GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82624-grass-seeds.html)

Melv 30-08-2004 11:27 AM

Grass seeds

After advice on this group I want to tear up my paving slabs and grass my
garden. What I would like to know is
A: Is it as simple as just lifting the slabs and then sowing the seeds?
B: I have been told that it wont work I need turf laying is that true?
C: Does this have to be done at a certain month/s in the year?
Melv

Emrys Davies 30-08-2004 02:21 PM

"Melv" wrote in message
After advice on this group I want to tear up my paving slabs and grass

my
garden. What I would like to know is
A: Is it as simple as just lifting the slabs and then sowing the

seeds?

You will need to dig the area and work it into a fairly fine tilth. At
the same time you can remove debris.

B: I have been told that it wont work I need turf laying is that

true?

Seed sowing will definitely work if you create the correct conditions.
You will still need to dig the area if you lay turf

C: Does this have to be done at a certain month/s in the year?

Best done in April or May, when conditions are suitable.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Emrys Davies 30-08-2004 05:03 PM

You may find this site quite helpful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic..._sowlawn.shtml

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Melv" wrote in message
After advice on this group I want to tear up my paving slabs and

grass
my
garden. What I would like to know is
A: Is it as simple as just lifting the slabs and then sowing the

Franz Heymann 30-08-2004 06:15 PM

"Melv" wrote in message
After advice on this group I want to tear up my paving slabs and

grass my
garden. What I would like to know is
A: Is it as simple as just lifting the slabs and then sowing the

seeds?

It would pay to loosen up the soil with a light digging and raking

.. B: I have been told that it wont work I need turf laying is that
true?

No.it is not true.

C: Does this have to be done at a certain month/s in the year?

Any time in the growing season. It is probably getting a little late
too start now.

Franz

Trevor Tyrrell 30-08-2004 11:21 PM

A. "He who fails to prepare, prepares to fail..." Get rid of any
sand/cement, dig, rake and level the soil until it feel s and looks
good.

B. Did someone selling turf tell you that?

C. Late Autumn is ideal. The soil is warm and moist - just don't
leave it unti ltoo late in november when the temp drops. We sowed a
new lawn last October, and it's beautiful now. Watch the farmers -
when they drill their winter crops, that's about the right time.

Hope this helps

TT

"Melv" wrote in message ...
After advice on this group I want to tear up my paving slabs and grass my
garden. What I would like to know is
A: Is it as simple as just lifting the slabs and then sowing the seeds?