Old 30-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Sacha

On 30/8/04 7:26 am, in article ,
"Brian Watson" wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gjakt7.1idz4f1z4bayoN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

snip
Now in a greenhouse of course you 'could' allow a vine to 'grow' from
inside and then train 'out' in the summer (as is done with some grape
vines I believe. Thus the greenhouse would protect the parent plant in
winter.

All good food for thought.

That "feet in a greenhouse" idea is pretty much what I had in mind from the
previous advice given here.

The old fashioned way of growing vines used to be the other way about. The
roots were outside and the vine growth inside, so that the extra heat and
sun benefits ripened the fruit. I know that's how many grew vines in the
Channel Islands and south west of England but I don't know if it was
suitable for other parts of this country.
We grow Passiflorae antioquensis, exoniensis, mollissima, caponii,
quadrangularis in glasshouses and fruiting is rare and sparse when it does
occur.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
JP

Brian Watson wrote:
My mother has grown a passion flower (not sure of species) which has
produced orange plum-sized fruits with red "jelly"-coated seeds inside.

Are they edible?

I know the usual passion fruit, as sold in greengrocers, is a sort of
wrinkled brown-skinned thing with yellowy "jelly" coating on the seeds so am
not sure whether I ought to be taking a chance with Mother's.

Chances are these are Caerulea fruits and as such they are edible but
don't taste very nice!

They won't harm you anyway!

Jason

Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 PM
JP

Jim W wrote:
Brian Watson wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Brian Watson wrote:

My mother has grown a passion flower (not sure of species) which has
produced orange plum-sized fruits with red "jelly"-coated seeds inside.

Are they edible?

I know the usual passion fruit, as sold in greengrocers, is a sort of
wrinkled brown-skinned thing with yellowy "jelly" coating on the seeds so

am

not sure whether I ought to be taking a chance with Mother's.

If it grows outside anywhere outside Torquay, the Scilly Isles etc.,
it will be P. caerulea. The fruits are edible but insipid.

Thanks. What is the one grown for producing real passion fruit then, please?

I fancy giving it a go (already getting reasonable results from sown shop
varieties of Physalis and Kiwi).

If Cambridgeshire gets as good a summer as we've had this year and I can
shield it so it's not blown away, I think I might get lucky with a few
edible fruits.

P.edulis or P.quadrangularis (there are a couple of others I don't
remember offhand.) However these aren't likely to do welloutside (its
usually the wet in winter that kills em as well as the cold)

http://www.passiflora-uk.co.uk/collection.shtml

if you can get hold of a copy of Passionflowers by John Vanderplank (my
local library has a copy, you might get lucky)

Common Blue is supposed to be quite nice mixed with apple in pie and the
leaves make a anxiolytic tea (studies showed efffects similar to
Tamezepam but with less side effects!) (don't try this at home kids)

MYLES IRVINE's site at:
http://www.passionflow.co.uk/ has LOADS of info on growing and mentions
a few fellow URG members

Jim

I have some edulis seeds for sale on ebay!

The germination rate is quite good and my pot grown ones are doing well
outside at the moment but will have to be brought in fairly soon!

Jason

--
********
Check out my ebay auctions for Passionflower seeds.

http://mmame063.topcities.com/abi.html