
R.H.

"Martin" wrote in message
On 27 Aug 2004 03:15:53 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

If anyone is interested, some new photos were just posted. I don't
know what number 101 is except that it's an old metal part from
something. I'm not really expecting to find the answer to it, but if
anyone wants to guess maybe that will lead to a solution.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

It looks like a bottle opener.
--
Martin

It does look like one, but it's larger than I would expect it to be and the
piece is round and thick compared to other bottle openers which are flat.
Someone else suggested it could be from a horse's harness or bridle. There
is a little corrosion along the inside of ends.

Rob

Old 27-08-2004, 08:32 PM
R.H.

"Martin" wrote in message
On 27 Aug 2004 03:15:53 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

If anyone is interested, some new photos were just posted. I don't
know what number 101 is except that it's an old metal part from
something. I'm not really expecting to find the answer to it, but if
anyone wants to guess maybe that will lead to a solution.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

It looks like a bottle opener.
--
Martin

I thought that I already replied to this post but maybe I accidentally sent
it just to Martin, I don't see my post on the board.

It does look like an opener, but it might be too big to be one. I measured
a modern day bottle opener and the distance between the two protrusions is
just over 3/8", the distance between them on the old metal piece is just
under 3/4". There is a little corrosion along the entire inside of both
ends on this piece, I added one more photo that shows a close-up of the
square end.

Old 27-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Franz wrote..........
" Move over, Lawrence Lewellen Bowen.

You have awoken my curiosity.
It has been raining for as far back as I can remember. When will

the garden
be in a state in which I can do anything pleasant and useful in it

again?

How does the name Lawrence Lewellen Bowen make you think of doing

anything
useful in the garden?

By making me realise that this thread has been off topic for about
five days now, and it was time to return to gardening matters, since
the problem was solved by you, no less, some days ago

Franz