Old 07-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Rachel Nex

Default Sort ot OT - Riverford vegboxes

Any experiences ? A google search turns up info that they are of good
quality and good value. I'm wondering about quantities.

Don't have a big garden (understatement) so I can't grow spuds for
example cos I wouldn't have room to dig them (though I am considering
one of those spud barrel things), but I have got toms and peppers and
straws atm, which si about the most I can fit in without laying waste to
the lawn (and that would be unfair on my dogs so it's a non starter). So
it's no good you guys telling me to grow all my own, just in case you
were wondering. :-) Can't do an allotment either.

I eat lots of veg and so does the boyfriend - and I mean lots. I love
potatoes with a passion, for example. Riverfords small box says it
supports 2-3 people - but nowhere on the wbesite or leaflet can I find a
picture of the amounts that go into a typical small (or any other size) box.

Also - what time of day do they typically deliver and what happens if
you are out as it is COD (or cheque in advance) if anyone knows ?

Experiences to share ? I am in Kent, fwiw. TIA

Rachael
Old 07-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Sacha

On 7/9/04 12:07, in article
, "Rachel Nex"
wrote:

[...]

We live fifteen minutes from Riverford and I'll be going there tomorrow, so
will ask any questions you think of. But did you find this page? It shows
the box sizes and type of contents. http://www.riverford.co.uk/en/
Naturally, it's seasonal so you get whatever is available that week.
I think Kent *might* be pushing it a bit but I'm not sure. However, they
could certainly put you in touch with someone in your area.
We use the farm shop and find it pretty good veg wise in terms of quality.
But friends who have the boxes delivered have told us that they find the
produce in those even better than what is available at the farm.
The order form I found and filled out as an experiment says that it's COD
but that once you have 'established your delivery order', you can pay in
advance for 4 weeks' boxes. Our delivery day, for example, would be a
Tuesday, so that would mean that for the first delivery at least, you'd have
to be there. After that, it looks as if you could instruct them as to where
to leave the box.
If the page source I've given above doesn't answer your queries, then email
me with any further queries and I'll see what I can find out.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Rachel Nex

Sacha wrote:

On 7/9/04 12:07, in article
, "Rachel Nex"
wrote:

[...]

Yus, I been to it but they don't actually say how big the bags of spuds
are on average or how many carrots is in the bag you get. Or if the
small box really *does* feed two veg hungry adults. etc. I was more
looking for personal experience of such, iyswim.

Naturally, it's seasonal so you get whatever is available that week.
I think Kent *might* be pushing it a bit but I'm not sure.

Well, they put a leaflet through me door this morning so I guess they
must do ! That or I have a random leaflet fairy. ;-)

However, they
could certainly put you in touch with someone in your area.
We use the farm shop and find it pretty good veg wise in terms of quality.
But friends who have the boxes delivered have told us that they find the
produce in those even better than what is available at the farm.

Heh ! ;-)

The order form I found and filled out as an experiment says that it's COD
but that once you have 'established your delivery order', you can pay in
advance for 4 weeks' boxes. Our delivery day, for example, would be a
Tuesday, so that would mean that for the first delivery at least, you'd have
to be there. After that, it looks as if you could instruct them as to where
to leave the box.

Ah-ha, nice idea.

If the page source I've given above doesn't answer your queries, then email
me with any further queries and I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks for that Sacha - as I say, it's more personal experience of
quantites I was wondering about. I should just do it really and have
doen with it I guess - I can always order a bigger one if I need to.

Rachael
Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Sacha

On 7/9/04 18:57, in article
, "Rachel Nex"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 7/9/04 12:07, in article
, "Rachel Nex"
wrote:

[...]

Riverford is part of a co-operative and that may have something to do with
it. When I filled in the form as a trial, I put in our post code and as I
say, we're 15 minutes from them. The answer came back that our nearest
supplier is from North Devon! This makes no sense at all to me.
snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Mike Lyle

Rachel Nex wrote in message ...
Any experiences ? A google search turns up info that they are of good
quality and good value. I'm wondering about quantities.

[...]
Experiences to share ? I am in Kent, fwiw. TIA

I'll email my sister, who's in Kent and gets orgasnic boxes from
somebody, and let you know what she says.

Mike.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Judith Atkinson

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:57:19 +0100, Rachel Nex wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 7/9/04 12:07, in article
, "Rachel Nex"
wrote:

[...]

