Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 AM
jane

On 10 Sep 2004 19:25:08 GMT, in uk.rec.gardening you wrote:

~In article ,
~Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
~
~ Rowan berries also make a good herb jelly, delicious with cold meat or
~sharp cheese.
~
~Ah! I am pretty certain that tells me things about your DNA ....
~
~Some 60% of the UK population can't tell bitter from sour (or
~possibly distinguish them very weakly). Rowan berries are as
~bitter as hell (quinine-like) and almost all of us who can
~distinguish will find the jelly inedible. I made some, and it
~went in the bin.

I have trouble with bitter/sour. I tried to make lime pickle the other
week and it was inedible. I tried more sugar which didn't seem to help
and eventually added some salt to a sample too and that didn't help
much either. Eventually binned it. Yet for some weird reason I like
tonic water...

~Note that, if you can counteract bitterness with sugar, you are
~one of the 60%. The 40% can PARTIALLY counteract it with salt.
~Grapefruit is sweet, bitter and slightly sour. Lemon juice is
~not bitter at all, but the peel is. Orange juice is slightly
~bitter.
~
~Now, it is POSSIBLE that I picked them too early (it is common
~for both bitterness and sourness to drop as fruit ripens), but I
~don't think so.

Fascinating facts and figures :-) I think I shall stick for now to
trying to preserve my apples and blackberries in interesting ways.
I've got way too many for freezing!

If anyone tries herb jelly making, whatever you do, keep stirring the
apple mush. It's a pig to get off a pan if it burns!

Right, off to the allotment now before the rain moves in later
today...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 11-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "Nick Maclaren" napisał w wiadomości
| In article ,
| Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
|
| Rowan berries also make a good herb jelly, delicious with cold meat or
| sharp cheese.
|
| Rowan berries are as
| bitter as hell (quinine-like) and almost all of us who can
| distinguish will find the jelly inedible. I made some, and it
| went in the bin.
| |
| Now, it is POSSIBLE that I picked them too early (it is common
| for both bitterness and sourness to drop as fruit ripens), but I
| don't think so.

If I remember rightly, the fruit must be frozen or dried before it becomes
edible to us humans:-)

Regards, B.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Kay

In article , jane jane@moonrose.
demonmapson.co.uk writes
Fascinating facts and figures :-) I think I shall stick for now to
trying to preserve my apples and blackberries in interesting ways.
I've got way too many for freezing!

If you can get hold of a fruit press, freeze a bag of apples (whole)
overnight, thaw them - so they are now mushy - and put them through the
fruit press. Apple juice is more compact than apples, and you can drink
a great quantity.
--
Kay

Old 11-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Kay

In article , Basia Kulesz
writes

Użytkownik "Nick Maclaren" napisał w wiadomości
| In article ,
| Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
|
| Rowan berries also make a good herb jelly, delicious with cold meat or
| sharp cheese.
|
| Rowan berries are as
| bitter as hell (quinine-like) and almost all of us who can
| distinguish will find the jelly inedible. I made some, and it
| went in the bin.
| |
| Now, it is POSSIBLE that I picked them too early (it is common
| for both bitterness and sourness to drop as fruit ripens), but I
| don't think so.

If I remember rightly, the fruit must be frozen or dried before it becomes
edible to us humans:-)

That seems strange. Rowan berries aren't poisonous, and making rowan
jelly involves boiling, but not freezing or drying.

I found it like a rather strong marmalade - OK, but I prefer crab or
medlar which are much milder.
--
Kay

Old 11-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "Kay" napisał w wiadomości
| In article , Basia Kulesz
| writes

| If I remember rightly, the fruit must be frozen or dried before it
becomes
| edible to us humans:-)
|
| That seems strange. Rowan berries aren't poisonous, and making rowan
| jelly involves boiling, but not freezing or drying.

Not poisonous, just bitter - freezing or drying changes the taste a little.
I haven't tried boiling.

| I found it like a rather strong marmalade - OK, but I prefer crab or
| medlar which are much milder.

I once tried to make aronia jam and juice and it was simply awful (acrid and
tangy). Marmalade made from apples and aronia, equal quantities taken, was
just great, to say nothing of the colour:-)

Regards, B.

Old 11-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Kay

In article , Basia Kulesz
writes

I once tried to make aronia jam and juice and it was simply awful (acrid and
tangy). Marmalade made from apples and aronia, equal quantities taken, was
just great, to say nothing of the colour:-)

What is aronia?
--
Kay

Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "Kay" napisał w wiadomości
| In article , Basia Kulesz
| writes
|
| I once tried to make aronia jam and juice and it was simply awful (acrid
and
| tangy). Marmalade made from apples and aronia, equal quantities taken,
was
| just great, to say nothing of the colour:-)
|
| What is aronia?

Chokeberry:-) (http://www.hort.net/profile/ros/arome/)

Regards, B.