Old 03-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default tractors

We are looking for a second hand tractor (and rotavator) for our
smallholding. Originally we were looking at Fergies but these don't really
go slow enough for rotavating. We have now been drawn to the Kubota or Iseki
compact tractor - we have sourced one Iseki with rotavator and wonder if
anyone has any experience of this make/model - 2160.

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
David Hill

Jeanne said "..We are looking for a second hand tractor (and rotavator) for
our smallholding. Originally we were looking at Fergies but these don't
really go slow enough for rotavating....."

For years we used a Massy Fergison 35 for rotovating, never had any
problems with the speed, and it is not much bigger than the old grey Fergie.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
H&P

"David Hill" wrote in message
Jeanne said "..We are looking for a second hand tractor (and rotavator)

for
our smallholding. Originally we were looking at Fergies but these don't
really go slow enough for rotavating....."

For years we used a Massy Fergison 35 for rotovating, never had any
problems with the speed, and it is not much bigger than the old grey

Fergie.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I second what David said. Little to beat a MF 35. I bought mine at auction

fo £450 and it takes all standard implements. You won't get a Kubota for
that money. Crap 12 hp models fetch a grand. If you want to "judge" the
market go to the monthly auction at Sutton, Cambridgshire run by Cheffins to
see what your money would buy. www.cheffins.co.uk click on "Cambrige
Machinery Sales" then "Catalogues" next sale is 13 Sept. Worth going just
to see the enormous variety of stuff available. The 35 has other advantages
over the Grey Fergie, it isn't "collectable", it is very cheap to maintain
( parts easily available) & it will operate most standard implements
regards Joe

Old 03-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Rod

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:22:47 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

We are looking for a second hand tractor (and rotavator) for our
smallholding. Originally we were looking at Fergies but these don't really
go slow enough for rotavating. We have now been drawn to the Kubota or Iseki
compact tractor - we have sourced one Iseki with rotavator and wonder if
anyone has any experience of this make/model - 2160.

Jeanne Stockdale

We've been running little Kubotas for over 10 yrs now (B1750HST &
B2150HST) and we love 'em. These 17 & 21HP tractors are just big
enough to operate a very useful range of kit (and don't forget to
budget for the kit, without the implements your tractor is just a slow
way of riding around the holding). These models are now old enough to
be reasonable prices S/H. The 35 is OK if you have the room, and
implements are cheap but compacts are much more user friendly and
versatile in confined spaces, and yes a lot more expensive. Get one
with 4WD and front loader, you won't regret it. If you have any weight
on the back of a 35 it's likely to go straight on when you want to
turn, that's a common drawback of 2wd tractors if you haven't put any
weights on the front. Just a few random thoughts but I hope they help.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Rod

wrote:

We are looking for a second hand tractor (and rotavator) for our
smallholding. Originally we were looking at Fergies but these don't really
go slow enough for rotavating. We have now been drawn to the Kubota or Iseki
compact tractor - we have sourced one Iseki with rotavator and wonder if
anyone has any experience of this make/model - 2160.

Jeanne Stockdale

Do you just want rotavating? or a lot of other functions? Knowing
nothing of your budget or the size of your holding - have you
considered a serious rotavator like a Howard Gem, depending on age and
condition they go for anything from a few pounds to around £500 or
more, all they do is rotavate and they do it well.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

[...]

How do the Kubotas etc stand up in second-hand condition? I think of
the MF (let alone the dear old grey Fergie, which I sadly agree is now
only for collectors: wish I hadn't flogged mine quite so soon!) as fit
for a couple of generations. Do the Japanese ones last that long? (A
genuine question, not sarky: I really don't know - my Nissan Bluebird
was going on for ever till the boy..er..remodelled it.) I know there's
a space issue at the headlands, of course.

(As you say, you can always add weights to the front of 2wds: don't
you just love those elegant plastic barrels full of concrete?)

The warning to budget for the tackle is very wise: it must enter into
the calculations.

