Old 30-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Brian Watson

Default Poor coverage of wood treatment

I spent a good part of Sat and Sun painting a fairly old fence with Homebase
Forest Green wood treatment (using brush not roller).

The coverage is, IMO, very poor.

I think did all the right things in terms of stirring it well before use and
brushing off loose surface dust and cobwebs etc, but it was pretty much like
JUST applying water.

Whatever was on the wood before (some panels had previously been treated and
some hadn't) still shows through the green.

I suppose I'm now committed to giving it at least one more coat of the same,
but is there a better product for this purpose?

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing to say

Old 30-08-2004, 01:33 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I spent a good part of Sat and Sun painting a fairly old fence with

Homebase
Forest Green wood treatment (using brush not roller).

The coverage is, IMO, very poor.

I think did all the right things in terms of stirring it well before use

and
brushing off loose surface dust and cobwebs etc, but it was pretty much

like
JUST applying water.

Whatever was on the wood before (some panels had previously been treated

and
some hadn't) still shows through the green.

I suppose I'm now committed to giving it at least one more coat of the

same,
but is there a better product for this purpose?

Was the fence completely dry? The recent wet weather will have soaked it
and any damp patches will not 'take'.

Old 30-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Brian Watson

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

I suppose I'm now committed to giving it at least one more coat of the

same,
but is there a better product for this purpose?

Was the fence completely dry? The recent wet weather will have soaked it
and any damp patches will not 'take'.

Dry as a bone - in fact the way the stuff soaked in I thought the wood might
be *too* dry.

It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not fair -
it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.
--
Brian

Old 30-08-2004, 06:14 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in

message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

I suppose I'm now committed to giving it at least one more coat of the

same,
but is there a better product for this purpose?

Was the fence completely dry? The recent wet weather will have soaked

it
and any damp patches will not 'take'.

Dry as a bone - in fact the way the stuff soaked in I thought the wood

might
be *too* dry.

It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not

fair -
it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.

Perhaps you simply need to give it another coat then?

Old 30-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in

message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

I suppose I'm now committed to giving it at least one more coat

of the
same,
but is there a better product for this purpose?

Was the fence completely dry? The recent wet weather will have

soaked it
and any damp patches will not 'take'.

Dry as a bone - in fact the way the stuff soaked in I thought the

wood might
be *too* dry.

It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not

fair -
it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.

That's the general idea. After all, you did not apply a paint, but a
wood preservative.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Brian Watson

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not

fair -
it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.

Perhaps you simply need to give it another coat then?

Er yes, I'll do that.

:-)

Made a nonsense of my calculations of what I needed, though, and how much
the job would cost and how long it would take.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing to say

Old 31-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not
| fair -
| it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.
|
| That's the general idea. After all, you did not apply a paint, but a
| wood preservative.

Did he? He applied what was sold as a wood preservative, but I
know of no evidence that it is one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-08-2004, 01:16 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in

message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not

fair -
it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.

Perhaps you simply need to give it another coat then?

Er yes, I'll do that.

:-)

And it will be the envy of your neighbours when you have done so I have no
doubt at all :0)

Old 31-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Robert E A Harvey

"Brian Watson" wrote
Dry as a bone - in fact the way the stuff soaked in I thought the wood might
be *too* dry.

It soaked the stuff up allright, but left b*****-all (no, that's not fair -
it left insufficient, by a long way) pigment on the surface.

I'm not a fan of pigmented treatments normally, but I used some
Cuprinol Fence and Shed preservative - http://tinyurl.co.uk/qqe3 - and
applied it with a sprayer. It's slightly pigmented with a sort of
waxy solid that occasionally needs clearing from the sprayer, but I am
very satisfied with the results. The colour is even and has not faded
in all that July sun, and it is a true preservative, not a silly paint
like the "£5 for 3 gallon" rubbish you can buy at the co-op.

Old 31-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

That's the general idea. After all, you did not apply a paint,

but a
wood preservative.

Did he? He applied what was sold as a wood preservative, but I
know of no evidence that it is one.

That may well be true.

Franz