Old 25-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Steve Dufour

Default Real tomatoes are back

The return of the dishy tomato

By Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Remember when a tomato was really a tomato? Big, squishy, juicy, seedy
and tasting like a tomato?
Old-timers do, and yearn to find one.
The tomato, in fact, was once upon a time almost erotically
luscious, called "the love apple," and even considered a bit naughty.
(The French, ever on the scout, considered it an aphrodisiac.) Young
people, who have grown up munching the hard, waxy and bland tomatoes
found in today's supermarkets, don't know what they missed.

Agricultural officials in New Jersey are trying now to help both
groups find and enjoy the tasty farm-fresh tomatoes of old.
The Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service at Rutgers University
has started a program to increase production of "heirloom" tomatoes,
so called because they were treasures of the heritage of the farm.
Rutgers is encouraging farmers to grow the older varieties favored
for taste, not appearance, along with heartier commercial fruits. As a
result, better-tasting tomatoes are being found at roadside stands and
tailgate produce sales on the back roads of the Garden State.
"The public really wants great-tasting tomatoes back ... and we're
going to get them," says Jack Rabin, assistant director of the New
Jersey Agriculture Experiment, the agricultural research branch of
Rutgers University.
"We're trying to restore tomatoes to the way they were more than a
half-century ago, and bring joy to those who eat them," Mr. Rabin
says.
He insists, with a diplomat's skill, that he's not condemning all
of the so-called "vine-ripened" tomatoes on the market today, which
are grown in Mexico, California and Florida, and bred to have a longer
shelf life.
"You can break the windshield of a truck with a vine-ripened
tomato," he jokes.
The big problem, Mr. Rabin says, is that breeders have emphasized
long shelf life and long growing seasons, firmness, durability and
crop yield. "But we forgot to have people eat them," he says.
As part of the project to restore the heirlooms, state agriculture
agents and farmers are testing different varieties that have been
around at least 50 years.
They have colorful names such as Red Brandywine, Eva Purple Ball,
and Mortgage Lifter. Unlike the hybrid red, round tomatoes that are
the mainstays at most supermarkets, heirlooms are softer because they
have thinner, more fragile skins. They come in different colors and
shapes and are not necessarily pleasing to the eye. They may only last
three or four days.
"They split open and crack," Gary Donaldson, a farmer in Mansfield
Township, N.J., who has grown about 30 varieties of heirloom tomatoes,
tells the Associated Press. "They have big scars on them. They look
ugly, but they taste good."
Mr. Donaldson says customers don't grumble about the looks of the
tomatoes or their $2.99-a-pound price tag, which is about twice what
he charges for tomatoes that are little more than synthetics compared
to the older varieties.
Mr. Rabin says his office has been sponsoring tomato-tasting
booths in conjunction with wine-tasting events at different locations,
and they have been a hit. "There were 600 people crowded around our
tomato-tasting booth at one recent show."
Old 25-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
k:

I don't know what's happened to the company but Totally Tomatoes had
many heritage tomatoes in their catalogue - from America, Russia,
Poland, England. I tried to find their catalogue this year (they had
an address in Newton Abbot) but they seem to have disappeared from
sight altogether.

I think I read that they were bought out by Thomson and Morgan.
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/list/tomatoes seems to have a fairly
long list, including a number of heritage varieties.

There is a US company called 'totally tomatoes' that is still trading.

Personally, I feel that a move towards tomatoes that taste less and less
tomatoey is a blow for sanity and tastebuds, but I am aware this is a
minority viewpoint ;-)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 25-08-2004, 05:32 PM
jane

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:36:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

~On 25/8/04 11:48 am, in article
, "Steve Dufour"
wrote:
~
~snip
~ They have colorful names such as Red Brandywine, Eva Purple Ball,
~ and Mortgage Lifter. Unlike the hybrid red, round tomatoes that are
~ the mainstays at most supermarkets, heirlooms are softer because they
~ have thinner, more fragile skins. They come in different colors and
~ shapes and are not necessarily pleasing to the eye. They may only last
~ three or four days.
~snip
~
~I don't know what's happened to the company but Totally Tomatoes had many
~heritage tomatoes in their catalogue - from America, Russia, Poland,
~England. I tried to find their catalogue this year (they had an address in
~Newton Abbot) but they seem to have disappeared from sight altogether.
~--

Nice to see the Americans are finally rebelling against tasteless
tomatoes! Least we've a few years' head start there, perhaps their
folk should have a quiet word with the HDRA... or Thomas Etty.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 26-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Doug.

"Steve Dufour" wrote in message
om...
[...]

******
Paleeaase!. Keep us informed. Thank goodness someone is doing something
about the trash tomatoes we are now growing and eating.
Doug.
******

Old 27-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes

They sent me an email saying they have a large variety of Tomato seeds, some
of which are those mentioned in TT's catalogue. I've asked for a catalogue
when it's available.

Totally Tomatoes are online at:
www.totallytomato.com/
Their [USA] catalogue can be downloaded from that site.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Sacha

On 27/8/04 6:29 pm, in article , "Alan
Gould" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

They sent me an email saying they have a large variety of Tomato seeds, some
of which are those mentioned in TT's catalogue. I've asked for a catalogue
when it's available.

Totally Tomatoes are online at:
www.totallytomato.com/
Their [USA] catalogue can be downloaded from that site.

But someone has posted that they won't send seeds to UK. They've always been
a USA Company online. The joy was we could get the goodies here!
Merde alors - and I'm not talking compost!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Maurice & Doreen Larcombe

I emailed them asking about seeds but did not get a reply - look like they
supply our supermarkets.

Regards
Maurice

Please remove one "r" from jandorr to reply by email

"Martin" wrote in message

There is one supermarket tom which comes close to home grown - even

smells
right. Elegance vine tomatoes. Sainsburys and Somerfields sell them. They
are Dutch and I have been trying to track down seed but no joy as yet

http://www.green-nature-group.nl/en-skyline%20sales.htm

Contact:

Skyline sales/VMP, Korte Kruisweg 66, 2676 BS Maasdijk, phone: 0031
(0)174-527130/ 0031 (0)174-527135.

Mobile: 0031 (0)6 53739322, e-mail:
--
Martin