Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Pam Moore

Default scented cyclamen

Many years ago, around 1957, I went on holiday to Lugano.
Up in the hills ubder oine trees were a mass of cyclamen in flower,
which were beautifully scented. It was about the time which some of
you of my era may remember when a new soap was introduced called
Fabulous Pink Camay with perfume that "cost 5 guineas an ounce." amay
smells differently now!
Ever since I have tried to find a similarly scented cyclamen. I have
asked at plant sales, even such renowned people as Christine
Skelmersdale, and bought many different ones. Occasionally I have had
one vaguely scented but nothing to repeat the Lugano experience.
I know my garden is not quite the Italian hills but this is my
lifetime quest.
Does anyone know of one that would fill the bill?

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Many years ago, around 1957, I went on holiday to Lugano.
Up in the hills ubder oine trees

Your typos are more poetic than mine.

[snip]

Franz

Old 01-09-2004, 10:14 AM
David Hill

Many years ago Wye college brought out a range of small flowered scented
cyclamen, and you can still get them, or their descendants, probably not as
strongly scented as in your memory, but they are around, I have just bought
and sold 3 dozen of them this last weekend.
Thompson and Morgan list 3 varieties
Scentsation Mixed 10 seeds for £4.99
Persicum (hardy) 8 seeds for £3.49
Purpurascens syn. europaeum (hardy) 5 seeds for £4.99

Other firms should also have some listed and probably at a better price.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-09-2004, 10:17 AM
David Hill

Up in the hills ubder oine trees

Your typos are more poetic than mine.

No Franz .. "ubder oine" ... is the local accent that Pam picked up at the
time

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:45:08 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Your typos are more poetic than mine.

Oops, Franz! My touch typing is less than perfect!

David, thanks for that. Yes purpurascens was I think the one that
Lady Skelmersdale suggested and I bought one, with disappointing
results, as also my seed sowing has been. Perhaps the Italian sun,
and large numbers of plants are what I need.
Do you have any for mail order? I'd drive over if I could!!!

Pam in Bristol

Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Sacha

On 1/9/04 10:17 am, in article , "David
Hill" wrote:

Up in the hills ubder oine trees

Your typos are more poetic than mine.

No Franz .. "ubder oine" ... is the local accent that Pam picked up at the
time

I thought she was ubder oine" to clear up a cold - very beneficial, pine
essence. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Many years ago, around 1957, I went on holiday to Lugano.
Up in the hills ubder oine trees were a mass of cyclamen in flower,
which were beautifully scented. It was about the time which some of
you of my era may remember when a new soap was introduced called
Fabulous Pink Camay with perfume that "cost 5 guineas an ounce." amay
smells differently now!
Ever since I have tried to find a similarly scented cyclamen. I have
asked at plant sales, even such renowned people as Christine
Skelmersdale, and bought many different ones. Occasionally I have had
one vaguely scented but nothing to repeat the Lugano experience.
I know my garden is not quite the Italian hills but this is my
lifetime quest.
Does anyone know of one that would fill the bill?

Pam in Bristol

C. purpurescens is the most scented hardy one.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:22:23 GMT, Pam Moore wrote:

Oops, Franz! My touch typing is less than perfect!

Considering your eye problems, a mistake like "ubder oine trees"
is a non-issue. I've always wanted to sit ubder an oine tree and
srinl eibe eko;r ;odyrmomh yp yjr ;omyromhs;rd domh/

David, thanks for that. Yes purpurascens was I think the one that
Lady Skelmersdale suggested and I bought one, with disappointing
results, as also my seed sowing has been. Perhaps the Italian sun,
and large numbers of plants are what I need.

Cyclamen europaeum (= C. purpurasens) is native over a a fairly
wide swathe of Europe, from northern Italy to somewhere up in
Czechoslovakia. The forms from around Lake Garda in Italy have
some notoriety among cyclamen enthusiasts as being "distinctive."

At a guess, your lack of success with C.e. (C.p.) is due to (a)
receiving plants and seeds derived from other, less well-scented
localities and (b) the fact that it's a ******* to grow in a mild
climate. Here in Victoria, our climate is simply too mild, too
uniform for it, too cool in summer and too warm in winter, and
the dry summers don't help any either. My pathetic few specimens
are carefully sited in a bed that gets summer water, in the
deepest shade. One of them is actually flowering as I write. One
flower, that is. Wow. Yippee. Big deal. I want sheets of them!

But otoh I have read accounts from Chicago, where the climate is
an unspeakable continental horror of steaming hot summers, fierce
wind storms, and intensely cold, snowy winters, and where most
cyclamen species are a writeoff. C. europaeum does very well
there in the open garden. As an opera goer might say, boo hiss.

(My facts may be a little muddled, but you can check up on me in
any good book on cyclamen.)

My only advice: move to Chicago. Take your wooly underwear along;
you'll need it.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 PM
David Hill

Rodger Whitlock wrote "..........My only advice: move to Chicago. Take your
wooly underwear along; you'll need it. ..."

Don't be silly Rodger, much easier to move to Lake Garda in Italy

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

[snip]

(hopefully no more typos)

How very disappointing. You showed such promise.

Franz

Old 02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:58:28 GMT, Pam Moore wrote:

(hopefully no more typos)

I found your typos quite charming and, considering the
circumstances, quite understandable.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Rod

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:00:02 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

Many years ago, around 1957, I went on holiday to Lugano.
Up in the hills ubder oine trees were a mass of cyclamen in flower,
which were beautifully scented. It was about the time which some of
you of my era may remember when a new soap was introduced called
Fabulous Pink Camay with perfume that "cost 5 guineas an ounce." amay
smells differently now!
Ever since I have tried to find a similarly scented cyclamen. I have

I take it we are talking hardy Cyclamen? In which case the others have
pretty well covered it. The scent is fairly subtle so you really do
need sheets of them and probably higher temps and light than they
will get.in your garden.
otoh if you want pot grown indoor Cyclamen then there are several of
the commercial F1 hybrid series that are scented, for example Laser,
Midori, Miracle. Again they are better en mass and in decent light.
The ones we take to the big house are usually placed away from windows
and we don't get the full scent. In our own house we put them in
windows and get the smell as soon as we enter the room. In the
greenhouse with dozens in flower the scent is wonderful.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.