Old 29-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Robert

Default Yellow Sorrel ?

My garden is full of what looks to me like Yellow Sorrel (Oxalis
corniculata) - by looking in books and the Internet. e.g.
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...orniculata.htm

But all descriptions I have read say this plant has creeping roots (like
creeping buttercup) whereas mine all have a long, thin tap-root. The stems
spread quite far and flat against the ground. I don't know about the
flowers as I never let them grow that far.

Can anyone clarify this and give me a name?

Robert

Old 30-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Kay

In article , Robert
writes
My garden is full of what looks to me like Yellow Sorrel (Oxalis
corniculata) - by looking in books and the Internet. e.g.
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...orniculata.htm

But all descriptions I have read say this plant has creeping roots (like
creeping buttercup) whereas mine all have a long, thin tap-root. The stems
spread quite far and flat against the ground. I don't know about the
flowers as I never let them grow that far.

Creeping buttercup doesn't have creeping roots. It spreads by runners
(stems) which root at intervals, in the same way as strawberries do.
Oxalis is the same.

--
Kay

Old 30-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Robert

Thank Kay, that was a terminology mistake!
But "my" oxalis do not have runners, just these deep single roots (by
comparison strawberries are definitely un-deep).
Any ideas what it might be?
Rob

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes

Old 30-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Kay

In article , Robert
writes
Thank Kay, that was a terminology mistake!
But "my" oxalis do not have runners, just these deep single roots (by
comparison strawberries are definitely un-deep).
Any ideas what it might be?

I think there are some oxalis that don't run. But really you'll need to
wait for flowers to get a firm identification, unless you can post a
picture of yours to a website somewhere and post the url here.

How long have you had it? If only a year, then it may not yet have got
into the spreading phase, and it does have quite deep tap roots - about
3 to 4 inches on a plant not much more than two inches high (unlike, as
you say, strawberries, which have a cluster of outward spreading roots).
I think they do spread along the ground for quite a time before actually
rooting, ie it might be a year, whereas strawberries root the same
season.

btw, the convention on this group is to bottom post. Top posting when
most people bottom post messes up the order of the posts.

Rob

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes
My garden is full of what looks to me like Yellow Sorrel (Oxalis
corniculata) - by looking in books and the Internet. e.g.
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...orniculata.htm

But all descriptions I have read say this plant has creeping roots (like
creeping buttercup) whereas mine all have a long, thin tap-root. The

stems
spread quite far and flat against the ground. I don't know about the
flowers as I never let them grow that far.

Creeping buttercup doesn't have creeping roots. It spreads by runners
(stems) which root at intervals, in the same way as strawberries do.
Oxalis is the same.

--
Kay

Kay

Wood sorrel (sour grass) Oxalis Cheryl Isaak Gardening 4 13-06-2005 08:45 PM
Savory? Sorrel? Doll is Mine Edible Gardening 6 18-03-2005 11:54 PM
sorrel seedlings collapsing Deborah P. United Kingdom 7 31-05-2004 07:19 PM
Sorrel Steve Harris United Kingdom 23 24-01-2004 07:03 AM
Need information on herbicide for Oxalis (yellow creeping wood sorrel) and potatoes sahara sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM