Old 24-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Geoffreykensharp

Default greengages?

There are a couple of trees on our land which occasionally bear fruit. I've
never bothered with them before, but as they're loaded this year I tried some
and they were very tasty. They are small (smaller than a walnut - around 2.5 cm
across) and green with the riper ones aquiring a slight yellow tinge.
I think they must be greengages, although my wife will not eat them as she says
they are too small and might be some kind of non edible variety.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely as she is giving me doubts?
They just taste like a very nice plum to me.
Thank you.

Old 24-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Geoffreykensharp wrote:
There are a couple of trees on our land which occasionally bear fruit. I've
never bothered with them before, but as they're loaded this year I tried some
and they were very tasty. They are small (smaller than a walnut - around 2.5 cm
across) and green with the riper ones aquiring a slight yellow tinge.
I think they must be greengages, although my wife will not eat them as she says
they are too small and might be some kind of non edible variety.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely as she is giving me doubts?
They just taste like a very nice plum to me.

If the trees and leaves also look like plums, and they have 'cherry'
blossom in spring, and the stones are plum-like, I would classify
them as greengages and have no hesitation in gorging myself. They
also freeze well and make good jam.

There are a few exotics that match the description, but they are all
most unusual (and greengages aren't) and as far as I know are all
edible anyway.

If you are near Cambridge, may I come and scrounge some? And perhaps
some cuttings? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
[ Slightly expanded version ]

Geoffreykensharp wrote:
There are a couple of trees on our land which occasionally bear fruit. I've
never bothered with them before, but as they're loaded this year I tried some
and they were very tasty. They are small (smaller than a walnut - around 2.5 cm
across) and green with the riper ones aquiring a slight yellow tinge.
I think they must be greengages, although my wife will not eat them as she says
they are too small and might be some kind of non edible variety.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely as she is giving me doubts?
They just taste like a very nice plum to me.

If the trees and leaves also look like plums, and they have 'cherry'
blossom in spring, and the stones are plum-like, I would classify
them as greengages and have no hesitation in gorging myself. They
also freeze well and make good jam.

There are a few exotics that match the description of the fruit,
but they are all most unusual (and greengages aren't) and as far as I
are all edible anyway. It is VERY unlikely that they would taste
as good, too - they are wild plums from north America, Japan etc.

I can't think of a plum-like fruit that grows on a plum-like tree
(with appropriate flowers and leaves) in the UK that isn't some
sort of a plum. You have described a Cambridge Gage to a T.

Old 24-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Kay

In article ,
Geoffreykensharp writes
There are a couple of trees on our land which occasionally bear fruit. I've
never bothered with them before, but as they're loaded this year I tried some
and they were very tasty. They are small (smaller than a walnut - around 2.5 cm
across) and green with the riper ones aquiring a slight yellow tinge.
I think they must be greengages, although my wife will not eat them as she says
they are too small and might be some kind of non edible variety.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely as she is giving me doubts?
They just taste like a very nice plum to me.

That certainly sounds like greengages.

--
Kay

Old 25-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Tumbleweed

"Geoffreykensharp" wrote in message
There are a couple of trees on our land which occasionally bear fruit.

I've
never bothered with them before, but as they're loaded this year I tried

some
and they were very tasty. They are small (smaller than a walnut - around

2.5 cm
across) and green with the riper ones aquiring a slight yellow tinge.
I think they must be greengages, although my wife will not eat them as she

says
they are too small and might be some kind of non edible variety.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely as she is giving me doubts?
They just taste like a very nice plum to me.
Thank you.

Your wife is correct greengages are rather horrible, if you pick them all, I
will be round shortly to take them away and relieve her and you of the
terrible task of having to eat them.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Doug.

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

[...]

******
I have a few plums and one greengage (on Pixie rootstock), called
Dennistoun's Superb. It doesn't perform too well, it's only eight years
old but it is my prize fruit because each fruit is light green, is as
big as a plum and absolutely succulent, sweet and delicious. Only
twelve on it this year, it must be resting.
Tsk and damn!.
Doug.
******

Greengages Pete C[_2_] United Kingdom 4 05-08-2013 09:32 AM
greengages? Geoffreykensharp United Kingdom 5 25-08-2004 09:44 PM
Greengages paul bonner United Kingdom 4 30-07-2004 12:20 PM
Greengages paul bonner United Kingdom 0 28-07-2004 06:48 PM