Old 03-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered User

Smile Monty Don

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at Buck House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

CHeers
Old 03-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Kate Morgan

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

I did not see the prog but we bought a flame gun from Axminster tools,
very useful tool

kate

http://www.axminster.co.uk
Old 03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Weedeater" wrote in
message ...

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at

Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

Don't waste your money on a flame gun. It just burns off the top
growth, and most weeds come to life again within a week or two.

Did you know that the top growth of the heather on the fells is burnt
off regularly to rejuvenate the heather?

Franz

Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Sacha

On 3/9/04 22:14, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Weedeater" wrote in
message ...

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at

Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

Don't waste your money on a flame gun. It just burns off the top
growth, and most weeds come to life again within a week or two.

Did you know that the top growth of the heather on the fells is burnt
off regularly to rejuvenate the heather?

It's done on Dartmoor, too and is called swaleing (sp?) I think it's pretty
standard practice on moorland, isn't it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 3/9/04 22:14, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Weedeater" wrote in
message ...

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at

Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

Don't waste your money on a flame gun. It just burns off the top
growth, and most weeds come to life again within a week or two.

Did you know that the top growth of the heather on the fells is

burnt
off regularly to rejuvenate the heather?

It's done on Dartmoor, too and is called swaleing (sp?) I think

it's pretty
standard practice on moorland, isn't it?

Yes. There are many heather moors around where I live. Thay are
continually rejuvenated by burning off sections at a time.

Franz

Old 04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Weedeater" wrote in
message ...

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at

Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

Don't waste your money on a flame gun. It just burns off the top
growth, and most weeds come to life again within a week or two.

I emphatically endorse this advice. I've tried only one (wish I could
remember the brand-name: sorry), but it inflamed nothing as much as my
temper.

Just to see what would happen, I also once -- under controlled
conditions, and while the children were at school -- used a
watering-can to cover a smallish area with petrol and chucked a
burning oily rag in from upwind. That didn't hurt the weeds much,
either! (Please don't think about proving me wrong on this: it was a
very silly thing to do.)

There aren't really any ways round weeding. In some situations
herbicides will help, but usually the best thing is just to get in
there and use sweat-power and patience. Dogged does it; and remember,
gardeners are excused Church Parade because they've already spent most
of the previous week on their knees.

Mike.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...

[snip]

There aren't really any ways round weeding. In some situations
herbicides will help, but usually the best thing is just to get in
there and use sweat-power and patience. Dogged does it; and

remember,
gardeners are excused Church Parade because they've already spent

most
of the previous week on their knees.

I like that particularly, since at my age I have to do almost all my
gardening kneeling on a rubber mat.

Franz

Old 05-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:14:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Weedeater" wrote in
message ...

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at

Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

Don't waste your money on a flame gun. It just burns off the top
growth, and most weeds come to life again within a week or two.

Did you know that the top growth of the heather on the fells is burnt
off regularly to rejuvenate the heather?

Franz

Unwanted flame guns regularly appear at our local dump (recycling
centre), which speaks volumes. A spray with glyphosate is more
effective and less trouble IMO, although less macho, I'll agree.

--
Chris

Old 05-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Kate Morgan

snip
I bought an ex-hire Sheen gun for 10 or 15 pounds 20 years ago, and
it's still going strong.I wouldn't be without it..it's what I use to
repel/control weeds on the drive, paths, under hedges, and a swift pass
will kill every newly germinated weed on a seed bed.

Janet

I am pleased to hear that there is someone else who uses a flamegun :-)
we use ours for the same things as Janet does and find it most useful .
kate
Old 05-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
snip
I bought an ex-hire Sheen gun for 10 or 15 pounds 20 years ago,

and
it's still going strong.I wouldn't be without it..it's what I use

repel/control weeds on the drive, paths, under hedges, and a swift

pass
will kill every newly germinated weed on a seed bed.

Janet

I am pleased to hear that there is someone else who uses a flamegun

:-)
we use ours for the same things as Janet does and find it most

useful .
kate

Glyphosate achieves the same and more, more reliably, faster and
cheaper.

Franz

Old 06-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Peter

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:11:52 +0100, Weedeater
wrote:

Did anyone see Monty Don use a flame gun on TV recently (maybe at Buck
House).

Does anyone know what sort it was or where I can get it ?

CHeers

My flame gun was bought to enable me to clear the footpath and
gutter of our cul-de-sac of small weeds. The gun has hung in the
shed unused for at least four years. It just does not kill weeds!
I have returned to twice a year use of Pathclear which does work.

Peter

Old 08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Neil Jones

[...]

And arguably more environmentally-friendly, too.

Neil

Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet
Baraclough.. writes

I bought an ex-hire Sheen gun for 10 or 15 pounds 20 years ago, and
it's still going strong.I wouldn't be without it..it's what I use to
repel/control weeds on the drive, paths, under hedges, and a swift pass
will kill every newly germinated weed on a seed bed.

Janet

I've got a sheen also and I find it invaluable, as you say, it's diesel
for paths etc and the idea is to go over the tops of weeds first to dry
and scorch them then when they are dead, go over them again to destroy
the seeds.
I find it really good on stuff such as dandelions etc to stop the seeds
blowing around the garden and it's also good for scorching and killing
moss.

It's also a lot safer than chemicals but it is fiddly to fill and prime.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

The Monty Don Project JennyC United Kingdom 6 29-11-2006 04:03 PM
Monty Don Padger United Kingdom 1 31-12-2005 03:58 PM
grr !! Monty Don perpetuating compost myths .... gentlegreen United Kingdom 42 14-10-2005 12:14 PM
Monty Don and his spade DLee United Kingdom 29 07-10-2003 04:32 PM
Monty Don JennyC United Kingdom 15 15-07-2003 02:44 PM