Old 30-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Steve

Default New allotment

Hi

Just taken over an overgrown mess!!
Anyone know of a good website to help along a new boy?

Cheers.....

Old 30-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Mike

Hi

Just taken over an overgrown mess!!
Anyone know of a good website to help along a new boy?

Cheers.....

I would recommend the Allotment Gardeners Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh, well
out of print, but there is one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6921201 9
14&rd=1

(If the wraparound doesn't work, put 'Alan Titchmarsh' on Google and scan
down his books)

at £7.50 with about 22 hours of bidding to go

Mike

Old 30-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Mike

I would recommend the Allotment Gardeners Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh,

well
out of print, but there is one on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6921201 9
14&rd=1

(If the wraparound doesn't work, put 'Alan Titchmarsh' on Google and scan
down his books)

at £7.50 with about 22 hours of bidding to go

Mike

Sorry, meant do a search on eBay, but I have just checked, if you do a
search on Google, an eBay advert for his book/s comes up as a link on the
right hand side.

Mike

Old 30-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Franz Heymann

"Steve" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Just taken over an overgrown mess!!
Anyone know of a good website to help along a new boy?

Try this newsgroup. There are quite a few allotment enthusiasts here
(not including me).
Ask your questions and see what comes.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Steve" wrote
Just taken over an overgrown mess!!
Anyone know of a good website to help along a new boy?

So you will be subscribing to "The Kitchen Garden" magazine then?

I've not yet found a definitive site re starting a new allotment which was
why I was writing one myself for our Pooley Green Allotments web site when
our server folks decided to play nasty and demand money when it was supposed
to be free hosting.
So it is no more. Sorry.

However there are a number of us allotment holders here, together with those
who grow veg at home, so there is plenty of experience here to help you.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 31-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Shirl

Hi

Just taken over an overgrown mess!!
Anyone know of a good website to help along a new boy?

Cheers.....

Hi have a look at this site
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php

Lots of info on there!

Hope this helps

Shirl :-)

Old 31-08-2004, 11:57 AM
jane

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:12:22 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Steve" wrote
~ Just taken over an overgrown mess!!
~ Anyone know of a good website to help along a new boy?
~
~
~So you will be subscribing to "The Kitchen Garden" magazine then?
~
~I've not yet found a definitive site re starting a new allotment which was
~why I was writing one myself for our Pooley Green Allotments web site when
~our server folks decided to play nasty and demand money when it was supposed
~to be free hosting.
~So it is no more. Sorry.

So that's what happened to them! Most of mine (including moonbells)
are on basic freeserve accounts so hosting is free: works quite nicely
apart from them requiring you uplink pages via their 0845 phone number
and not through someone else's broadband.

I only have a bit of advice on starting plots, here
http://www.moonbells.freeserve.co.uk/advice/advice.html
and it's mostly a FAQ and not exhaustive.

Bob, if you have some pages you'd like me to put up for you, and they
aren't too graphics-heavy, let me know and I'll build them into
moonbells. Still got a few MB free and I can always link my separate
pages into another site I share.

~
~However there are a number of us allotment holders here, together with those
~who grow veg at home, so there is plenty of experience here to help you.

Theory is fine, my practice this year has been awful. Will be glad
when the wedding's over and I can get back to weeding...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 31-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"jane" wrote after me
~
[...]

Thanks, I had got about half way through the total update and the new
allotment guide pages when it went off the net. Only a couple of us left and
we arn't prepared to pay out for a web site.
I'll think about your kind offer Jane and let you know, or I might just try
another free hosting server if I get the urge. :-)

~
~However there are a number of us allotment holders here, together with

those
~who grow veg at home, so there is plenty of experience here to help you.

Theory is fine, my practice this year has been awful. Will be glad
when the wedding's over and I can get back to weeding...

Can't weed 'cause it's too wet, the hoe won't work and I don't want to get
on the ground and compact it. Otherwise everything is growing better than
ever, brassicas are the biggest ever.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 31-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Mike

at £7.50 with about 22 hours of bidding to go

Mike

Went for £20.50 plus £2.25 P&P :-)) anyone here?

Mike
No ours is not for sale :-((