Old 01-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Aardvark

Default Senecio

There is a shrub very similar to Senecio Maritimus and I would like to
know its name. I am assuming that the shrub I have seen is a
different plant to Senecio because my books list Senecio as a half
hardy annual and this shrub is a fully hardy evergreen shrub.

Charateristics -
Shrub generally 3 to 4 feet high, mound like in shape

Silvery grey leaves oval in shape

flowers yellow daisy like, are bourne on stems that rise 3 - 6 inches
above the leaves. in clusters of 8 to 10 per stem.

Hope someone can help

Old 02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Spider

Aardvark wrote in message

There is a shrub very similar to Senecio Maritimus and I would like to
know its name. I am assuming that the shrub I have seen is a
different plant to Senecio because my books list Senecio as a half
hardy annual and this shrub is a fully hardy evergreen shrub.

Charateristics -
Shrub generally 3 to 4 feet high, mound like in shape

Silvery grey leaves oval in shape

flowers yellow daisy like, are bourne on stems that rise 3 - 6 inches
above the leaves. in clusters of 8 to 10 per stem.

Hope someone can help

Hi Aardvark,

The Senecio genus has been chopped about a bit by the taxonomists. Try
searching under the name Brachyglottis, which is the tag now generally used
for the woodier plants previously listed under Senecio.

There is a plant very like the one you describe called Brachglottis
'Sunshine'. You may see it under B. greyi 'Sunshine', but some experts
believe greyi and the cultivar 'Sunshine' are different plants.

Older gardening books/plant catalogues will show this plant under its old
Senecio tag, of course.

Hope this helps.
Spider

Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Aardvark

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:31:04 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

There is a shrub very similar to Senecio Maritimus and I would like to
know its name. I am assuming that the shrub I have seen is a
different plant to Senecio because my books list Senecio as a half
hardy annual and this shrub is a fully hardy evergreen shrub.

Hi Aardvark,

The Senecio genus has been chopped about a bit by the taxonomists. Try
searching under the name Brachyglottis, which is the tag now generally used
for the woodier plants previously listed under Senecio.

There is a plant very like the one you describe called Brachglottis
'Sunshine'. You may see it under B. greyi 'Sunshine', but some experts
believe greyi and the cultivar 'Sunshine' are different plants.

Older gardening books/plant catalogues will show this plant under its old
Senecio tag, of course.

many thanks

Phil (posting from home this time)