Old 30-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Cat

Default New lawn

We have sown a new lawn in the garden of our recently acquired house
approximately 8 weeks ago. Despite a dry spell for the first week or two,
it has greened beautifully, and the sward is now nice and lush mostly
everywhere, about 10 to 12 cm in height. There are a few slightly bare
patches, in which we have been advised to sow some extra seed - this was
done yesterday, after extensive weed pulling.
It seems to me that the lawn now needs its first mowing. I have also heard
that mowing the lawn helps it establish, and chokes up weeds.
Can anyone tell us whether it is indeed time to mow it, and are there any
tips for the first time mow(s) ? Will mowing do anything undesirable to the
newly seeded bareish patches?
Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 30-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Emrys Davies

It is time to mow your new lawn. Hopefully you can do it when the ground
is fairy dry so that you do not compact the soil, unduly. Raise the
mower blade so that the first cut takes off about an inch of the growth.
Then reduce the blade progressively for the subsequent cuts.

The barish patches will not suffer from your activities, but try not to
tread on those areas until they have caught up with the rest of the
lawn.

PS: If it is a small lawn the first cut could beneficially be with a
garden shears.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Cat

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
It is time to mow your new lawn. Hopefully you can do it when the ground
is fairy dry so that you do not compact the soil, unduly. Raise the
mower blade so that the first cut takes off about an inch of the growth.
Then reduce the blade progressively for the subsequent cuts.

The barish patches will not suffer from your activities, but try not to
tread on those areas until they have caught up with the rest of the
lawn.

PS: If it is a small lawn the first cut could beneficially be with a
garden shears.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thank you very much for this.
You will forgive me if I don't fancy mowing 1/4 acre with nail clippers ;-)
Just one clarification - I assume you are telling me to mow only 1 inch off
the top the first time around, then leave it for a week or so for the next
one? Or do you mean I should mow several times in the same session, working
my way down the mower's settings ?

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 30-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Emrys Davies

Your first assumption is correct i.e. "I assume you are telling me to
mow only 1 inch off
the top the first time around, then leave it for a week or so for the
next one?"

Hopefully your blades are sharp.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-08-2004, 02:31 PM
atwifa

with respect to Emrys, the inch-off idea may not be a good one (he doesn't
know how tall the grass is, as you didn't say). the general rule is to
never take off more than a third of the growth.

and rather than progressively lowering the cut height, it should - if
anything - be raised over the season.

it is a good idea to return the clippings to the sward on the first few and
the last cuts. if you just top off the height, then the clippings will
quickly disappear. they provide both mulch (of a kind) and moisture.

it is never to soon to start spiking your lawn. a roller type spiker is
cheap, and a quarter of an acre will not take too long. the benefits are
well worth the effort. in autumn, add a spadeful of sharp sand to every
four or five square metres, after spiking. great for drainage, which is
vital to a healthy lawn.

don't mow more than once a day (!) - with all the rain we have been blessed
with this year, the ground will compact easily. this will lead to clumping
of the grass plants; and encourage moss to get established.

Old 30-08-2004, 02:33 PM
atwifa

with respect to Emrys, the inch-off idea may not be a good one (he doesn't
know how tall the grass is, as you didn't say).

my apologies: you did say

Old 30-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Cat

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Your first assumption is correct i.e. "I assume you are telling me to
mow only 1 inch off
the top the first time around, then leave it for a week or so for the
next one?"

Hopefully your blades are sharp.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

This is a new house, a new garden, a new lawn, and therefore a new
lawnmower - not acquired yet, but soon to be.. :-) So, yes, hopefully it
will have sharp (new) blades.
Many thanks for your expert advice!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 30-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Cat

"atwifa" wrote in message
with respect to Emrys, the inch-off idea may not be a good one (he

doesn't
know how tall the grass is, as you didn't say).

my apologies: you did say

No prob. By my calculation, his inch is just a little under 1/3 of the
current sward length :-)
Your advice on lawn care saved for future reference.
Many thanks.

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 30-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Emrys Davies

I am very pleased to have been of some help. Just found this
interesting site which may also be useful to you.

http://www.allaboutlawns.com/Mowing/...y_new_lawn.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Cat

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
I am very pleased to have been of some help. Just found this
interesting site which may also be useful to you.

http://www.allaboutlawns.com/Mowing/...y_new_lawn.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

That's a brilliant info source... and I am now in search of a "mulching or
bagging" mower...
Thanks again for all your help!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old lawn - new lawn Tintac Lawns 1 29-05-2012 06:53 PM
Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying puppilup Lawns 11 18-08-2011 11:03 PM
grass/lawn question- lawn in New England KOS Gardening 1 27-08-2008 03:49 PM
Lawn weeds and new lawn forrestgump1083 Lawns 3 23-07-2008 01:26 PM
New lawn now 2", leave trimmings on lawn? MM United Kingdom 7 12-05-2005 09:53 PM