Old 28-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Sacha

Default Purple berries ID

We have a plant in the garden that neither Ray nor I can remember the name
of. The leaves are sword shaped and dark green; it grows to 12"-18" and
appears to seed easily. The berries are a true, shiny purple and are on the
plant now. Can anyone jog our memories?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 29/8/04 11:01, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 28/8/04 18:44, in article
,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We have a plant in the garden that neither Ray nor I can remember the

name
of. snip Dianella?

Janet

You're a genius! Ray had got to the 'Di' bit and that was it. Thank

you,
Janet! Now all we have to do is remember where we got them from - one

of
our forays or a present from someone....... ;-)
--

Ah but which one?! :~)

Which Dianella or which friend? In the case of the latter, was it you?!

In
the case of the former, D. caerulea. D. tasmanica is much taller by the
sound of things. What's curious is that a Google image search shows the
berries in two completely different forms of growth for D. caerulea and I
can only imagine that is to do with climate differences. Ours grows

berries
like the one on the Zurich botanical page and not at all like the one from

Brisbane page.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

It didn't come from me! I had been given a couple of species by Roger van
Loon who used to be around on URG. I now have 3, D. caerulea D. tasmanica
and anotherone whose name I can not remember but it flowers out of tall
leafy stems and its growth habit is quite different to the other two. so far
they have flowered but been reluctant to berry, I live in hope as it makes
great ground cover in some of the gardens I know, the plants seem
indestructible.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 31-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Sacha

On 30/8/04 9:44 am, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
[...]

I'm assuming ours I D. caerulea, then! Those are the only two in the RHS
bible but when you're next this way you can have a look, if you will and
tell us what you think. I had assumed that our had seeded themselves but
trying to dig one up Ray finds they're on runners, by the look of it. Ours
are in the bed beside the narrow path up to the tea room, so don't get a lot
of sun. I don't know if that makes a difference. The berries are the most
fantastic colour - so much so that I only makes me wonder why more people
don't grow it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Mystery Tree with Purple Berries BorderCollie Gardening 6 29-06-2012 12:21 AM
Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous? Earth Mother United Kingdom 4 09-04-2009 10:40 AM
[IBC] Cotoneaster - remove old berries? Jim Lewis Bonsai 11 06-09-2005 12:55 PM
holly berries hayley United Kingdom 9 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
Cotoneaster - remove old berries? MainAt Bonsai 0 20-03-2003 05:44 AM