Old 03-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Mike

Default Garden dimensions

Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

Mike

--
British Pacific Fleet Reunion Birmingham September 17th - 20th
H.M.S.Collingwood Assoc. Mini Reunion Weekend at Coventry Sept 24th - 27th

Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Neil Jones

"Mike" wrote in message
Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

Mike

"Can keep on top of the garden maintenace" = small garden
"Garden escapes human control from time to time" = large garden

:-)

Neil

Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
David Hill

Mike asked "..Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?.."

Its all relative
If you had a garden of 5 acres and now have moved to half an acre then to
you have a small garden, if however you had a 20ft by 6ft garden then a move
to an eighths of an acre gives you a large garden.
I once had 2 Ladies in at the same time asking for rockery plants, both said
that their rockeries were "Quite large".
When pressed one said hers was 6ft long and about 3 ft deep, the other was
60ft long and went from 5ft to 14 ft in depth.
A small town garden will be a lot smaller than a small country garden.
Size is in the eye of the beholder.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-09-2004, 03:28 PM
D Russell

"David Hill" wrote in message
Mike asked "..Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?.."

snip
Size is in the eye of the beholder.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

and as I heard today;

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 03-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:24:49 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

I only know that when magazines and TV progs talk about "Small
Gardens" they are almost always several times bigger than mine.
Mine is 27 x 15 feet. (Front even smaller)

Pam in Bristol

Old 03-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Mike

Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

I only know that when magazines and TV progs talk about "Small
Gardens" they are almost always several times bigger than mine.
Mine is 27 x 15 feet. (Front even smaller)

Pam in Bristol

Well this is what brought the subject of size up. Do for example Garden
Planners, Seedmen, Garden Maintenance Companies, Nurseries etc, have a
'norm' which defines 'Small', 'Large'?

I know when I was in business and a prospective customer telephoned me 'How
much?', I had to ask lots of questions. If I ring a Travel Agent and ask him
how much a Cruise will cost. How long, how many, where to?, but I have it in
my mind, that somewhere, such as in your quote above, there is a Small/Large
divide. Taking your size vs. mine, our is small 100 ft (depending on whether
you count garage and parking space) x 20 ft. What would a TV Producer call
it???????????

Mike

Old 03-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Troglodyte

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

As a designer I would have to say that your question is related to the
in-quantifiable notion of space. As others have said, this measure of size
is a matter of perception, location, existing content and intended usage.
Designers worth their salt do not charge by the square meter (typically) but
according to your project. If it is the selection of a 'Small Gardens'
book, go to the library and borrow one to give it a dry run!
Sorry, no help available!
Neil

Old 03-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:38:28 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

What would a TV Producer call
it???????????

A few years ago there was a Tv prog/series entitled "Trees for small
gardens". I forget who presented it. I wrote and complained that
NONE of those trees would be any good in my SMALL garden.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM
shazzbat

"Troglodyte" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message

Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

I only know that when magazines and TV progs talk about "Small
Gardens" they are almost always several times bigger than mine.
Mine is 27 x 15 feet. (Front even smaller)

Pam in Bristol

Well this is what brought the subject of size up. Do for example Garden
Planners, Seedmen, Garden Maintenance Companies, Nurseries etc, have a
'norm' which defines 'Small', 'Large'?

If your piece of string can mark out the perimeter, it's a small garden. If
not, it's a large garden.

Simple really.
Steve ;--))

Old 03-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Mike

If your piece of string can mark out the perimeter, it's a small garden.

If
not, it's a large garden.

Simple really.
Steve ;--))

Ah!! But how long is a piece of string?

A good Boy Scout always had a Shilling, a Pocket Knife, a Piece of String
and a Handkerchief in his pocket, but my piece of string is much large for
my pocket ;-}

Mike

Old 03-09-2004, 09:03 PM
atwifa

if you can throw a stone and hit your boundary fence, you have a small
garden.

if you require a steam catapult* to get the stone to hit the fence and a
telescope to assess the damage, the garden is large.

if you need substantial supplies of food and water when considering a walk
round your garden, you are probably lost in scotland somewhere.

*permission from your local constabulary might be required when using one of
these.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Brian Watson

"Mike" wrote in message
Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

Small garden = what you've got.

Large garden = what you want.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing to say

Old 03-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Sacha

On 3/9/04 21:57, in article , "Brian
Watson" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Large Garden.

Small Garden

Is there a parameter set to define size of garden?

Small garden = what you've got.

Large garden = what you want.

As to the latter - not necessarily. You cannot imagine how many customers
tells us they have to reduce the size of their garden because they're now 60
or 65 - it's as if they think some switch goes off at that sort of age.
My 71 yo husband simply looks at them in amazement as he prepares for
another session of digging, weeding, planting! Yesterday, a customer rang
and complained that Ray had sold her two Zauschnerias. He put his hand up
for this 'crime'. The problem? They'd spread about 8" in each direction
and she couldn't 'cope' with them. I'm not kidding - this is gospel truth.
The old saying that there nowt so queer as folk is alive and kicking in the
Nursery industry, I can tell you.
The good news is that 99-999999% of the customers are just lovely!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:03:59 +0100, "atwifa"
wrote:

if you can throw a stone and hit your boundary fence, you have a small
garden.

If you can stand in one spot and water the whole garden with the nose,
without moving (apart from turning that is!), then you have a small
garden.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

If your piece of string can mark out the perimeter, it's a small

garden.
If
not, it's a large garden.

Simple really.
Steve ;--))

Ah!! But how long is a piece of string?

Equal to the periphery of a small garden, of course.

A good Boy Scout always had a Shilling, a Pocket Knife, a Piece of

String
and a Handkerchief in his pocket, but my piece of string is much

large for
my pocket ;-}

Franz

Help with dimensions RichToyBox Ponds 5 14-08-2004 02:26 AM
Help with dimensions Robin Ponds 9 13-08-2004 08:27 PM
Wheelchair accessable garden dimensions? Matthew Gardening 0 16-03-2004 02:14 AM
Wheelchair accessable garden dimensions? Matthew Gardening 0 16-03-2004 01:48 AM
Dimensions of 24" All-Glass compact florescent lighting strip Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 07:20 AM