GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing fruit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82595-storing-fruit.html)

Bilbo Baggins 29-08-2004 07:08 PM

Storing fruit

This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find anything on the
faq page.

We have just harvested apples, pears and plums from our allotment. Can
anybody recommend the best way of storing them. I have looked at various
sites and read differing opinions. Some say wrap apples and pears and put
in a cool place, some say put in plastic bags with holes punched (the bag -
not the fruit), some say only store in a refrigerator (not that we have room
anyway). Some sites say not to wrap pears. One site recommended wiping
fruit with a solution of household bleach!

I would appreciate any advice.

KW

GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY 29-08-2004 08:37 PM

"Bilbo Baggins" wrote in message
This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find anything on the
faq page.

We have just harvested apples, pears and plums from our allotment. Can
anybody recommend the best way of storing them. I have looked at various
sites and read differing opinions. Some say wrap apples and pears and put
in a cool place, some say put in plastic bags with holes punched (the

bag -
not the fruit), some say only store in a refrigerator (not that we have

room
anyway). Some sites say not to wrap pears. One site recommended wiping
fruit with a solution of household bleach!

I would appreciate any advice.

You could make 'dumpsie dearie jam'. Made from apples, pears and plums. I
can give you a recipe if you want it.

Alan Gould 29-08-2004 08:56 PM

In article , Bilbo Baggins
writes
This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find anything on the
faq page.

We have just harvested apples, pears and plums from our allotment. Can
anybody recommend the best way of storing them. I have looked at various
sites and read differing opinions. Some say wrap apples and pears and put
in a cool place, some say put in plastic bags with holes punched (the bag -
not the fruit), some say only store in a refrigerator (not that we have room
anyway). Some sites say not to wrap pears. One site recommended wiping
fruit with a solution of household bleach!

I would appreciate any advice.

We deep freeze all those fruits very successfully.
Further details if req'd.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Bilbo Baggins 30-08-2004 10:13 AM

Thanks guys. We have recently made a load of jam but freezing seems like a
good idea.

How do frozen apples and pears turn out? - I assume you can only use them
for cooking afterwards and not eating.

KW

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Bilbo Baggins
writes

Ad Meijer 30-08-2004 03:35 PM

I tried to sent a humble advise to this dear Hobbit.
But the mail addres at Bags-End is wrong.
Storing applen and pears as well af plums is quite a trick.
Apples being the driest are the easy thing. cool, and dry. and ! layer .
when 1 rots, take it out.
pears and plums can harly be stored outside the refrigerator.
Plums can be frozen, but are only for use in cooking then, as they wont hold
moisture.
Apples and pears can be canned, or dried. plums can be dries as well
Dried they will last just as long as Lembas.

Alan Gould 30-08-2004 07:51 PM

In article , Bilbo Baggins
writes

How do frozen apples and pears turn out? - I assume you can only use them
for cooking afterwards and not eating.

Yes, practically all fruit loses some texture by being frozen, but it
doesn't need to lose flavour and it can be every bit as good for
catering purposes as fresh fruit - in some cases even better because
freezing tenderises their flesh. We use defrosted soft fruit in fruit
cocktails and fruit salads just as they are with a little juice.

I have just checked with Joan and here is how she does it:

Apples: Select best quality ripe, but not over-ripe or damaged apples.
Have a bowl of water by with a little salt or lemon juice in it.
Core each apple, then drop them into the water while you are doing the
batch. That prevents the flesh from going brown (oxydising). Drain the
apples, pack them into freezer bags, then put them into the freezer.

Pears: Again use only best fruit, and have water by while you deal with
them. Peel the pears, cut them in halves or quarters depending on size.
Scoop out the central seedy part, then proceed as for apples above.

Plums: Similar procedure, but the stones need to be removed before
freezing.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

J Jackson 03-09-2004 09:34 PM

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

: This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find anything on the
: faq page.

: We have just harvested apples, pears and plums from our allotment. Can
: anybody recommend the best way of storing them. I have looked at various
: sites and read differing opinions. Some say wrap apples and pears and put
: in a cool place, some say put in plastic bags with holes punched (the bag -
: not the fruit), some say only store in a refrigerator (not that we have room
: anyway). Some sites say not to wrap pears. One site recommended wiping
: fruit with a solution of household bleach!

: I would appreciate any advice.

Very very few apples are ready for picking now. What variety(s) do you
have? I find it pretty pointless picking apples early. Even my pears are
not ready for picking yet - but one (unknown) variety is getting close.

Jim