Old 07-09-2004, 10:50 AM
dirt dibbler

Default moth orchid, phalaenopsis

I have a few orchids with flowering spikes, but what i thought was an
off-shoot near the top of one of the spikes, has turned out to have a couple
of small leaves.
This is the first time i have had this happen, is this small crown something
that can be removed at some stage to give a second plant, or do they just
have high leaves occasionally?

DD

Old 07-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"dirt dibbler" wrote
I have a few orchids with flowering spikes, but what i thought was an
off-shoot near the top of one of the spikes, has turned out to have a

couple
of small leaves.
This is the first time i have had this happen, is this small crown

something
that can be removed at some stage to give a second plant, or do they just
have high leaves occasionally?

Phalaenopsis do occasionally produce new plantlets instead of more flowers
on an old flower spike, they have a name, Keikis.
It will gradually grow into another plant, roots and all. As soon as it's
big enough you can separate it and grown it on in it's own pot or on it's
own piece of mossy bark, which ever method you use.
It's another reason never to cut off a Phal flower spike until it turns
brown and is obviously dead.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 07-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Dave Poole

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:50:37 +0100, "dirt dibbler" wrote:

I have a few orchids with flowering spikes, but what i thought was an
off-shoot near the top of one of the spikes, has turned out to have a couple
of small leaves.
This is the first time i have had this happen, is this small crown something
that can be removed at some stage to give a second plant, or do they just
have high leaves occasionally?

The production of adventitious growths on flower spikes of
Phalaenopsis is a relatively common event, but not all hybrids or
species will do this. Over a period of months, yours will develop
into a small plant and should produce several aerial roots. At that
stage, you can remove it and pot it up. Flowering can commence in as
little as 12 months. I've seen plants that have been left to their
own devices where the parent has masses of offsets that had themselves
flowered and produced new offsets. It is an easy and reliable way of
increasing your plants.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 08-09-2004, 09:53 AM
dirt dibbler

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Bob & Dave, sounds like i'm getting a plant for free.

DD

Old 10-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Magwitch

Dave Poole muttered:

The production of adventitious growths on flower spikes of
Phalaenopsis is a relatively common event, but not all hybrids or
species will do this. Over a period of months, yours will develop
into a small plant and should produce several aerial roots. At that
stage, you can remove it and pot it up. Flowering can commence in as
little as 12 months. I've seen plants that have been left to their
own devices where the parent has masses of offsets that had themselves
flowered and produced new offsets. It is an easy and reliable way of
increasing your plants.

I've been putting my Cymbidium orchid out nearly every night to encourage
re-flowering as I was told a nightly drop in temperature of 10 degrees makes
it flower. I've noticed that some of the older growth has been cut back at
the base, should I do the same with the older leaves or leave well alone?

Elephant Hawk-Moth (caterpillar-nymph-moth) Willi Garden Photos 12 30-11-2011 10:44 PM
Moth Orchid, Phalaenopsis gardening guru Garden Photos 0 07-02-2008 07:47 PM
Hawk Moth - hawk moth.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 13-06-2007 03:00 PM
Moth Orchid Karen Gardening 9 10-03-2005 04:35 PM
Moth orchid problem? Paul United Kingdom 2 05-09-2003 04:22 PM