Old 24-08-2004, 03:00 AM
georgina

Default allotment

i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i could
plant at this time of year
could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
help!!!!

Old 24-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Mike

British Pacific Fleet Reunion Birmingham September 17th - 20th
H.M.S.Collingwood Assoc. Mini Reunion Weekend at Coventry Sept 24th - 27th
Nat. Service (RAF) Assoc. AGM & Reunion Hayling Island 8th - 11th October
www.nsrafa.com
"georgina" wrote in message
i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i

could
plant at this time of year
could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
help!!!!

The Allotment Gardeners Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh. Out of print, but there
is one for sale on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6921201 9
14&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

(watch the wrapround)

Currently £2.20 and 2 bids in. 10 day listing 7 days to go

If the above does not call it up, go to eBay and print the item number
6921201914 in search

Hope that helps

Mike

Old 24-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Robert

"georgina" wrote in message
: i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i
could
: plant at this time of year
: could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
: help!!!!
:
spring cabbages, overwintering onions, garlic, broad beans in a month or
two if you are not in a cold spot. Try Marshalls catalogue for some ideas.

Old 25-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Max Wright

In message , Robert
writes

"georgina" wrote in message
: i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i
could
: plant at this time of year
: could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
: help!!!!
:
spring cabbages, overwintering onions, garlic, broad beans in a month or
two if you are not in a cold spot. Try Marshalls catalogue for some ideas.

Where are you? I can only speak from North London experience. Here I
find it's still well worth sowing winter spinach, oriental mustards,
chicories, winter lettuce and other salad leaves such as land cress,
lamb's lettuce and claytonia. Some of these may benefit from protection
with fleece or plastic.
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Old 25-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Max Wright wrote in message ...
[...]
Where are you? I can only speak from North London experience. Here I
find it's still well worth sowing winter spinach, oriental mustards,
chicories, winter lettuce and other salad leaves such as land cress,
lamb's lettuce and

claytonia.

Some of these may benefit from protection
with fleece or plastic.

I've never got round to growing claytonia (aka "miner's lettuce", I
believe, because it will grow on the kind of soil often found round
coal-pits). Is it worth it?

Mike.
Old 25-08-2004, 07:05 PM
The Reids

Following up to georgina

i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i could
plant at this time of year

a new allotmenter on my site has just planted potatoes for the
autumn, it looks like they are "working".
I will be autumn sowing broad beans.
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.
Old 25-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Dave Painter

"georgina" wrote in message
i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i

could
plant at this time of year
could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
help!!!!

Plant some 'early' potato if you can. The earthing up and general
maintenance will improve the plot.
Don't expect too much but you should get something back to justify the
investment.

Dave

Old 26-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Max Wright

In message , Mike Lyle
writes

I've never got round to growing claytonia (aka "miner's lettuce", I
believe, because it will grow on the kind of soil often found round
coal-pits). Is it worth it?

I tried it for the first time last winter and am growing it again this
year. It's quite an interesting-looking little plant, and once it gets
going (in my limited experience, in early spring, but maybe I should
have sowed it in early rather than late August) it's quite productive -
I was gathering leaves and flower stalks from March to May and only took
it out then because I needed the space. It's also called winter
purslane and that's really what it's most like to eat. Supposedly very
shade tolerant too, but I haven't tested that.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Allotment vandalism Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 7 02-05-2003 12:56 AM
New Interest Group on ICQ for Allotment Gardeners Roberto United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 07:08 PM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 17-01-2003 12:27 AM
New Allotment Simon Diaz United Kingdom 6 20-12-2002 12:03 AM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 06:49 PM