Old 23-08-2004, 03:04 PM
KK

Default Tomatos with tough skins

Hello,

Can anyone tell me why some of my Tomatoes have tough skins?

I grow my Toms in a small greenhouse in the sunniest part of the garden, in
the largest tubs I can buy. I water, feed, ventilate etc as best I can, but
still a few of my Tomatoes have skins so tough that they could be used to
protect a Challenger tank !!

Varieties - This year Moneymaker & Alicante, though I've had the same
problem before with others.

What am I doing wrong ?? All advice welcome

Thanks

KK

Old 23-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Franz Heymann

"KK" wrote in message
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why some of my Tomatoes have tough skins?

Were they preparing themselves against sunburn during the Olympics in
Greece?

[snip]

Franz

Old 23-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Kate Morgan

snip

Hello,

Can anyone tell me why some of my Tomatoes have tough skins?

Were they preparing themselves against sunburn during the Olympics in
Greece?

or insults from urglers

Sorry I cannot help you as it seems to be a very common complaint, my
husband is always moaning about it,I have mixed shop and home grown toms
and he notices no difference !perhaps old age brings blunt teeth :-)
Old 24-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Alan Gould

In article , KK .
freeserve.co.uk writes
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why some of my Tomatoes have tough skins?

I grow my Toms in a small greenhouse in the sunniest part of the garden, in
the largest tubs I can buy. I water, feed, ventilate etc as best I can, but
still a few of my Tomatoes have skins so tough that they could be used to
protect a Challenger tank !!

Varieties - This year Moneymaker & Alicante, though I've had the same
problem before with others.

What am I doing wrong ?? All advice welcome

Moneymaker are just what their name suggest, a tomato for commercial
growers. They have been especially bred with tough skins to make the job
of handling and packing them easier, and to withstand display and
customer prodding in supermarkets.

Alicante should not have tough skins though, they are a very popular
variety with recreational gardeners. If you know which plants are which,
check whether yours are as tough as the Moneymakers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 25-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Doug.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , KK

.
[...]

******
Well, now!,- if I don't go to the foot of our stairs!.
I always thought homegrown were best, especially in taste. I plant one
or two of each, of Money Maker, Alicante and Golden Delicious, and for a
few years, Shirley, which outclasses them all for fruiting, size and
taste. All have excelled themselves
as to growth and productivity: however, that said, this year the taste
of all of them is very disappointing despite my this year's renewing of
their raised beds with
well mixed compost of balanced materials, plus excellent weather and
heat. The skins seem to be alright though, I haven't noticed any
difference in toughness in that respect.
As mentioned in another post, this year I didn't use any diluted *tank*
which I learned from my Dad. It's sheepsh, (his word, not mine.)
collected from the nearby fields' That is, a few dollops of sheepsh in
a Hessian bag in a bucket of water in late Spring and diluted
to a pale straw colour when fed to the roots area when the plants are in
full fruit stage, just as they start ripening.
The taste of Golden delicious tomatoes has disappointed for a few years
now. Shan't grow them next year.
Doug.
******

Old 25-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Doug.
writes

[...]

The flavour of tomatoes and the toughness of their skins are two
different issues. Skin toughness is bred into the variety and I don't
know of any cultural method which can affect it. Flavour can and does
vary with variety, but the biggest effect on that is how they are grown.
Tomatoes lose a lot of flavour by being pushed on to grow more and
faster than they would do naturally. That way they finish up as
tasteless bags of mush, fit only for supermarkets.

We grow mostly Alicante or Ailsa Craig indoors and Gardener's Delight
outside, all for their flavour and texture. Shirley and Harbinger too
always give a delicious results. We grow them organically, so they get
their nutrition from the soil, taking it in as and when they choose. If
we did wish to feed them at all it would be with nettle infusion. We
also use nettle infusion on them for white-fly as a foliar application.
Once the aphids are gone, the infusion is ingested into the plant where
it acts as a tonic, improving both the flavour and the texture of the
fruits. It may also add some nutrients, but we don't make more than one
or two applications in a growing season.

Tomatoes like plenty of ventilation in moderate warmth, unlike cucumbers
which prefer still, very warm air and high humidity. That causes a
little difficulty if they are growing in the same greenhouse. Having
said all that, we intentionally cut down our number of tomato plants
this year, and yes you guessed it, they responded by producing the least
fruits each we've seen for years. There are still plenty for fresh use
though and their flavour is as good as ever.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 25-08-2004, 08:44 PM
vsop

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , Doug.
writes

[...]

How interesting ! My experiences this year mirrors yours completely
regarding reduced cropping and varieties etc.
However, I would very much appreciate more info on the subject of "nettle
infusion" as a means of controlling white fly on greenhouse
toms.........recipe, rates of application etc. Does it harm the fruit if
sprayed on them? Do you also use it as a root applied fertiliser in the
normal way ?

Each year my infestations of white fly get heavier and I simply cannot find
an answer to the problem. I have clouds of flies comprising millions.
Leaves and fruit are covered in black gunge excretions and I've tried all
sorts of proprietary sprays and have now reached the stage where I am
seriously thinking of ceasing to grow tomatoes anymore.

---

Old 25-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Alan Gould

In article , vsop
writes
However, I would very much appreciate more info on the subject of "nettle
infusion" as a means of controlling white fly on greenhouse
toms.........recipe, rates of application etc. Does it harm the fruit if
sprayed on them? Do you also use it as a root applied fertiliser in the
normal way ?

The urg nettle infusion FAQ is at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
have a look at that, then I'll fill in any further details you need.
Best wishes.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:44 AM
david taylor

The short answer is that I don't know. BUT
I have been growing tomatoes for 30 years, (Cheshire and Devon) preferred
variety Ailsa Craig with Sugarplum. This year It's those two with an Italian
befstake tomato.
I have grown other varieties except Moneymaker (prejudice on my part) and
have come to the conclusion that flavour seems to depend on growing
conditions -better in natural soil-and ensuring that the tomato ripens on
the plant.
Greenback can be avoided with Ailsa Craig by using more potash than is
normally included in commercial tomato foods.
I have found that Ailsa Craig ripening outdoors can have quite tough skins,
and in occasionally in past years the earlier ripening tomatoes had tougher
skins.
Tomatoes are sensitive to atmospheric humidity-pollination is a problem in
the dry. Humidity in the UK on average relates to the surrounding sea
temperatures and doesn't really start to get up until the end of July.
Humidity is also lower on the east side of Britain. It may be that hot days,
which will drop the humidity in the greenhouse and cool nights are a
problem.
Trying to be helpful!
Regards
"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , vsop
writes

Tomato Skins RayH United Kingdom 1 10-09-2007 07:45 PM
Bannana skins in water butt. p.mc United Kingdom 11 08-07-2004 09:02 AM
bananna skins as green, or yellow, manure Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 2 20-05-2004 09:08 AM
Tomatoes skins splitting AussieResc Edible Gardening 4 23-07-2003 10:32 PM
Composting Potato Skins Joe United Kingdom 4 28-04-2003 09:44 AM