Old 30-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Peter

Default Passiflora - preparation for winter.

Hi,

Last year our Passiflora excelled itself. It took over the sunny
but sheltered corner where it grows, completely hiding a three
seater wooden seat and pouring over the fence into our (delighted)
neighbour's garden. It flowered profusely.

Well into autumn I cut it back to leave a foot or so of three or
four stems. The largest stem was perhaps 5/8 inch in diameter where
I cut it. The plant was protected from extreme cold by a reasonably
well ventilated bubble plastic tent.

This year the remaining stems produced few and sad looking shoots.

A number of healthier looking shoots came up from ground level.
They went all dark and wrinkled. We had not realised that snails
were feasting on these at night. Once the error of our ways had
been pointed out we controlled the snails and growth really got
going. It is now about six feet high and about the same wide -
perhaps seven feet each way in two or three of days time!

Sadly we shall have no flowers this year.

Please, can you tell me where we went wrong? Was it just that we
let the plant down by letting the snails get at it? Just how far
should we cut it back?

Thank you for your advice.

Peter
(North Staffordshire)

Old 30-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Matthew Durkin

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Peter,
you shouldn't cut it back at all at the end of the season. You must wait
until the new shoots start appearing in late spring / early summer before
attempting any pruning.
If you prune at the end of the year, the plant is much worse affected by
cold and can be really set back.
I have one in quite an exposed position, so some stems die off. You can
remove all old dead leaves, but you mustn't cut into the stems.

Hope this helps! We've just had a second year out of ours - covered in
flowers and lots of fruit. It started growing a bit late as it's a bit
exposed and planted in a container, so gets knocked back. It still manages a
staggering amount of growth in one season!

Matt

Old 30-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Peter

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:07:22 GMT, "Matthew Durkin"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank you Matt, that was most helpfu, and what a quick reply!

Peter