Old 06-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Cat

Default moving plants

3 months ago, I planted a pyracantha, a hypericum, a pieris "forest flame"
and another wee thing with small yellow flowers (note the science bit here),
and two small tender fuschias in a small-ish bed (3 m x 3 m) which is
primarily used as a herb garden and is located on my patio. All plants are
thriving, but the herbs really need the whole of the bed, so I am thinking
of moving the non-herbs to a bed where they would have room to fully expand
in due course.
When is the right time to do this?
Also, should I pot the fuschias and keep them indoors? (I am in the Eastern
part of the Midlands of Ireland)
TIA!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 06-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cat" writes:
| 3 months ago, I planted a pyracantha, a hypericum, a pieris "forest flame"
| and another wee thing with small yellow flowers (note the science bit here),
| and two small tender fuschias in a small-ish bed (3 m x 3 m) which is
| primarily used as a herb garden and is located on my patio. All plants are
| thriving, but the herbs really need the whole of the bed, so I am thinking
| of moving the non-herbs to a bed where they would have room to fully expand
| in due course.

After they have died down for the winter (the Pieris won't). Watch
out for the pyracantha - tiger cubs may look awfully cuddly, but
they get a little unmanageable if not trained ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Cat

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Cat" writes:
| 3 months ago, I planted a pyracantha, a hypericum, a pieris "forest

flame"
| and another wee thing with small yellow flowers (note the science bit

here),
| and two small tender fuschias in a small-ish bed (3 m x 3 m) which is
| primarily used as a herb garden and is located on my patio. All plants

are
| thriving, but the herbs really need the whole of the bed, so I am

thinking
| of moving the non-herbs to a bed where they would have room to fully

expand
| in due course.

After they have died down for the winter (the Pieris won't).

Does that mean I still need to wait for Pieris, or should I move it now? Or
at some other stage altogether?

Watch
out for the pyracantha - tiger cubs may look awfully cuddly, but
they get a little unmanageable if not trained ....

This one is only about 2 foot tall, and quite skinny with only one stem as
yet, so the claws are still manageable :-)

Thanks!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Spider

Cat wrote in message
[...]

Hi Cath,

You certainly need to pot up the tender fuchsias and over-winter them in a
frost-free place. Keep them on the dry side - just enough water to keep
them ticking over.
You can move the shrubs any time between now and March. However, don't
attempt it in really frosty conditions. Take as big a root ball as you can
manage (they won't be really established yet, anyway); once re-planted (with
a little bonemeal), keep up with the watering.

The pieris, as you probably know, prefers an acid soil. The pyracantha is
very tolerant, but also enjoys an acid feed from time to time. However, you
should not start feeding again until spring. The bonemeal (added at
planting time) promotes root growth, so that's okay.

I've no idea what your mystery yellow-flowering shrub is, so please read
this as a 'not guilty' caveat, just in case something goes wrong!

Good luck,
Spider

Old 15-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Cat

[...]