Old 05-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Amber Ormerod

Default dwarf french bean or broad bean?

I have some white flowered purple striped beans labled as dwarf french
(Tamila) but they seem to flat for french and when I opened them up they
just looked like they would grow to be broad beans. How do I tell the
difference and can I just pick non swelled pods and cook them as whole pods?

thanks

amber

Old 05-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Kay

In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
I have some white flowered purple striped beans labled as dwarf french
(Tamila) but they seem to flat for french and when I opened them up they
just looked like they would grow to be broad beans. How do I tell the
difference and can I just pick non swelled pods and cook them as whole pods?

Broad beans have fur inside the pods.

There are some very flat french beans.

--
Kay

Old 05-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
I have some white flowered purple striped beans labled as dwarf french
(Tamila) but they seem to flat for french and when I opened them up they
just looked like they would grow to be broad beans. How do I tell the
difference and can I just pick non swelled pods and cook them as whole

pods?

Broad beans have fur inside the pods.

There are some very flat french beans.

To add to my confusion I was just in the spar and they had those sliced
frozen beans that I thought was french beans but they called green beans.
The roundish pods with small oval beans inside cut slanty. Maybe I don't
even know what a french bean is?
I am sure these had fur, guess the french beans died.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:55 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Amber Ormerod
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
I have some white flowered purple striped beans labled as dwarf french
(Tamila) but they seem to flat for french and when I opened them up they
just looked like they would grow to be broad beans. How do I tell the
difference and can I just pick non swelled pods and cook them as whole

pods?

Broad beans have fur inside the pods.

There are some very flat french beans.

To add to my confusion I was just in the spar and they had those sliced
frozen beans that I thought was french beans but they called green beans.
The roundish pods with small oval beans inside cut slanty. Maybe I don't
even know what a french bean is?

ell they wouldn't want to confuse customers by anything to technical....

These probably are some sort of French Bean - the same way the
Greengrocer call them 'Bobby Beans ' for some reason.

What are the leaves like on the plant - BB leaves are smaller than FB
leaves the stems are also much sturdier. More to the point what do they
taste like - can't really be confused.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 06-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Steve Harris

Broad beans usually have grey-green foliage and grow to about 3-4 feet.
The stems are noticeably square and about 1/2 inch across. The pods get
to 1/2 or more across.

French beans have mid-green leaves and grow to about a foot (or climb to
5' plus). Pods rarely get above 1/2 inch across.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Old 06-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...

What are the leaves like on the plant - BB leaves are smaller than FB
leaves the stems are also much sturdier. More to the point what do they
taste like - can't really be confused.
--

I haven't tasted this cos I thought you had to cook them. They seem more
flat than I would expect.

I only have one type of bean growing (all of one type must have died off) so
how can I compare sizes?

amber

Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
David Hill

Amber asked...." I have some white flowered purple striped beans labled as
dwarf French (Tamila) but they seem to flat for French and when I opened
them up they just looked like they would grow to be broad beans. How do I
tell the difference and can I just pick non swelled pods and cook them as
whole pods?..."

I have never come across a broad bean with purple striped seed.
I would say that what you have is one of the Flat poded climbing French
beans, pick whilst still flat and slice as normal before cooling.
"Green beans" is just a term used to cover a range of beans used green and
sliced.
You will find many names for Runner beans, string beans , kidney beans etc
etc.

If you look at this link you will see a picture of broad beans, don't worry
about the flower colour, normally broad beans are white flowered.

http://www.allotments.btinternet.co.uk/pic6.htm

As for green grocer talking of Bobby beans, this is why

" French Bean Bobis"

Climbing French bean with black seeds. Plant 180-190cms tall, vigorous and
very productive. Green pod, with beans held in bunches (like grapes), pencil
pod, meaty, stringless and about 12cms long

Another interesting link is
http://www.seedsofitaly.sagenet.co.uk/mercurio.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Broad beans usually have grey-green foliage and grow to about 3-4 feet.
The stems are noticeably square and about 1/2 inch across. The pods get
to 1/2 or more across.

