Old 09-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Des Higgins

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:

House plant query about Avocado plants as house plants:
I have 2 big ones and one small one. They germinated in the compost

heap
from discarded stones, which turns out to be a handy way to get them
started, even if it was by accident with us. The big ones are now 2

years
old and 2.5 metres tall. Right now, they look great indoors but my
question is, is it practical to keep them any longer as house plants?

If
they stayed about this size and just went a big woddy, they would be

fine
but will they just keep growing OR go pot bound and straggly if we try

keep them? Has anyone here ever kept them any longer than a few years?

My parents-in-law have one in their conservatory that's
about fifteen to twenty years old. Apparently it was
planted by brother-in-law from a seed when he was a child,
and his sister did some bonsai thing to the roots to stop it
getting too big. Nevertheless, it fills half the
conservatory, and is ALWAYS thirsty (well they are
rainforest plant, aren't they?). It always looks ill, but
has never managed to do anything definite about dying.

So it can be done, but might not be terribly worthwhile,
other than to say "I've got an avocado plant!"

Ok that is kind of what I expected.
Ta for that!

Des

Rhiannon

--

http://sciethics.blogspot.com/ -- the rights and wrongs of
science.

Old 13-09-2004, 11:21 AM
D Russell

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:
| House plant query about Avocado plants as house plants:
| I have 2 big ones and one small one. They germinated in the compost

heap
| from discarded stones, which turns out to be a handy way to get them
| started, even if it was by accident with us. The big ones are now 2

years
| old and 2.5 metres tall. Right now, they look great indoors but my
| question is, is it practical to keep them any longer as house plants?

If
| they stayed about this size and just went a big woddy, they would be

fine
| but will they just keep growing OR go pot bound and straggly if we try

| keep them? Has anyone here ever kept them any longer than a few

years?

Keep growing. You can prune back, but they are BIG trees.

Try a pomegranate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have an avocado plant about 4 years old and about 18" high, kept in a
smallish pot in the greenhouse and just pinch out the growing tip when it's
the height you want it, stays nicely under control. I've also got several
lemon trees on the go, three between 18" and 24" high, and 6 about 6" high.
They are very easy to start off, but tend to be very very picky about
draughts. It's odd lots of books talk endlessly about light and watering and
fertilisers etc but the biggest single problem in my experience has been
draughts, if they get in a draught they just start dropping their leaves.
Duncan

Old 13-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "D Russell" contains these words:

I have an avocado plant about 4 years old and about 18" high, kept in a
smallish pot in the greenhouse and just pinch out the growing tip when it's
the height you want it, stays nicely under control. I've also got several
lemon trees on the go, three between 18" and 24" high, and 6 about 6" high.
They are very easy to start off, but tend to be very very picky about
draughts. It's odd lots of books talk endlessly about light and watering and
fertilisers etc but the biggest single problem in my experience has been
draughts, if they get in a draught they just start dropping their leaves.

My lemon trees (about 18 months ATM) stand outside, and even with gales
blowing them about, and over, their leaves have remained firmly
attached.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 57 27-04-2004 03:03 PM
Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 03:41 AM
Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin. Peter Nolan United Kingdom 15 21-12-2003 11:32 AM
Avocados rapdor Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocados in black soil (clay) SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM