Old 30-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Joanne

Default Cyclamen

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

Thanks.

Old 31-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:55 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

In my experience none of the smaller cyclamen such as those on sale in
garden centres now, are hardy, though they might do in a sheltered
innner city, or coastal garden.
The hardy cyclamen such as c. hederifolium, th most common, come into
flower now followed by the leaves. They don't flower all winter.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-08-2004, 07:18 PM
M K Rogerson

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:55 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

In my experience none of the smaller cyclamen such as those on sale in
garden centres now, are hardy, though they might do in a sheltered
innner city, or coastal garden.
The hardy cyclamen such as c. hederifolium, th most common, come into
flower now followed by the leaves. They don't flower all winter.

Cyclamen hederifolium will give you flowers through to November. You can use
Cyclamen coum to give you colour from February. The bit in the middle is a
bit difficult.

Martin R

Old 31-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
M K Rogerson wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:55 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

In my experience none of the smaller cyclamen such as those on sale in
garden centres now, are hardy, though they might do in a sheltered
innner city, or coastal garden.
The hardy cyclamen such as c. hederifolium, th most common, come into
flower now followed by the leaves. They don't flower all winter.

Cyclamen hederifolium will give you flowers through to November. You can use
Cyclamen coum to give you colour from February. The bit in the middle is a
bit difficult.

I am pretty sure mine are C. coum, and they are flowering now. They
also flower in the spring, depending on what they feel like! My
understanding is that they are adapted to short seasons, and behave
a bit weirdly in a wet climate like ours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:55 GMT, Joanne wrote:

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

Cyclamen coum's your friend.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 01-09-2004, 02:17 AM
Janet Galpin

The message

In article ,
M K Rogerson wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:55 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the
winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

The hardy cyclamen such as c. hederifolium, th most common, come into
flower now followed by the leaves. They don't flower all winter.

Cyclamen hederifolium will give you flowers through to November. You
can use
Cyclamen coum to give you colour from February. The bit in the middle is a
bit difficult.

I am pretty sure mine are C. coum, and they are flowering now. They
also flower in the spring, depending on what they feel like! My
understanding is that they are adapted to short seasons, and behave
a bit weirdly in a wet climate like ours.

In South Lincolnshire, Cyclamen hederifolium is well into flower now and
will continue for perhaps a couple of months. Some less common species
are also autumn flowering, e.g. Cyclamen cilicium, which is more
delicate than C. hederifolium and which for me showed its first flower
today, and C. mirabile, which has lovely rosy leaves which will appear
soon.
Cyclamen coum is the real winter flowerer which often for me starts to
flower in late December and lasts through until early spring. It has
slightly dumpier flowers than C. hederifolium and rounder leaves. It
looks more delicate but is quite robust once it gets going.
Last year I still had C. hederifolium at the beginning of November and
the first C. coum were in bud by 6 December, so you can get flowers
almost right through.
I would be surprised if C. coum could be flowering now. Perhaps you
(Nick) have both C. hederifolium and C. coum.

Janet G

Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (1/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 01-03-2011 01:07 AM
Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (0/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 01-03-2011 12:55 AM
Cyclamen Notes paghat Gardening 3 15-03-2003 09:08 PM
Winter Flowering Cyclamen Peter Donovan United Kingdom 17 14-03-2003 09:53 AM
cyclamen Marley1372 Gardening 2 22-02-2003 10:15 AM