GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystrey plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82286-mystrey-plant.html)

JennyC 23-08-2004 06:05 PM

Mystrey plant

Hi
A friend of mine has a plant/shrub in her garden which we can't seem to
identify.

It's tall - about 8ft tall ATM
Large green/greyish leaves
Leaves are sort of hairy to the touch
It's has white flowers that look like a large lace cap hydrangea
Deciduous
Grows well in the shade / damp

Don't have a picture right now, but will could get one in a week or two is
necessary.

Any ideas ?

Jenny

Kay 23-08-2004 08:44 PM

In article , JennyC
writes
Hi
A friend of mine has a plant/shrub in her garden which we can't seem to
identify.

It's tall - about 8ft tall ATM
Large green/greyish leaves
Leaves are sort of hairy to the touch
It's has white flowers that look like a large lace cap hydrangea
Deciduous
Grows well in the shade / damp

Don't have a picture right now, but will could get one in a week or two is
necessary.

Any ideas ?

Some of the Viburnums have lace-cap type flowers, see for example

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nychemun/cemetery/viburnum.jpg

(the leaves are wrong in this one).

--
Kay

Stewart Robert Hinsley 23-08-2004 11:08 PM

In article , Kay
writes
In article , JennyC
writes
Hi
A friend of mine has a plant/shrub in her garden which we can't seem to
identify.

It's tall - about 8ft tall ATM
Large green/greyish leaves
Leaves are sort of hairy to the touch
It's has white flowers that look like a large lace cap hydrangea
Deciduous
Grows well in the shade / damp

Don't have a picture right now, but will could get one in a week or two is
necessary.

Any ideas ?

Some of the Viburnums have lace-cap type flowers, see for example

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nychemun/cemetery/viburnum.jpg

(the leaves are wrong in this one).

The aspera group of Hydrangeas are in flower at the moment, and have
hairy stems and leaves, but it's only the outer flowers that are white

URL:http://images.google.com/images?q=Hydrangea+aspera
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

JennyC 24-08-2004 07:10 AM

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
JennyC writes
Hi
A friend of mine has a plant/shrub in her garden which we can't seem to
identify.

It's tall - about 8ft tall ATM
Large green/greyish leaves
Leaves are sort of hairy to the touch
It's has white flowers that look like a large lace cap hydrangea
Deciduous
Grows well in the shade / damp

Don't have a picture right now, but will could get one in a week or two is
necessary.
Any ideas ?

The aspera group of Hydrangeas are in flower at the moment, and have
hairy stems and leaves, but it's only the outer flowers that are white

URL:http://images.google.com/images?q=Hydrangea+aspera
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I think you have it Stewart ! Thanks
Jenny

Magwitch 28-08-2004 11:39 PM

JennyC muttered:

Hi
A friend of mine has a plant/shrub in her garden which we can't seem to
identify.

It's tall - about 8ft tall ATM
Large green/greyish leaves
Leaves are sort of hairy to the touch
It's has white flowers that look like a large lace cap hydrangea
Deciduous
Grows well in the shade / damp

Don't have a picture right now, but will could get one in a week or two is
necessary.

Any ideas ?

Jenny

Sounds like a very large/old Vibernam Plicatum... I didn't know they grew
that tall though, so more likely to be a hydrangea.