Old 24-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Lee Davison

Default New guy seeks advice with plant care.

Hi,
I dont know if this is the correct forum but reading around theres plenty of
experience on here so someone might be able to advise.
I purchase about 2 weeks ago one of those carnivorous plants - a "sarracenia
hybride" according to the label. It was fine on my window cill until I
noticed the edges of the leaves turning brown. I left it on the bathroom
where it is more humid and it seemed to perk up. Now its back at the dying
stage. If I explain what it looks like can someone suggest a cu

The centre of the plant looks reasonably well and theres a new shoot coming
dead centre. Outwards from there it starts to die off, theres about a dozen
leaves which have gone light brown / whitey in colour, and theres several
more where the tips are turning brown, drying out and curling over and feel
crusty to the touch.
I water it every 2 days, Ive not changed anything since I bought it and
theres definately no bugs on it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Lee

--
"Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
www.geocities.com/ldavison10

Old 24-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Phil L

Lee Davison wrote:
:: Hi,
:: I dont know if this is the correct forum but reading around theres
:: plenty of experience on here so someone might be able to advise.
:: I purchase about 2 weeks ago one of those carnivorous plants - a
:: "sarracenia hybride" according to the label. It was fine on my
:: window cill until I noticed the edges of the leaves turning brown.
:: I left it on the bathroom where it is more humid and it seemed to
:: perk up. Now its back at the dying stage. If I explain what it
:: looks like can someone suggest a cu
::
:: The centre of the plant looks reasonably well and theres a new
:: shoot coming dead centre. Outwards from there it starts to die
:: off, theres about a dozen leaves which have gone light brown /
:: whitey in colour, and theres several more where the tips are
:: turning brown, drying out and curling over and feel crusty to the
:: touch.
:: I water it every 2 days, Ive not changed anything since I bought
:: it and theres definately no bugs on it.
::
:: Can anyone help?

They don't like tap water, only rainwater...see he
http://home.wanadoo.nl/aryenadahobbe...OR_INSIDE.htmL

Old 24-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Ford Prefect

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:24:30 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Lee Davison wrote:
[...]

Put it in a deep saucer stood in 1- 1.5" of rainwater (tap water is
slow death to all CPs) and stick it in the garden east facing if
possible, should grow like mad all mine do, most of them are out all
year.
Ford
Old 24-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Lee Davison

Thanks for the advice, I think ive given my poor plant a slow tap water
death. Is boiled water an acceptable alternative? I dont want to pick up
bugs with the rainwater which has happened in the past.

PS Does anyone own an allotment here? Can you recommend it What sort of
time do you have to put into the project? Any ideas of rental rates? Any
problems with vandalism? Questions questions, so much I want to know.......

:0)

Lee

Old 24-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Phil L

Lee Davison wrote:
:: Thanks for the advice, I think ive given my poor plant a slow tap
:: water death. Is boiled water an acceptable alternative? I dont
:: want to pick up bugs with the rainwater which has happened in the
:: past.
::
It's a marsh plant! - do you think it's wild relatives never get bugs in
their water?

Old 24-08-2004, 11:29 PM
David Hill

Lee asked.......
".....:: PS Does anyone own an allotment here? Can you recommend it What
sort of time do you have to put into the project? Any ideas of rental
rates? Any problems with vandalism? Questions questions, so much I want to
know......."

Best thing is to visit a local allotment over a weekend and talk to some of
the people there, otherwise find the address of your local Allotment Society
secretary.
There are so many variables that no one could give you the definitive
answer.

It's like asking how long, how thick, how strong and what colour is a piece
of string

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"Lee Davison" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice, I think ive given my poor plant a slow tap

water
death. Is boiled water an acceptable alternative? I dont want to

pick up
bugs with the rainwater which has happened in the past.

Even if you had watered with distilled water, it would be teeming with
bugs the moment the water has soaked into the compost.

[snip]

Franz

Old 26-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Ford Prefect

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:43:12 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Lee Davison lee.j.davi
writes
[...]

If you're watering it every two days, then it isn't damp enough. This is
a bog plant. Stand the pot in another dish which you keep water 1 inch
deep.

And use rain water unless your tap water is very soft.

Surely soft tap water still isn't good for CP's the waters got to be
on the acid side (I'm not a chemist just a grower), I've heard of
people growing in distilled water but the plants are nowhere near as
healthy as ones grown in rain water, checkout
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html it's the International Carnivorous
Plant Society FAQ page loads of useful info.
Ford.

Old 26-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Kay

In article , Ford Prefect
writes
wrote:

And use rain water unless your tap water is very soft.

Surely soft tap water still isn't good for CP's the waters got to be
on the acid side (I'm not a chemist just a grower),

If it's soft it doesn't have much in the way of calcium compounds and is
not highly alkaline. It's more that they need it non-alkaline rather
than they need it acidic, though they can cope with acidic.

I've heard of
people growing in distilled water but the plants are nowhere near as
healthy as ones grown in rain water,

But that could be for lots of other reasons apart from pH. Distilled
water doesn't have anything in apart from water.

I use rainwater because it's free, and tap water when I run out of
rainwater.

--
Kay

Old 28-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Ford Prefect

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:17:38 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Ford Prefect
writes
wrote:

And use rain water unless your tap water is very soft.

Surely soft tap water still isn't good for CP's the waters got to be
on the acid side (I'm not a chemist just a grower),

If it's soft it doesn't have much in the way of calcium compounds and is
not highly alkaline. It's more that they need it non-alkaline rather
than they need it acidic, though they can cope with acidic.

I've heard of
people growing in distilled water but the plants are nowhere near as
healthy as ones grown in rain water,

But that could be for lots of other reasons apart from pH. Distilled
water doesn't have anything in apart from water.

I use rainwater because it's free, and tap water when I run out of
rainwater.

Just out of interest what do you grow?
Ford
Old 28-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Kay

In article , Ford Prefect
writes
wrote:

I use rainwater because it's free, and tap water when I run out of
rainwater.

Just out of interest what do you grow?

In terms of insectivores? Nothing seriously. Venus fly trap, Drosera,
Pinguicula.

--
Kay

Liberal Canuck MP Seeks Health Care In US C P Ponds 0 21-09-2007 11:46 AM
New Scouser seeks advice on 'Potting shed' Sadie United Kingdom 29 14-11-2004 10:34 AM
New, worried owner seeks advice and help The Puppy Wizard Gardening 2 09-11-2003 10:42 PM
new plant guy Adam Webster Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Beginner seeks advice on orchid plants, books, fertilizing, growing Tessmann Orchids 0 19-02-2003 04:39 AM