Old 04-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Phil L

Default chilli plants

Just a quick one:
I planted some chilli seeds from some dried chillis which I got from Spain
last year...I wasn't really expecting them to grow but they did...I planted
them because the chillis we get over here are not hot enough for me and
these have a nice flavour too, even dried...anyway, I planted 15 seeds and
12 of them grew, they shot up to about six inches and stopped, round about
July, since then they have grown about 3 inches and I have repotted them in
9 inch pots, two plants in each - they haven't flowered or anything but the
stems are quite woody and sturdy, which makes me think that they may last a
few years?
Does anyone know if they will survive the winter so that I may get some
fruit from them next summer or are they doomed to the compost heap? - they
have strong foilage and roots too.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Just a quick one:
I planted some chilli seeds from some dried chillis which I got from Spain
last year...I wasn't really expecting them to grow but they did...I planted
them because the chillis we get over here are not hot enough for me and
these have a nice flavour too, even dried...anyway, I planted 15 seeds and
12 of them grew, they shot up to about six inches and stopped, round about
July, since then they have grown about 3 inches and I have repotted them in
9 inch pots, two plants in each - they haven't flowered or anything but the
stems are quite woody and sturdy, which makes me think that they may last a
few years?

I have three jalapino plants which supply me with more than I need: one
each in a 7" pot, and fed with Tomorite.

Does anyone know if they will survive the winter so that I may get some
fruit from them next summer or are they doomed to the compost heap? - they
have strong foilage and roots too.

Since chillis are perenniels they will survive the winter as long as you
keep them warm enough. Mine live on the windowsill of my front room in
the winter, where they happily (though not rapidly) continue cropping.

Give them plenty of water and some fertiliser from time to time and they
should be fine.

When they begin getting a bit straggly, you can prune them, and they
will grow new scions from the stem, or any remaining nodes.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Phil L

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Phil L" contains these words:
::
[...]
I've got tomorite but have been giving 'em miracle gro!

::: Does anyone know if they will survive the winter so that I may
::: get some fruit from them next summer or are they doomed to the
::: compost heap? - they have strong foilage and roots too.
::
:: Since chillis are perenniels they will survive the winter as long
:: as you keep them warm enough. Mine live on the windowsill of my
:: front room in the winter, where they happily (though not rapidly)
:: continue cropping.
::
I haven't had a flower on them yet so I'm not expecting anything this year,
I'll bring them indoors in a few weeks time.

:: Give them plenty of water and some fertiliser from time to time
:: and they should be fine.
::
:: When they begin getting a bit straggly, you can prune them, and
:: they will grow new scions from the stem, or any remaining nodes.
::

Cheers Jaques!

Old 05-09-2004, 10:18 PM
roy davidson

I sowed some chilli seeds indoors last july, in november the chillies
started to turn red, it even looked festive during christmas tried to
convince christine not to bother with a christmas tree.The plant had no
chillies in feb but every other month.

roy

Old 06-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Mike Lyle

"Phil L" wrote in message ...
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Phil L" contains these words:
::
::: Just a quick one:
::: I planted some chilli seeds from some dried chillis which I got
::: from Spain last year...I wasn't really expecting them to grow but
::: they did...I planted them because the chillis we get over here
::: are not hot enough for me and these have a nice flavour too, even
::: dried...anyway, I planted 15 seeds and 12 of them grew, they shot
::: up to about six inches and stopped, round about July, since then
::: they have grown about 3 inches and I have repotted them in 9 inch
::: pots, two plants in each - they haven't flowered or anything but
::: the stems are quite woody and sturdy, which makes me think that
::: they may last a few years?

[...]
::
I haven't had a flower on them yet so I'm not expecting anything this year,
I'll bring them indoors in a few weeks time.

:: Give them plenty of water and some fertiliser from time to time
:: and they should be fine.
::
:: When they begin getting a bit straggly, you can prune them, and
:: they will grow new scions from the stem, or any remaining nodes.

But these ones haven't flowered. Unless I wanted to experiment, I'd
compost them, myself: you should expect a good crop in the first year
from sowing, and if they don't pay their wages in the first year, I
don't see the point of betting on them doing it in the second.

