Old 27-08-2004, 04:00 PM
jane

Default root ginger

A few months ago I thought what the heck, and planted a sprouting
piece of ginger root in the conservatory. Since then I've had a bit of
a job with keeping red spider mite off it, have been treated to
several rather tall wispy stems of leaves, and it's just started to
grow yet more.

I wasn't expecting it to grow a huge flower bud, but it has!

Anyone else had this experience? I shall be taking photos when it
opens, for sure...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 28-08-2004, 12:25 AM
datsy

A few months ago I thought what the heck, and planted a sprouting
piece of ginger root in the conservatory. Since then I've had a bit of
a job with keeping red spider mite off it, have been treated to
several rather tall wispy stems of leaves, and it's just started to
grow yet more.

I wasn't expecting it to grow a huge flower bud, but it has!

Anyone else had this experience? I shall be taking photos when it
opens, for sure...

I did plant a couple of supermarket ginger roots. Both sprouted very
uninteresting looking shoots. I gave one to a friend who said his just
keeled over and died. Mine did the same a couple of months later - just
seemed to rot near soil level and the whole shoot fell over - so not a great
deal of success!

Old 28-08-2004, 02:55 AM
Dave Poole

"datsy" wrote:

A few months ago I thought what the heck, and planted a sprouting
piece of ginger root in the conservatory.

Snip
grow yet more. I wasn't expecting it to grow a huge flower bud, but it has!

I did plant a couple of supermarket ginger roots. Both sprouted very
uninteresting looking shoots. I gave one to a friend who said his just
keeled over and died. Mine did the same a couple of months later - just
seemed to rot near soil level and the whole shoot fell over - so not a great
deal of success!

There's merely a curiosity value attached to growing common root
ginger. Despite its many values from a herballistic and culinary
point of view, it must be one of the least attractive members of an
otherwise fascinating and often highly ornamental family of plants.

The most commonly sold form has thin, weak stems to less than 1m.
high, bearing narrow, grassy leaves of little or no merit. Flowers
are infrequently produced towards the end of the growing season and
are yellowish tinged dull purple. They appear between the rather
tightly packed bracts of a greenish, cone-like inflorescence which is
carried on a short stem.

Root ginger is best grown in large pots containing a well drained,
loam-based compost and watered only lightly until growing strongly.
Once a good amount of foliage has developed, watering can be increased
and the plant will benefit from occasional liquid feeds. Direct sun
will burn the foliage, but too much shade will cause the plants to
eventually keel over. Common root ginger is naturally deciduous and
will die down in autumn. It is at this time that the roots are dug up
and dried in the sun to ripen them and improve keeping qualities.
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 05-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Tim Tyler

jane wrote or quoted:

A few months ago I thought what the heck, and planted a sprouting
piece of ginger root in the conservatory. Since then I've had a bit of
a job with keeping red spider mite off it, have been treated to
several rather tall wispy stems of leaves, and it's just started to
grow yet more.

I wasn't expecting it to grow a huge flower bud, but it has!

Interesting ;-)

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

http://timtyler.freeshell.org/cr/pro...turmeric_1.jpg
http://timtyler.freeshell.org/cr/pro...s/galangal.jpg
http://timtyler.freeshell.org/cr/pro...ts/karachi.jpg
--
__________
Old 05-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Dave Poole

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

Can't tell you anything about karachi root, but judging by the
rhizomes (upside down in the pic) I suspect it may be a form of ginger
as are the other two.

Turmeric - Curcuma longa (syn. domestica) is a very handsome plant
with ornamental foliage and very attractive 12 - 18" high spikes of
long lasting bracts that are vivid pink fading to green, each
surrounding a rather ephemeral translucent white flower. Now is not
the time to start trying to grow it because it is naturally deciduous
in winter and needs a long warm growing season. Plant in pots of
multi-purpose compost during Feb/early March making sure that the
rhizomes are plump, healthy with obviously live buds. Barely cover
the rhizomes, water lightly and place in a very warm position (about
22-25C is fine). Water only when virtually dry and do not water
regularly until new leaves have started to expand. Once growing
strongly, keep the plants very moist and feed weekly with a balanced
fertiliser.

