Old 04-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Screen in shade - suggestions

In article ,
chunky_john wrote:

I want to plant a screen to hide my shed/utility area. However, both
are under a number of quite large trees, and hence are pretty shaded
for spring and summer. What could I plant to form a screen in such a
site? The screen will need to achieve a height of about 6-8 ft. The
easy option is to continue a nearby line of Castlewellan Gold
conifers. However, I would like to use something different if
possible. I have read a bit and drawn up a shortlist, but as a
relative novice, would like some advice. My shortlist: Buxus
sempervirens, Enkianthus campanulatus, Aucuba japonica, Thuja plicata,
Pyracanthus mohave, Prunus (? which variety)

Box is very slow-growing and anything with a name like mohave probably
needs as much sun as it can get (in this dark island). You definitely
need undershrubs, and ones adapted to the far north, too. Generally,
Prunus species aren't very suitable. I don't know about the rest.

Don't forget holly (I. aquifolium), which does well as an undershrub
(but DO select a green form, not a variegated or yellow one). If
you are in a wet, acid area, camellias are good. And there are lots
of others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Rod

On 4 Sep 2004 05:55:33 -0700, (chunky_john)
wrote:

Hi -

I want to plant a screen to hide my shed/utility area. However, both
are under a number of quite large trees, and hence are pretty shaded
for spring and summer. What could I plant to form a screen in such a
site? The screen will need to achieve a height of about 6-8 ft. The
easy option is to continue a nearby line of Castlewellan Gold
conifers. However, I would like to use something different if
possible. I have read a bit and drawn up a shortlist, but as a
relative novice, would like some advice. My shortlist: Buxus
sempervirens, Enkianthus campanulatus, Aucuba japonica, Thuja plicata,
Pyracanthus mohave, Prunus (? which variety)

Can anybody enlighten me? Pros/cons of each option? Any better
suggestions?

What are the trees? In summer Sycamore or Limes in particular will be
full of aphids which will drop honeydew onto your shrubs - a
disfiguring black mould will grow on this and it will look especially
bad on broad leaved evergreens.
Box is slow and it stinks - yes it really doesn't smell very nice, not
to me anyway.
Enkianthus are lovely plants, lime haters but maybe a bit on the
sparse side for a screen,
Subject to the remarks above, Hollies, Laurels, Aucuba are finebut
will need trimming or pruning to keep them within your allotted space.
I wouldn't use any conifers.
Again subject to my remarks about honeydew and the shade not being too
deep, Nick's suggestion of Camellias is fine.
Clump forming Bamboos as Pam suggests, in the right setting (I would
prefer to see at least some dappled light on them) would look good and
be easy to maintain. Probably near the top of my list. I think Pam
mentioned that some bamboos run - and they *do* run. You don't want
those anywhere near your garden so do your homework before buying.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 4 Sep 2004 05:55:33 -0700, chunky_john wrote:

I want to plant a screen to hide my shed/utility area. However, both
are under a number of quite large trees, and hence are pretty shaded
for spring and summer. What could I plant to form a screen in such a
site?

I suggest a fence rather than a hedge. It needn't be anything too
splendiferous; lattice-work panels made of bamboo will do quite
nicely.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada