Old 24-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Shallots

I have just started the laborious job of peeling our shallots ready for
pickling. I notice that a lot of them are quite green. Is this normal? Do I
need to keep peeling back until there is no green left?

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 24-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Cerumen

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
I have just started the laborious job of peeling our shallots ready for
pickling. I notice that a lot of them are quite green. Is this normal?

Do I
need to keep peeling back until there is no green left?

Green is fine, in fact I personally think the greener ones make crisper
and tastier pickled onions.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 24-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Bob Hobden

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote
I have just started the laborious job of peeling our shallots ready for
pickling. I notice that a lot of them are quite green. Is this normal? Do

need to keep peeling back until there is no green left?

No, as long as the brown outer skins are off it's OK.
Don't you pickle them a jar at a time, i.e. peel them and pop them straight
into a sterilised jar until it's full, top up with spices and vinegar and
seal?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 25-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

I soak them in brine for 24 hours first. Apparently(?) that way they keep
longer.

Jeanne

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote

Old 25-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Bob Hobden

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote ...
I soak them in brine for 24 hours first. Apparently(?) that way they keep
longer.

Well we have just finished a jar that was two years old and the shallots
were still crisp, crisper and a lot tastier than those fresh for the
supermarket. In all the years we have used this very simple method of,
peeling straight into the jar, adding our own spices and using plain Sarsons
malt vinegar, only one jar has ever gone soft.

13x 1ltr jars this year. :-)

Indegestion anyone?