Galangal is applied to 2 very different members of the ginger family -
Kaempferia galanga & Alpinia officinarum (syn. A. galanga) , but the
rhizomes you have pictured are from the Alpinia. This is a relatively
easy plant to grow forming clumps of cane like stems to around 6 - 8
feet or more, clad in fine foliage and terminated by rather handsome
spikes of fragrant white flowers. It needs warmth, but is possible as
an imposing pot plant. This one you can pot up now. Place healthy
rhizomes in a large pot of multi-purpose compost and water lightly
until growing strongly. feed every 6 weeks in winter and every week
in summer. Keep in good light and maintain temperatures above 16C.
Alpinias do not have a true resting season and continue growing as
long as reasonable temperatures are maintained.

Both of the above plants are susceptible to red spider if kept in a
very dry atmosphere and appreciate good humidity if they are to grow
well. A light misting of the foliage daily will keep them happy.
They can be stood out of doors during the warmer summer months -
Curcuma preferring light shade whereas Alpinia will be happiest in
full sun.

HTH

Old 06-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Tim Tyler

Dave Poole wrote or quoted:
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

Can't tell you anything about karachi root, but judging by the
rhizomes (upside down in the pic) I suspect it may be a form of
ginger as are the other two.

My spelling might have helped:

Boesenbergia pandurata - krachai/finger root

I can confirm it a member of Zingiberaceae (the ginger family).

Thanks for the comprehensive post ;-)

I'll have a go with some of these. The freshest turmeric I can
get hold of comes from a fridge - I hope it's still viable.
--
__________
Old 06-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

I find the powder just turns in to a paste and never sprouts. ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old 21-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Tim Tyler

Tim Challenger wrote or quoted:
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

I find the powder just turns in to a paste and never sprouts. ;-)

The powder is a pale shadow of the real thing.

If you have a local chinese market, check it out.
--
__________
Old 29-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Tim Tyler

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
shown any signs of life. I will persist...
--
__________
Old 30-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from
roots in
the UK?

So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
shown any signs of life. I will persist...

I can't remember what it was, but i have a rhizomey-thing with pointy
fingers which grow downwards from it.

I planted it this spring, and it has only just begun sprouting a rather
ginger-ish appearing leaf, so, don't despair...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 30-09-2004, 03:09 PM
griz

Tim Tyler wrote:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
shown any signs of life. I will persist...
--

I planted a piece of ginger in my allotment back in July - nothing at all
sprouted.

I tried years ago to grow it in a pot also without much luck - didn't rot,
but didn't grow either. What am I doing wrong? Do you put a whole piece
with a few buds? How deep? Should it be done in spring?

Griz
Old 30-09-2004, 07:46 PM
JennyC

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
shown any signs of life. I will persist...
--

I picked up a tuber type thing from a tropical food stall in the market down
near London Bridge this spring.

It's grown - buts it's totally boring, about 2ft high, green 'floppy' leaves all
the way up the stem. It shows no sign of flowering or doing anything else
interesting !

I've no idea what it is.......:~))

Jenny

Old 30-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Tim Tyler

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote or quoted:
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
shown any signs of life. I will persist...

I can't remember what it was, but i have a rhizomey-thing with pointy
fingers which grow downwards from it.

Did it perhaps look like an upside down version of this?

Old 01-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler wrote or quoted:
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
the UK?

So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
shown any signs of life. I will persist...

Hah! First signs of life from the Turmeric too!

I just hope I don't find these plants as disappointing as people say ;-)
--
__________
Old 01-10-2004, 02:51 PM
jane

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:09:07 +0100, griz wrote:

~Tim Tyler wrote:
~
~ On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:
~
~ Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
~ the UK?
~
~ So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
~ shown any signs of life. I will persist...
~ --
~
~I planted a piece of ginger in my allotment back in July - nothing at all
~sprouted.
~Last weekend I decided to dig it up - there was only the outer skin left
~and nothing at all inside.
~
~I tried years ago to grow it in a pot also without much luck - didn't rot,
~but didn't grow either. What am I doing wrong? Do you put a whole piece
~with a few buds? How deep? Should it be done in spring?
~
I mentioned on urg a few weeks ago that I'd had quite some success
with my experimental ginger. I planted a 4" length root from the local
supermarket with a couple of shoots on it. I now have loads of shoots
and some 5 flower cones too! I am waiting for it to die back naturally
before I dig it up and see how big my root is now. Hopefully 3-4 x as
big as it was. I only used a 7" pot so it might not be as big as it
could have been...

I grew it in a humid and hot conservatory, and it got hammered by red
spider mite. But it survived.

--
jane

Mark Twain