GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange Insect! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83032-strange-insect.html)

MallowKat 04-09-2004 10:38 PM

Strange Insect!

I saw a really odd insect in the garden today, I can't seem to find an insect
NG so I thought I'd ask here - hope no one minds!

It's body was around 2 inches long and rather fat. Its wings were orange. Its
bottom was white with black spots (though could have been the other way around)
Its most distinctive feature was its mouth which resembled a humming birds! It
was using it to probe petunias, but soon gave up and flew off. It was in
S.England (Wilts).

Any ideas?

David Hill 04-09-2004 11:59 PM

Sounds like a hummingbird moth

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

MallowKat 05-09-2004 12:17 AM

Thankyou David - it was a hummingbird moth!

ned 05-09-2004 01:33 AM

MallowKat wrote:
I saw a really odd insect in the garden today, I can't seem to find
an insect NG so I thought I'd ask here - hope no one minds!

Not the most active NG on the web but there is
"uk.rec.natural-history" which could be worth a try.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 05.09.2004

newsb 09-09-2004 10:44 AM

In article , Malcolm
writes

Hummingbird Hawkmoth.

They are a migrant from France reaching the UK in very variable
numbers, sometimes only getting into southern England, other years well
into Scotland.

Yep - had a few of those this summer (mid Wilts) - including one in the
house. Quite impressive beasts:)

--
regards andyw