I am really thinking these might be broad beans cos of the fact that when
tiny tiny they look rounded but as soon as they are the size of even small
green/french beans they are flatter. The position of the beans in the pod
also make me think broad.

Are immature broad bean pods eatable like those flat beans you get also
called yard long beans?

French beans have mid-green leaves and grow to about a foot (or climb to
5' plus). Pods rarely get above 1/2 inch across.

The french beans I planted were dwarf. I planted broad beans and dwarf
french but only one type of plant is there now and they are at least 6 foot
tall.

I would be more helpful and take pictures but I don't know how to upload
them to our web site, housemate whose away does that.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Kay

In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

I am really thinking these might be broad beans cos of the fact that when
tiny tiny they look rounded but as soon as they are the size of even small
green/french beans they are flatter. The position of the beans in the pod
also make me think broad.

Broad beans don't change their proportions as they grow, they merely get
bumpier. They start by sticking upwards, and when ready for picking turn
downwards.

Are immature broad bean pods eatable like those flat beans you get also
called yard long beans?

French beans have mid-green leaves and grow to about a foot (or climb to
5' plus). Pods rarely get above 1/2 inch across.

The french beans I planted were dwarf. I planted broad beans and dwarf
french but only one type of plant is there now and they are at least 6 foot
tall.

I've never known a broad bean grow remotely near 6 ft.

the leaf colour and texture should clinch it - broad bean leaves are
smooth and greyish; french bean leaves are rough and green.

Also look at the stems - broad bean stems are self supporting, about
half an inch thick and square, and the same colour as the leaves. French
bean stems are thin and brownish.

--
Kay

Old 06-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Amber Ormerod

If you look at this link you will see a picture of broad beans, don't

worry
about the flower colour, normally broad beans are white flowered.

http://www.allotments.btinternet.co.uk/pic6.htm

seems more viney and climby than this one.

Old 06-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

[...]

They are definatly more viney thank the pictures I have seen of broad beans.
I just found this:
'Fench bean pods can be spotted and striped, mottled or plain - any colour
from waxy yellow through deep green to rich pansy purples. Borlotto and Rob
Splash are good examples of climbing Dragon's Toungue beans, with marvellous
flat pods stippled scarlet. They can be eaten as a green bean or allowed to
ripen, when the green of the pods become a beautiful amber gold while the
red intensifies in colour - the French call this stage of beans demi-sec -
when they can be eaten at once or frozen. These beans are also a popular
ingredient in West Indian cooking. Other spectacular climbing beans include
the mauve flowered Viola di Cornetti which has purple pods (they turn green
when cooked) and the yellow flat-podded climber Marvel of Venice which is
somewhat tender. ' which is making me think it might be the french bean.
Funny to have all one plant fail and the others be ok.

Old 06-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Steve Harris

You appear to be posting from the University of Berlin in the eastern
part of Germany. It's possible that what you have is a bean that us UK
gardeners don't recognise.

I suggest asking in de.rec.garten or fido.ger.garten

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 06-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
You appear to be posting from the University of Berlin in the eastern
part of Germany. It's possible that what you have is a bean that us UK
gardeners don't recognise.

I am in Hampshire UK. I use this server cos BT is pants.

BTW I found some good pictures at
http://worthgardens.homestead.com/2002_Hort.html which shows french beans as
being round as well as flat. The beans I got were from the HDRA and I think
this picture is making me think it was the french beans that made it.

Thanks for the help!

amber

Helios dwarf French bean Christina Websell United Kingdom 0 25-08-2013 09:47 PM
height of dwarf runner and dwarf French beans bajmoe United Kingdom 1 03-06-2008 11:59 PM
Dwarf French Beans ajr United Kingdom 7 01-03-2007 10:10 PM
Dwarf french beans, easy? [email protected] United Kingdom 8 02-07-2004 09:10 AM
French Dwarf beans in a pot DP United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 10:45 AM