GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Boggy lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82522-boggy-lawn.html)

Ian Waddell 28-08-2004 08:09 AM

Boggy lawn

Whilst I'm doing the log roll I also hope to sort out the drainage problems
on part of the lawn. Part of this will be to put some topsoil down under
the turf to level it, but I also plan to help drainage by laying 2 strips of
gravel beneath the turf in the worst areas. Will this help - or would
another solution work better.

TIA

Ian

Robert E A Harvey 28-08-2004 02:45 PM

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message ...
Whilst I'm doing the log roll I also hope to sort out the drainage problems
on part of the lawn. Part of this will be to put some topsoil down under
the turf to level it, but I also plan to help drainage by laying 2 strips of
gravel beneath the turf in the worst areas. Will this help - or would
another solution work better.

Mix some sand with the gravel, it helps a lot. keeps the
instersticies (sp?) open. I've used gravel drains to good effect.
I'd be tempted to use sand to raise the level too, rather than
topsoil.

Almost anything works - more elaborate schemes (porous pipes,
earthenware pipes, sumps, pumps etc) work better - you can complicate
the issue till the cows come home. The important thing is that
drainage needs somewhere to drain /to/.