If it's any help I have tried various combinations for myself, I live
on my own. I started with the mini box + a bag of fruit. I found
this was fine except for the potatoes which were more than I eat, but
then I don't eat many potatoes. I then tried a fruit and veg box
which was better as there were no potatoes. I only have a box every
other week. I found this worked well in the winter but stopped having
Riverford boxes in the summer as I found the stuff went off before I
could eat it all. Winter veg last longer. The quality was very good
and I will start again in the winter. In this area, East Devon, you
can either have the box delivered which costs more or collect it from
a pickup point which in our case is a local greengrocer which is what
I do, this is more convenient if you are out a lot.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Rachel Nex

Judith Atkinson wrote:
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:57:19 +0100, Rachel Nex wrote:

If it's any help I have tried various combinations for myself, I live
on my own. I started with the mini box + a bag of fruit. I found
this was fine except for the potatoes which were more than I eat, but
then I don't eat many potatoes. I then tried a fruit and veg box
which was better as there were no potatoes. I only have a box every
other week. I found this worked well in the winter but stopped having
Riverford boxes in the summer as I found the stuff went off before I
could eat it all. Winter veg last longer. The quality was very good
and I will start again in the winter. In this area, East Devon, you
can either have the box delivered which costs more or collect it from
a pickup point which in our case is a local greengrocer which is what
I do, this is more convenient if you are out a lot.

Thanks for that - I was wondering about eating all of it in time but bf
is a gannet and I have two gannet-y dogs too so I doubt it will be much
of an issue ;-). I notice that the website says they will start
delivering in October to where I live. It sounds like a go-er for me.

Thanks to all who replied.

Rachael
Old 10-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Mike Lyle

Rachel Nex wrote in message ...
Judith Atkinson wrote:
[...]

One latecomer: I asked my sister as promised, and she replied:

We used to collect our box from the farm - they delivered but charged
extra and we enjoyed the trip out! A medium one suited us fine when G
was a baby and ate what was put in front of her, but when she got
selective we were buying lots of things like broccoli which there was
never enough of. We also always had to buy extra potatoes because
there were never enough baking sized ones for us. We liked the salad
but lots of people didn't because it was a wierd mixture - sometimes
we suspected them of grabbing some handfuls of weeds from the verge to
top up the bags! I think they're fine so long as you're prepared to
eat what you're given. If you don't there's a lot of wastage. And in
my - and others-experience you have to like chard!! We also got a
few boxes from Simply Organics - they were wonderful quality and
included fruit but were very expensive and I was bothered by the
number of food miles involved. Why doesn't your friend give it a try.
Most of the schemes let you have a trial box, even the direct debit
sign up for a year ones like Perry Court. I can dig out the number of
the place near Canterbury if it would help. Or there's one we're just
about to try near us at Luddenham.

Mike.
Old 13-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Rachel Nex wrote in message

Thanks for that - I was wondering about eating all of it in time but bf
is a gannet and I have two gannet-y dogs too so I doubt it will be much
of an issue ;-). I notice that the website says they will start
delivering in October to where I live. It sounds like a go-er for me.

Thanks to all who replied.

One latecomer: I asked my sister as promised, and she replied:

We used to collect our box from the farm - they delivered but charged
extra and we enjoyed the trip out! A medium one suited us fine when G
was a baby and ate what was put in front of her, but when she got
selective we were buying lots of things like broccoli which there was
never enough of.

Kiddie who likes broccoli ? Result ! (Can't stand the stuff meself but any
child who will eat veg is a wonderous species to me - my bf's three sprogs
are McDonalds and similar rubbish only addicts, thanks to their mum [and dad
if truth be told] who feed them it by the score. :-( Thank goodness I don't
have them over for dinner - they'd hate me !)

We also always had to buy extra potatoes because
there were never enough baking sized ones for us.

I can see this could be a problem for most people but I am one of those odd
bods who like small potatoes baked in groups instead of one or two bigger
ones. Possibly cos I like the crispy skin and if you have little spuds you
get more skin to flesh ratio. :-) And of course they cook quicker !

We liked the salad
but lots of people didn't because it was a wierd mixture - sometimes
we suspected them of grabbing some handfuls of weeds from the verge to
top up the bags! I think they're fine so long as you're prepared to
eat what you're given. If you don't there's a lot of wastage. And in
my - and others-experience you have to like chard!!

I did wonder about this too - never had chard. WTH is it ? Like spinach or
what ?

We also got a
few boxes from Simply Organics - they were wonderful quality and
included fruit but were very expensive and I was bothered by the
number of food miles involved. Why doesn't your friend give it a try.
Most of the schemes let you have a trial box, even the direct debit
sign up for a year ones like Perry Court. I can dig out the number of
the place near Canterbury if it would help. Or there's one we're just
about to try near us at Luddenham.

From the wbesite I see Riverford start delivering round my way in October,
so I am eagerly awating giving it a try then. I anticipate fresh veggies for
veggie stew in the winter months. Salivate !

Thanks for the late(r) tips, Mike.

Rachael