Old 07-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:23:17 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

I'm intrigued now. Why is this one handed chainsaw so much more

dangerous
than an ordinary one?

Dunno really, except if you're waving the thing about with one hand
it's perhaps more likely that various bits of your anatomy could

get
in the way. Also with one hand you don't have the same degree of
control if for example you catch something with the tip of the

guide
bar causing it to kick back.

Quite. And the various bits don't just include minor and optional
ones, but whole legs. How long is you have to reach the operating
table after severing a femoral artery? 5 minutes or thereabouts,
isn't it?

Actually, there are other issues. Using any power tool

single-handed
is a LOT more tiring than using it double-handed, because you have

hold it harder (think leverage). And the vibration of a power tool
held hard can cause you to weaken and lose your grip - often with
little warning. I gave up using a hedge trimmer after that happened
once too often.

None of us here is trained to use them but from time to time we

work
with contractors who are using them. They only use them up trees,

they
are not supposed to use them on the ground. Quite apart from the
competence angle, the physical demands are significant, you should

see
the muscles on the arms of these guys.

Which reminds me of the FAQ: I am not strong enough to use a bowsaw
any longer; what type of chainsaw should I buy?

I have an electric reciprocating saw with a whole range of blades with
varying tooth size. It is dead easy to use, and is little, if any,
more dangerous than a handsaw. It handles branches up to 2" diameter
quite comfortably.

Franz

Old 07-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Anthony

http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk STIGA SPR 350
http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product STIHL MS 200

Top handled chainsaws, will not be sold to anyone without proper training
and evidence of such.
That doesn't stop you from buying one at a dispersal sale.....he he

Anthony

"Nigel M" wrote in message
Some men just came to trim a tree below an overhead power cable. They
had what looked like an electric carving knife, a one handed chainsaw.

Apparently these are not available to the general public. I have no
desire to end up "one handed", but it looks much safer than trying to
use a standard chainsaw for the same task.

Does anyone know where they can be bought?

--
Nigel Mercier

Old 08-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Rod

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:57:08 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

I used to have a small, light chain saw. The chain had a habit of
coming off in use. When the damn thing came flying past my ear and
nicked a piece off it, I decided that it was perhaps not a good thing
to go on using it, so I threw it away.

That isn't really an issue with modern saws. They all have chain
catchers - and they work, no excitement any more when the chain comes
off. It rarely happens anyway if the chain is correctly tensioned.
Still worth keeping all parts of yourself clear of the back of the saw
while using it.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:52 PM
shazzbat

"Anthony" wrote in message
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk STIGA SPR 350
http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product STIHL MS

200

Top handled chainsaws, will not be sold to anyone without proper training
and evidence of such.
That doesn't stop you from buying one at a dispersal sale.....he he

There is a lot of crap talked about not only chainsaws, but also other
dangerous machinery. Training is desirable, but who trained the first person
to use one? Who trains the first person to use a new model/type? Who trains
the trainers? I hired a chainsaw a few years ago, and was asked "do you know
how to use one?" and that was it.

Suppliers will sell you anything, they may say " make sure you get some
training" or they may say "is the person who's going to use it trained?" And
of course you will reply "yes", and then he'll sell you the saw. After all,
he's in the business of selling machinery, he's not going to turn you away.

Just be careful, read the manual, use commonsense and the recommended
protective clothing, and you'll be OK.

And if the worst comes to the worst, remember, you've got to die of
something. ;-))

Steve

Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 PM
RichardS

"Nigel M" wrote in message
Some men just came to trim a tree below an overhead power cable. They
had what looked like an electric carving knife, a one handed chainsaw.

Apparently these are not available to the general public. I have no
desire to end up "one handed", but it looks much safer than trying to
use a standard chainsaw for the same task.

Does anyone know where they can be bought?

These kind of things?

http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...s-0000745.aspx

Note the requirement for production of a certificate at the top of the page,
though. This requirement doesn't appear on any other of their chainsaw
pages.....

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 09-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Rod

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:52:14 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

There is a lot of crap talked about not only chainsaws, but also other
dangerous machinery. Training is desirable, but who trained the first person
to use one? Who trains the first person to use a new model/type? Who trains
the trainers? I hired a chainsaw a few years ago, and was asked "do you know
how to use one?" and that was it.

Suppliers will sell you anything, they may say " make sure you get some
training" or they may say "is the person who's going to use it trained?" And
of course you will reply "yes", and then he'll sell you the saw. After all,
he's in the business of selling machinery, he's not going to turn you away.

Just be careful, read the manual, use commonsense and the recommended
protective clothing, and you'll be OK.

I agree with a lot of that, you're obviously intelligent and fairly
machine/risk savvy - you taught yourself. Same here, same for my mate
Phil who works with me. Same for many others.

*But* what do you do with the rest - they need to use these things but
they aren't safe out without their mothers. You have to get 'em
trained for your own and everbody elses safety as well as theirs.

As for the dealers, you're probably at least partly right - our local
dealers who know us very well don't ask for our NPTC certificates but
I don't know what they'd do about a stranger walking into their
showroom. Should be seeing their rep next week, I'll try and remember
to ask him.

'Who trains the trainers?' Good question. Neither myself or Phil are
qualified trainers or assessors but I don't know anyone who could
teach or assess us adequately on say for example Compact Tractors,
we'd have to train 'em ourselves first.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:

*But* what do you do with the rest - they need to use these things but
they aren't safe out without their mothers. You have to get 'em
trained for your own and everbody elses safety as well as theirs.

Where DID you get the idea that their mothers are any better?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.