GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any fern growers out there? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82724-any-fern-growers-out-there.html)

Ford Prefect 31-08-2004 08:09 PM

Any fern growers out there?

My friend (with only email from work) grows tree ferns he recently
visited a friend of his in Brum and sent me this message...

Snip
"they had a miniature tree fern (well they think it is miniature) that
he had brought his father at the NEC plant show back in June (As
you may be able to tell I am very annoyed he did not get me one at the
same time). The chap selling them had about a dozen at only £8
each. It is without doubt the most beautiful tree fern I have ever
seen. Why? Well I shall tell you. This particular specimen stood about
12 Inches high, but looked like a full grown tree fern, but it bonsai
form! Ideal for you for several reasons. It must never have direct
light and you can never over-water it! Ideally it stand in 2.5 inches
of water at all times!!! Besides what I have already mentioned is that
between the bark and the fronds it has 'legs'!! Yes, but not only that
they look exactly like Tarantula legs (thus the name). Small furry
fronds that come off the fern in a horizontal fashion. This plant is
truly amazing and I want to get one (or two) at the earliest
opportunity. It was labeled Davallia spiders feet fern"
Snip

I've done several Google searches and seen loads of ferns called both
Davallia Sp. and spiders feet fern but only a few had photos of the
whole plant only the fronds and the ones that did look nothing like
mini tree ferns.
Anyone on the group shed any light.
TIA
Ford.