Old 23-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Charles Turner

Default Ornamental Grapevine

Hi,

I've got an ornamental grapevine, now in its third year and it has gone
berserk covering the whole of our pergola.

I need to cut it back, any advice as to the best time of year to do it?

Thanks,

Charles

Old 23-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charles Turner" writes:

| I've got an ornamental grapevine, now in its third year and it has gone
| berserk covering the whole of our pergola.
|
| I need to cut it back, any advice as to the best time of year to do it?

After the leaves drop and before midwinter. You can pinch out
or otherwise remove very young shoots, but don't prune it hard
from late winter to autumn, or it will bleed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Charles Turner

Nick,

Thanks, but as the plant has well overgrown the pergola should I cut it back
to well below what I want the final coverage to be to allow (estimate) for
next years growth or is it possible to cut it as it grows next year?

Regards,

Charles

Old 23-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charles Turner wrote:

Thanks, but as the plant has well overgrown the pergola should I cut it back
to well below what I want the final coverage to be to allow (estimate) for
next years growth or is it possible to cut it as it grows next year?

It is possible to prune out young growth, but don't prune anything
that has hardened up between winter and autumn. You can certainly
keep pinching/pruning out the tips (I did), where 'tip' may mean
a foot of growth or more. However, if it has overgrown its space,
you may want to hit it fairly hard.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Discuss hypotheses proposes for seedlessness inheritance in grapevine Ramón Pérez Plant Science 1 10-10-2003 12:02 AM
Grapevine 'tree' JennyC United Kingdom 6 21-09-2003 11:03 AM
Grapevine Stuart Meier United Kingdom 2 05-09-2003 04:12 PM
Grapevine Stuart Meier United Kingdom 0 05-09-2003 06:32 AM
grapevine Paul Taylor United Kingdom 4 17-06-2003 11:23 PM