Mike.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

wrote:

Do you just want rotavating? or a lot of other functions? Knowing
nothing of your budget or the size of your holding - have you
considered a serious rotavator like a Howard Gem, depending on age and
condition they go for anything from a few pounds to around £500 or
more, all they do is rotavate and they do it well.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

My total plot size is about two acres with about half suitable for
cultivation. We already had two hand controlled rotovators, one a Mantis and
one larger one which takes a lot of effort to control. The Mantis is an
excellent tool for the smaller jobs.
I have now taken the plunge and gone for an iseki 4wd + kuhn on the back
that will hopefully make light work of the plot.
The Iseki will also come in for other jobs -transportation ,topping etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...41421 16&rd=1

My tidy "suit display or work" grey TEF diesel Fergi is now up for grabs
and will be advertised shortly.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Rod

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:11:44 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have now taken the plunge and gone for an iseki 4wd + kuhn on the back
that will hopefully make light work of the plot.
The Iseki will also come in for other jobs -transportation ,topping etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...41421 16&rd=1

Looks OK. It doesn't have a roll bar so I suspect it may have started
life as a 'grey' import (nothing wrong with that, just a matter of
interest) I would strongly advise you to get a roll bar fitted asap or
sooner, compact tractors are *very* easy to tip over. We've not rolled
one but we have had one or two anxious moments on our banks. Dunno if
you have much in the way of muck, hardcore etc to shift - if you do
then a 4wd machine this size is well worth fitting up with a front
loader if the budget runs to it. Forget the old mechanical loaders
you've seen on things like your Fergie, the hydraulic loaders on
compacts are wonderful tools for loading, levelling, scraping and all
sorts of other things you've not imagined yet, but definitely not to
be used without a roll bar. There is a company called Lewis who make
oem loaders for several tractor manufacturers, they should be able to
fix you up

Old 06-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

I heed what you say about roll bars. Iterestingly neither the Lewis site nor
the www.minitractor.co.uk site seem to feature them as an item for purchase
although all the models featured on the Lewis site have them fitted.

Regards
Pete www.thecanalshop.com

Old 06-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

I heed what you say about roll bars. Iterestingly neither the Lewis site

nor
the www.minitractor.co.uk site seem to feature them as an item for

purchase
although all the models featured on the Lewis site have them fitted.

Regards
Pete www.thecanalshop.com

Corr
www.minitrac.co.uk

Old 06-09-2004, 04:57 PM
David Hill

If you have a tractor just for your own use you don't have to have a roll
bar, but if anyone else uses it then by law you must have one fitted.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Rod

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:57:35 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

If you have a tractor just for your own use you don't have to have a roll
bar, but if anyone else uses it then by law you must have one fitted.

True, you're allowed to kill yourself, but it's frowned upon to kill
employees.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Rod

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:02:23 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

I heed what you say about roll bars. Iterestingly neither the Lewis site nor
the www.minitractor.co.uk site seem to feature them as an item for purchase
although all the models featured on the Lewis site have them fitted.

Regards
Pete www.thecanalshop.com

Sorry, on re reading my post it looked like I meant they would fix you
up with a roll bar. I meant they ought to be able to help with a
loader. The roll bar might be a bit more difficult. Since Health and
Safety is involved, specifications and certification are tight so they
are normally only supplied by makers' approved dealers and for
specific models. There are no generic one size fits all solutions that
I'm aware of..

Old 25-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Will

wrote:

If you have a tractor just for your own use you don't have to have a roll
bar, but if anyone else uses it then by law you must have one fitted.

Just came across this post, hence the late response, but as I
recall, you and any members of your family are allowed to use a
tractor without a roll bar...

--
Regards,

Will.

blades for lawn tractors, difference in quality? Joe Zorzin Lawns 6 22-07-2003 10:47 AM
Used BCS walking tractors? [email protected] North Carolina 0 05-06-2003 09:17 AM
Used BCS walking tractors? [email protected] North Carolina 0 04-06-2003 04:33 PM
Lawn Tractors Declan United Kingdom 0 18-05-2003 09:08 PM
Does Honda still make tractors? Jeff Guay Lawns 8 26-04-2003 07:20 PM