Old 27-08-2004, 12:48 PM
DH

Default training a honeysuckle (ie 'which climber' part 2)

I bought a honesuckle a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pleased to say
that it's still alive!

However, I'm trying to train it to climb up a 6 inch diameter metal
pole.

I've attached about 7 vertical wires to the pole, and I was hoping it
would wrap around and hug the pole, and use the wires as 'back-up'
support, but it is keen to coil around the wires instead.

Am I fighting a losing battle by constantly uncoiling the stems from
the wires and tying them in around the pole?

Also, as the base of the honeysuckle is meant to be in shade, would it
be a good idea to plant something in the same pot (2ft wide) that
would create that shade, and if so which plant? Or would that
interfere with the honeysuckle properly establishing itself?

DH
Old 27-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"DH" writes:

| I've attached about 7 vertical wires to the pole, and I was hoping it
| would wrap around and hug the pole, and use the wires as 'back-up'
| support, but it is keen to coil around the wires instead.
|
| Am I fighting a losing battle by constantly uncoiling the stems from
| the wires and tying them in around the pole?

Not once it reaches the top - any new shoots will then wrap
themselves round the existing stems :-)

| Also, as the base of the honeysuckle is meant to be in shade, would it
| be a good idea to plant something in the same pot (2ft wide) that
| would create that shade, and if so which plant? Or would that
| interfere with the honeysuckle properly establishing itself?

Which honeysuckle is it? The requirement for roots in shade is
grossly overstated for both honeysuckle and clematis, though
there are some where it could make a difference.

Since it is in a pot, I would advise against it. Anything else
would compete for water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
training a climber [email protected] Roses 2 07-06-2007 03:24 PM
Advice required - Which climber? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 31-05-2006 08:36 PM
Which climber? DH United Kingdom 11 29-08-2004 03:17 PM
which climber? Tara United Kingdom 5 22-04-2004 12:06 PM