I very much doubt if you've got a variety which will crop outdoors in
British conditions. They might have done better on a sunny windowsill.
There's also the matter of strength of flavour: some chillies which
blow your head off when grown in a hot climate may produce much milder
offspring further north, even under glass. The number of varieties is
bewildering.

Ones that have fruited should certainly do so again the following
year; and, as Rusty says, you can cut them right down to a node and
they'll shoot up happily, especially if you repot them into fresh
mixture. But I haven't had such good crops the second year as the
first, so if you want a lot it's best to sow fresh every year
(February for me).

Mike.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Tim Challenger

On 6 Sep 2004 06:38:16 -0700, Mike Lyle wrote:

"Phil L" wrote in message ...
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

That's been my experience as well. If you keep them in the house during
winter, they'll tend to attract aphids and get sickly. They need a lot of
light and longer days. I normally loose around a third of the plants, so
I've given up and replant every year.

--
Tim C.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Drying them is easy, just pull them and put them in a paper bag in a cool
dry place - that's it.
You can then crush them into chilli pepper or use them whole, although they
do need a bit more time to cook and soak up the moisture, also they lose a
bit of flavour.
I've pickled them in the past but found that they had no chilli pepper
attributes after a few months in vinegar - you could eat them like sweets!

I just leave them on a teatowel in the sun, or in a warm dry place. My
local butcher has just given me half a box of squidgy tomatoes. These
are simmering in a big pan ATM, and will be sieved tonight.

Some of the result will be amagamated with chillies and mushrooms before
bottling. (Note! Not the Agaricus semotus I mentioned in another post,
as some people find them poisonous.)

Old 09-09-2004, 10:42 AM
newsb

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

My jalapinos have cropped better in the second year, strangely, and I am
going to have to dry a lot of them. Just about to have my head blown off

I've grown Hungarian Hot Wax this year - my first chillies. The plants
under glass have lots of large well formed chillies - and even those
outside have now got some fruit starting to get to a reasonable size.

However, the fruit is very un-chillie like - just a vague spicy hint
when you bite them. Are these likely to gain any intensity if left on
the plants? They are all a bright but pale green. Does anyone know if
this variety will colour up or stay green? A few of them have a sort of
browny colour coming near both ends - but nothing major. I'm guessing
that this is more likely an early sign of decay (That said, they have
got no worse over the last couple of weeks).

Any pointers gratefully received - even if its only to say don't grow
Hung Hot Wax in the UK if you want fire.

--
regards andyw
Old 09-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:42:28 +0100, newsb wrote:

However, the fruit is very un-chillie like - just a vague spicy hint
when you bite them. Are these likely to gain any intensity if left on
the plants? They are all a bright but pale green.

That's why they're only mild at the moment - they're not ripe yet.

Does anyone know if this variety will colour up or stay green?

They should become dark green and eventually red, but like Jalpenos, are
ripe when dark green.

A few of them have a sort of
browny colour coming near both ends - but nothing major. I'm guessing
that this is more likely an early sign of decay (That said, they have
got no worse over the last couple of weeks).

The brown colour - as long as the skin is still smooth - is often a sign of
too much direct sunlight - a sort of plant suntan. Don't worry about it
unless they really scorch (and then you'll get sunken patches).

If the skin is damages at these areas it could be because of irregular or
overwatering watering.

Ripe or not - don't let a frost get at them.

--
Tim C.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Kay

In article , newsb
writes

I've grown Hungarian Hot Wax this year - my first chillies. The plants
under glass have lots of large well formed chillies - and even those
outside have now got some fruit starting to get to a reasonable size.

However, the fruit is very un-chillie like - just a vague spicy hint
when you bite them. Are these likely to gain any intensity if left on
the plants?

Yes - chillis reputedly get hotter the longer they stay on the plant.

They are all a bright but pale green. Does anyone know if
this variety will colour up or stay green? A few of them have a sort of
browny colour coming near both ends - but nothing major. I'm guessing
that this is more likely an early sign of decay (That said, they have
got no worse over the last couple of weeks).

Peppers tend to look brown as they ripen - the red pigment seems to be
developed before the green disappears, so in between you get red+green =
brown.

--
Kay