Old 05-09-2004, 10:57 PM
nicola evans

Default planting a new hedge

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

I was thinking of hornbeam or beech as a base with wild roses and
lilac.

I am not sure of the soil in our area. I live in Finchley, North
London. The soil appears to be clay based and quite clumpy. A lot of
the neighbours have privet hedges which do well.

The hedge will be about 30 feet from the house. The house had a
subsidence problem and has been underpinned recently so deep roots
would not be suitable.

Many thanks

Nicola Evans
Old 06-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Kate Morgan

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.

I agree with that, I planted a Fuchsia ricartonii hedge and it is
absolutely beautiful.

kate
Old 06-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.

I agree with that, I planted a Fuchsia ricartonii hedge and it is
absolutely beautiful.

is its a good hedging for wildlife? I am trying to double the depth of my
hedge and convert it to a wildlife friendly hedge.