Old 23-08-2004, 02:21 AM
R.H.

Default Anyone recognize this object?

I'm trying to find out the identity of an unusual object, it looks
sort of like a vase, but there is a large slot in the side and it has
a clamp on the bottom. I wanted to ask a florist newsgroup but
couldn't find one, so I thought I would ask here.

There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob
Old 23-08-2004, 09:49 AM
David Hill

There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Looks like a nice ornamental way of starting and ending a "Swag"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Robert E A Harvey

(R.H.) wrote
I'm trying to find out the identity of an unusual object...
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I reckon it's for displaying floral arrangements on the end of a
table, or something, in such a way that the stems need not be cut.

No. 94 is a knot called a "moneys fist" I know that. Used on the end
of heaving lines.
Old 23-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Mike

No. 94 is a knot called a "moneys fist" I know that. Used on the end
of heaving lines.

Not a 'proper' Monkey's Fist because the end has been brought out and
taped!!!!!! Shock Horror, and the size shows that there is not a ball inside
:-((

Now when we come to Brass Monkeys, that is a different subject, still
afloat, but a long way back, even before my time :-))

Mike

--
British Pacific Fleet Reunion Birmingham September 17th - 20th
H.M.S.Collingwood Assoc. Mini Reunion Weekend at Coventry Sept 24th - 27th

Old 23-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Tumbleweed

"michael2" wrote in message
om...
(R.H.) wrote in message

. com...
I'm trying to find out the identity of an unusual object, it looks
sort of like a vase, but there is a large slot in the side and it has
a clamp on the bottom. I wanted to ask a florist newsgroup but
couldn't find one, so I thought I would ask here.

There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

It looks very much like part of a Mincer for food. My mother had one
that looked almost identical to this.

Same here. Yes its part of a food mincer, used for making mince meat from
cooked meat.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 23-08-2004, 11:10 PM
R.H.

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Looks like a nice ornamental way of starting and ending a "Swag"

Thanks, I'll put that on my list of possibilities, the presence of the
clamp on this one leads me to think that there must be some type of
activity involvled with it, or an unstable environment.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:14 PM
R.H.

(michael2) wrote in message . com...
(R.H.) wrote in message . com...
I'm trying to find out the identity of an unusual object, it looks
sort of like a vase, but there is a large slot in the side and it has
a clamp on the bottom. I wanted to ask a florist newsgroup but
couldn't find one, so I thought I would ask here.

There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

It looks very much like part of a Mincer for food. My mother had one
that looked almost identical to this.

I've had a few people suggest meat grinder, but all of the ones that
I've seen have the handle on one side of it and the exit chute on the
opposite side. This object doesn't seem to be built like that, but if
you can find a photo of one similar I'd be convinced. I've looked and
couldn't find one like it.

Rob
Old 24-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Sacha

On 23/8/04 22:14, in article ,
"R.H." wrote:

(michael2) wrote in message
. com...
(R.H.) wrote in message
. com...
I'm trying to find out the identity of an unusual object, it looks
sort of like a vase, but there is a large slot in the side and it has
a clamp on the bottom. I wanted to ask a florist newsgroup but
couldn't find one, so I thought I would ask here.

There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

It looks very much like part of a Mincer for food. My mother had one
that looked almost identical to this.

I've had a few people suggest meat grinder, but all of the ones that
I've seen have the handle on one side of it and the exit chute on the
opposite side. This object doesn't seem to be built like that, but if
you can find a photo of one similar I'd be convinced. I've looked and
couldn't find one like it.

Rob

I think it contained a wine cooler.
--

Sacha

Old 24-08-2004, 01:36 AM
R.H.

"Mike" wrote in message ...

No. 94 is a knot called a "moneys fist" I know that. Used on the end
of heaving lines.

Not a 'proper' Monkey's Fist because the end has been brought out and
taped!!!!!!

Actually that is black string wrapped around the end, most of the web
sites with instructions show the one end like this. I didn't see any
that recommended that only one end should be out.

Shock Horror, and the size shows that there is not a ball inside
:-((

Good news! There is a 1/2" lead musketball inside, the rope is about
3/16" thick so there was plenty of room for a ball.

Now when we come to Brass Monkeys, that is a different subject, still
afloat, but a long way back, even before my time :-))

Mike

I don't know anything about brass monkeys.

Rob

Old 24-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message

There is a photo of it on the site below, it's number 98:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Looks like a nice ornamental way of starting and ending a "Swag"

I think you looked at the wrong picture.

Franz

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-08-2004, 11:32 AM
David Hill

Franz wrote

"........I think you looked at the wrong picture. ........"

No .
Picture 94
if the swag was finished with a large knot or something similar that would
fit inside the "cup" then it would be hidden from sight.
All that would be seen is a silver cup with swag coming from it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Mike

-- "R.H." wrote in message
om...
"Mike" wrote in message

No. 94 is a knot called a "moneys fist" I know that. Used on the end
of heaving lines.

Not a 'proper' Monkey's Fist because the end has been brought out and
taped!!!!!!

Actually that is black string wrapped around the end, most of the web
sites with instructions show the one end like this. I didn't see any
that recommended that only one end should be out.

Admiralty Manual of Seamanship Vollume II B.R. 67 (2/51)
Chapter V Page 103 quote'

"To finish the knot, work all part taut and splice the end into the standing
part; alternatively, tie and overhand knot in the end and expand it by
tucking it inside the monkey fist, then work all parts taught as before"

Shock Horror, and the size shows that there is not a ball inside
:-((

Good news! There is a 1/2" lead musketball inside, the rope is about
3/16" thick so there was plenty of room for a ball.

Jolly good.

Now when we come to Brass Monkeys, that is a different subject, still
afloat, but a long way back, even before my time :-))

Mike

I don't know anything about brass monkeys.

Rob

As in the cold, 'Cold enough to freeze the balls off a Brass Monkey'

Old 24-08-2004, 06:48 PM
David Hill

....................All that would be seen is a silver cup with swag coming
from it.

Martin then asked................
Clamped to a table or what?

I think I should have said Garland (though I was brought up knowing them as
swags)
http://www.ehow.com/how_6919_make-ev...n-garland.html

The holder could be clamped to any convenient surface.
Garlands were used to decorate Mantelpiece, sideboard stair case and other
places at Xmas time and for functions.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Franz wrote

"........I think you looked at the wrong picture. ........"

No .
Picture 94
if the swag was finished with a large knot or something similar that

would
fit inside the "cup" then it would be hidden from sight.
All that would be seen is a silver cup with swag coming from it.

The OP asked about picture 98.
{:-((

Franz