Old 01-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Jimbo

Default fast growing flowering shrub

Anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing decorative shrub-bush-or tree
that would grow well in the most northern town in England. I only need one
for a part of the front garden that needs a radical change. Many thanks to
those who answer.

Old 01-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jimbo (remove $ ) wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing decorative shrub-bush-or tree
that would grow well in the most northern town in England. I only need one
for a part of the front garden that needs a radical change. Many thanks to
those who answer.

Please provide a little more information! How big do you want it?
What is your soil like (roughly)? What aspect (i.e. full sun to
full shade and is it exposed to strong winds)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:19 PM
bnd777

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message
Anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing decorative shrub-bush-or tree
that would grow well in the most northern town in England. I only need one
for a part of the front garden that needs a radical change. Many thanks to
those who answer.

Philadelphus (Mock Orange ) is the fastest tallest growing flowering shrub
that tolerates everything even being burnt or the worst of pruning

weigela is another thats pretty robust

Old 01-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Sacha

On 1/9/04 10:19 pm, in article , "bnd777"
wrote:

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message
Anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing decorative shrub-bush-or tree
that would grow well in the most northern town in England. I only need one
for a part of the front garden that needs a radical change. Many thanks to
those who answer.

Philadelphus (Mock Orange ) is the fastest tallest growing flowering shrub
that tolerates everything even being burnt or the worst of pruning

weigela is another thats pretty robust

Buddleia?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Jimbo

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jimbo (remove $ ) wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing decorative shrub-bush-or tree
that would grow well in the most northern town in England. I only need

one
for a part of the front garden that needs a radical change. Many thanks

those who answer.

Please provide a little more information! How big do you want it?
What is your soil like (roughly)? What aspect (i.e. full sun to
full shade and is it exposed to strong winds)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for that Nick.
Soil is neutral moderate clay. Sunny position and subject to strong coastal
(1/4 mile away) winds.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Emrys Davies

http://tinyurl.com/6oavt

Regards,
Emrys Davies

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 1/9/04 10:19 pm, in article ,

Old 02-09-2004, 10:54 AM
David Hill

I would look at Hebe, a large family, many fast growing

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Philip

Leycesteria is my suggestion.

http://images.google.com/images?q=le...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Can be pruned right down and will still come back with a showing the
next summer. So if your plant get badly hit by winds you can prune it
smaller and be assured it will come back nect year.