Old 07-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Nyssa

Thanks everyone for all your input! I think you're right, Dave, I
vaguely remember seeing a plant that looked similar to mine had the
bromeliad label at the garden center so that may be what it is, I will
have to check back with the center when I have some time.

Kathie, thanks for the reassurance, when I split the sections, they
all had well established roots (except the last one I split had a
smaller share, which was why I thought I may have killed it). The soil
is really moist so I try not to water so much...not sure how much to
water. But I will see if I can cut the flower...it's still just a
bud, it has not opened since I bought the plant a month ago. I'm
thinking these take a while to bloom. Cut all the way to the leaf
level?

Kathie wrote in message ...
Hi!
Chances are that you had a pot that contained three smaller plants to
begin with, and that your separating them was logical. Don't worry
about the broken roots, as it is common paratice to disturb roots by
tearing or even cutting when transplanting; it wakes them up and gets
them to growing again. And it does sound like your plant (whose name I
can't recall at the moment...) needed to get out of the overcrowded pot.
The only thing I might suggest that will help your plants along would
be to remove the flowers/flower stems as it is extra stress on any
plant to be transplanted while it is blooming. If you find this hard
or impossible to do, I can understand, so just continue your liquid
Schultz with every watering for a few weeks.
I am a professional container designer, and, since you are a new
gardener, would be happy to give you tips on container gardening and
plants in general if you would like...just ask! Don't want to bore you
with blather of not!
But welcome to a wonderful world of enjoyment!

wire for split rail fence Dave Lawns 9 09-03-2004 05:13 AM
split apples Stephen Throop Edible Gardening 1 02-09-2003 05:02 PM
Strawberries in tub split?? [email protected] United Kingdom 5 03-07-2003 09:42 AM
Split tree trunk bthache Gardening 1 30-05-2003 05:09 PM
Plantex CSM split..... used in making PMDD Cannibul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:20 AM