Old 09-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Kay wrote:
:::
:: I don't buy that one! Someone tells me that if I want to enter a
:: show, I am going to have an ink stamp, which I don't want, on my
:: hand. And then I have to worry for the next several hours about
:: keeping my hand away from my clothing?
::
Not at all, if you don't want an ink stamp on your hand,
then you are
perfectly able to walk away without one,

But if I have, against my desire, accepted one as a condition of
entering (or re-entering) the show, I think I am reasonably entitled to
expect that it won't cause permanent damage to my clothing, and that I
should not need to take deliberate action to avoid damage.

it *was* *not* forced on him

Though it is not apparent that he could have got into (or back into) the
show without it, so it was not entirely voluntary.

- he
accepted it and then *he* got the ink onto his own shirt.

Well, that is not clear, is it? What he is saying was that the ink
transferred to his shirt. If it was through no deliberate action of his
own, I don't think you can say 'he got the ink onto his own shirt'.

:: If someone is going to insist I have my hand stamped, I reckon
:: they also have a duty to make sure a) that it is washable and I
:: don't have to wear the mark for days to come b) that it isn't
:: going to cause permanent damage to anything it comes in contact
:: with, such as clothing.

Or you could choose not to have the stamp in the first place?
- If you did *choose* to have the ink stamped onto your hand, you have then
accepted responsibility for that ink

But I haven't accepted responsibility for its damaging my clothing
unless I am aware that it is liable to rub off on to clothing and leave
a mark. And I think it is quite reasonable to expect that ink used for
this purpose should *not* rub off and leave a mark.

...how far can this idiotic compensation
culture go?

I'm entirely with you on the general principle. But I think this case is
different.

--
Kay

Old 10-09-2004, 09:20 AM
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

A lot that I agree with.

I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.

LIDL sold shirts the week before last for £4.99 each. Well, you did ask!

Old 10-09-2004, 09:25 AM
David Hill

It looks as if this has turned into almost a private -very off topic- debate
which shouldn't be on this group.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-09-2004, 09:26 AM
BAC

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

How strange, I have personal experience of being awarded
costs/expenses following a small claims court case which I 'won'. The
judge asked me if I wished to claim any, it wasn't my idea. I know
small claims court cases are not normally covered by the local press,
but they can still publish the outcome if it is brought to their
attention by a successful party wishing to twist the knife, and if
the story strikes them as interesting.

As for doing some research myself, that is exactly what I was doing,
researching what you meant by your 'improbable' remark, from the only
source able to shed light on it, i.e. you.

Take a look here for a detailed explanation of when costs may be allowed.
Note the this is discretionary not mandatory in many cases. The site also
gives a very useful explanation about small claims.

Did I say it was mandatory? No, I didn't, I said it was one of the things to
be taken into account in deciding whether or not to settle the case,
balanced against the cost of giving the guy some 'bugger off' money.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 AM
BAC

Phil L wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
Take a look here for a detailed explanation of when costs may be
allowed.

Where?

Mea culpa! Apologies. Here is the link.

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/freeinfo...laims/smc.html

And very interesting too, thanks.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
| fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
| If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
| buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.
|
| LIDL sold shirts the week before last for £4.99 each. Well, you did ask!

(a) What's LIDL?

(b) DECENT shirts? Or pink plastic things? See my previous
qualifications.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:02 AM
BAC

"BAC" writes:

| I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
| fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
| If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
| buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.
|
| LIDL sold shirts the week before last for £4.99 each. Well, you did

ask!

(a) What's LIDL?

It's a retail chain. Very cheap. Probably illegal in Cambridge.

(b) DECENT shirts? Or pink plastic things? See my previous
qualifications.

No plastic, 100% cotton, denim type things, great for gardening (I imagine).

Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| (a) What's LIDL?
|
| It's a retail chain. Very cheap. Probably illegal in Cambridge.

Probably - it's getting harder and harder to buy anything useful
here.

| (b) DECENT shirts? Or pink plastic things? See my previous
| qualifications.
|
| No plastic, 100% cotton, denim type things, great for gardening (I imagine).

Ah. Thanks. I am visiting in October, and will take a look if I
bump into a LIDL.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Phil L

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
:: The message
:: from Kay contains these words:
::
::
::: But if I have, against my desire, accepted one as a condition of
::: entering (or re-entering) the show, I think I am reasonably
::: entitled to expect that it won't cause permanent damage to my
::: clothing, and that I should not need to take deliberate action to
::: avoid damage.
::
:: But flower shows are full of deadly risks, Kay. Sensible people
:: are constantly on their guard. At any moment,one could sustain a
:: nasty paper cut from the show programme, get stung by a
:: gatecrashing bee, trip over those dangerous rope guys on the
:: flower tent, scald oneself with tea or choke on a crumb from a
:: scone. I don't expect the organisers to provide gloves, epipens, a
:: guide dog or a tracheotomy set; it's my responsibility to stay
:: alert, take sensible precautions and get out of that hellhole
:: alive.
::
:: If people won't take deliberate action to avoid damage to
:: themselves,the govt really needs to consider banning flower shows
:: altogether.

This is the point I was trying to make...I can't see it any different than
ordering a rum and blackcurrant in a pub then attempting to blame the pub
boss because you've got a stain from it....if this goes ahead, every pasta
restuarant in the country will close down!

Old 10-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Peter Crosland

Did I say it was mandatory? No, I didn't, I said it was one of the
things to be taken into account in deciding whether or not to settle
the case, balanced against the cost of giving the guy some 'bugger
off' money.

No I was simply pointing out the fact without comment. BTW I still can't
believe that anyone would be stupid enough to litigate such a trivial
matter. Just the compensation culture gone even more crazy than usual.

Old 11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
BAC

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Did I say it was mandatory? No, I didn't, I said it was one of the
things to be taken into account in deciding whether or not to settle
the case, balanced against the cost of giving the guy some 'bugger
off' money.

No I was simply pointing out the fact without comment. BTW I still can't
believe that anyone would be stupid enough to litigate such a trivial
matter. Just the compensation culture gone even more crazy than usual.

I agree it would seem stupid for someone to sue over an alleged ink stain on
a shirt. However, the world is full of people who react emotionally to a
situation, rather than logically. There are people who, if they feel
slighted or, worse, that the dispute has become a 'matter of principle',
will be prepared to pursue things as far and as hard as they can, almost
regardless of the costs/benefits involved.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has encountered such folk :-)