Old 23-08-2004, 08:47 AM
The Reids

Default Beetroot tops

Can we eat em?
Should we eat em?

Cooked, raw, deep fried?

I get the impression from "eating up Italy" that they are eaten
there, although Mathew Fort contradicts himself (?) seeming to
say beetroot at the start of the para' and spinach at the end.

crossposted
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.
Old 23-08-2004, 09:47 AM
David Hill

Cook like Spinach, they're great

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Judith Umbria

"The Reids" wrote in message
Can we eat em?
Should we eat em?

Cooked, raw, deep fried?

Mike Reid

Yes! Yes!
I have had to rescue them from the fruttovendolo here, so N Umbria isn't a
hotbed of beet green eating.
I put the beets in the bottom of a steamer and cook them almost done (never
peel them before and leave some stem on the beet,) then put the greens in
the top and steam them. They were a regular in New England. We all loved
them. My mother served them with melted butter and vinegar, but to me they
need nothing.

Old 23-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from The Reids contains these words:

Can we eat em?
Should we eat em?

Cooked, raw, deep fried?

Yes, there is an interesting beetroot and beetroot leaf recipe
in the July edition of 'Delicious' magazine.

It sounds interesting uses root, tops, chargrilled
red pepper,olive oil, sherry vinegar and anchovies

If you cannot get that edition let me know and I will e.mail
the recipe to you.
Jennifer
(cross posted)
Old 23-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Gary

The Reids wrote:

I get the impression from "eating up Italy" that they are eaten
there

At the risk of being pedantic, beet greens are the same thing as Swiss
Chard. Only difference is whether that variety has been bred for the root
or the top.
The Seed Saver's Exchange yearbook defines Chard as "Any beet grown for its
top."

Old 23-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Thes

Gary wrote:
The Reids wrote:

I get the impression from "eating up Italy" that they are eaten
there

At the risk of being pedantic, beet greens are the same thing as Swiss
Chard. Only difference is whether that variety has been bred for the root
or the top.
The Seed Saver's Exchange yearbook defines Chard as "Any beet grown for its
top."

Ideed. Strangely, in Australia the term "spinach" refers to chard/Swiss
chard/silverbeet etc, while spinach is called "English spinach". Kooky.

Old 23-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Gary

Thes wrote:

Strangely, in Australia the term "spinach" refers to chard/Swiss
chard/silverbeet etc

And there's Malabar Spinach, which isn't.

And in the American colonies, Jerusalem artichokes, which have nothing to
do with either.

Old 23-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Judith Umbria

"Thes" wrote in message
Gary wrote:
The Reids wrote:

I get the impression from "eating up Italy" that they are eaten
there

At the risk of being pedantic, beet greens are the same thing as Swiss
Chard. Only difference is whether that variety has been bred for the

root
or the top.
The Seed Saver's Exchange yearbook defines Chard as "Any beet grown for

its
top."

Hmm, in Italy Swiss Chard is 'Biettole' and beets are 'Barbiettole'. They
do taste quite different. I like both very much.

Old 24-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Arri London

The Reids wrote:

Can we eat em?
Should we eat em?

Cooked, raw, deep fried?

I get the impression from "eating up Italy" that they are eaten
there, although Mathew Fort contradicts himself (?) seeming to
say beetroot at the start of the para' and spinach at the end.

crossposted
--
Mike Reid

Stirfried with lots of garlic and served up with chile vinegar. Some
people do boil them to death with a bit of gammon knuckle or bacon.
Old 26-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Tim Tyler

The Reids wrote or quoted:

Can we eat em?
Should we eat em?

For the downside of eating beet greenery, I recommend you look into the
oxalic acid content of their leaves.
--

Carrots & beetroot - when ready? Sandra Bodycoat Australia 2 27-06-2007 03:00 AM
Beetroot Nitro® United Kingdom 2 28-05-2007 01:55 PM
Advice please about radish and beetroot scallyally Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2007 12:53 PM
Beetroot Darkginger United Kingdom 5 09-07-2003 12:41 AM
Beetroot farmerbrown.fsnet.co.uk@fs United Kingdom 1 26-02-2003 06:39 AM